U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:34 AM

714 posts, read 328,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Don't indulge personally but I'm shocked at the responses. Especially in the morning hours, there's a lonnnggg line of cars at the local shop. Seven days a week.

I assumed that they have the best donuts and/or java in town,
There certainly are enough people who like their coffee to keep them in business. And sure, if your idea of great coffee is something about as strong as a brown crayon dipped in hot water with four sugars and four creams added, getting a brew at DD sort of makes sense, I guess. Not for me, though. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Don't indulge personally but I'm shocked at the responses. Especially in the morning hours, there's a lonnnggg line of cars at the local shop. Seven days a week.

I assumed that they have the best donuts and/or java in town,
People on the food forum tend to be food snobs when it comes to any fast food or casual dining restaurants.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:02 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Time to make the donuts......is time to thaw them...

donuts...….are like ice cream about the worst thing you can eat ...but damn are they good..

dunkin doesn't sell 1/4 of the donuts they use to . a reflection of less people eating them..... however....ive seen two donut shops open nearby and make there own....

a month ago I organized a meeting in the morning.....and asked the ladies what they want for a snack with coffee......one said yogurt because its healthier and 3 said "whatever".. no mention of donuts...… I brought in yogurt and beef jerky....

Old 09-29-2018, 12:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 962,344 times
Many, many years ago I used to ride my bike to Dunkin Donuts and bring a dozen home on Sunday for my family. They made them in the store and you could buy the empty buckets the fillings and glazes came in to use at home. They had flavors, lots of them, like toasted coconut and all kinds of jellies and peanuts - more flavors than Baskin Robbins and you could pick 12 different ones and cut them all up so everyone had a taste of everything. Now they are the worst donuts on earth, Walmart donuts are better and taste fresher. So sad.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:06 PM

10,148 posts, read 18,127,033 times
The donuts were better when made fresh. For those that don’t like them anyway I argue that even something bad is better when fresh.

I think their coffee is OK but then I like coffee very much so even mediocre coffee is OK with me.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:26 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The donuts were better when made fresh. For those that don’t like them anyway I argue that even something bad is better when fresh.

I think their coffee is OK but then I like coffee very much so even mediocre coffee is OK with me.
I think they put cocaine in their coffee their are lines of cars every morning for the drive thru for overpriced coffee I dont get it.....I might go to mcdonalds and get a large coffee for 1 dollar

Old 09-29-2018, 03:59 PM

26,841 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think that donuts from Dunkin' were a lot better back in the 90's?
Not hard to be better than what they've let themselves become.
But the "good old days" pretty much ended around 1990.

When DD sold donuts and coffee they ranged from fine to very good;
which applied about equally to their fresh made donuts as their house brand of coffee.
(A pound of which sold for only about 25¢ per lb more than the major brands)

But then they started with muffins then cookies then bagels of all things
let alone the fancy pants swill so many want to call coffee ...

Old 09-29-2018, 05:06 PM

714 posts, read 328,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People on the food forum tend to be food snobs when it comes to any fast food or casual dining restaurants.
Not that I’ve noticed. For myself, I’ve posted positively about Starbucks on this very thread, and positively about Philly cheesesteaks on the iconic sandwich thread currently running. And I like some of the grub at fast food chains and casual dining spots, such as Culver’s, Wendy’s, Five Guys, Chipotle, Popeye’s, Panera, In ‘n’ Out Burger, and Krispy Kreme.

But I don’t like to eat bad food, and there’s plenty of that available via such places, too. Life’s too short to waste it eating at places like Dunkin‘ Donuts, KFC, Dominos, Taco Bell, Sbarro, Pizza Hut, and similar spots.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:27 PM

1,843 posts, read 428,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^I could have written this post except for the last two sentences. I don't like Starbucks either because of the burnt taste, but the dishwater taste of Dunkin' is not an improvement.

For a chain, Panera has good cawfee, Pret a Mange has good cawfee, but mostly a good diner or food cart in the city is the way to go if you're talking about not at home.

I don't think their cookies and muffins are that good either lol.

I got an iced coffee today. Every franchise is different. They put regular powder sugar in my drink... Liquid sugar is supposed to be for iced. And they didn't stir it in; I always used to give it a shake/swirl (yep.. Shaken, not stirred.) "Medium Iced Coffee, French Vanilla, Extra Light Extra Sweet." I forget if I said "With cream." It didn't taste "bad" .. sometimes they make it with milk which IMHO just doesnt taste as good (debate on if cream is really milk, in a different form. It probably is. Milk in coffee doesnt taste quite right.) Their donuts do tend to taste like they were made on a machine that makes plastic, they are more the "food-like substance." True, they truck in donuts from local manufacturers. Heads up: Burger King does the same with croissants. And buns. Cool.....

+1 to Starbucks "Not tasting right." The West Coast coffees taste.. Different. Then there is Peet's...

Not sure if you were impersonating the Brookitalian or Bawston accents, MQ, but I think I ate in the original DD once or twice (the one in Quincy, Mass.) I think I got only a brownie, out of respect for the establishment, and not wanting to say anything I got from there was bad.

But I am almost ready to buy a coffee maker, get DD coffee from Stop and Shop or Shop Rite (Shop Rite is cheapest! Stop and Shop costs a LOT) and see what happens. Black coffee has no sugar, unlike the soda I am supposed to give up and the Red Bull I substitute to drink less.

Maybe my old Dunkin' Donuts uniforms will become collectable. If I can find them. I think I still have a few. Not sure.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:31 PM

1,843 posts, read 428,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I think they put cocaine in their coffee their are lines of cars every morning for the drive thru for overpriced coffee I dont get it.....I might go to mcdonalds and get a large coffee for 1 dollar

You're on to something, lol.. Americans need their "fix" in the morning, and you used to come to my window to get it. As the businessman says: "You're all just customers to me."

Their coffee is made by "Sara Lee" somewhere in Massachusetts or at least that is what it says in the fine print on the bags. Knew someone who talked about how they "Freeze the beans" or something.

Want awesome coffee? Go here http://www.coffeefool.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or