U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 12:13 PM

11,080 posts, read 11,493,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
We are getting more of them here:

https://www.twincities.com/2016/08/1...polis-st-paul/

Tim Horton's are stepping up shops as well.

My guess is it is the coffee market they are targeting here as in the Twin Cities there are coffee shops and very good local roasters everywhere.
When DD left Oregon, local businesses moved into their locations and started making donuts. Every small town has fresh donuts, often at the old time DD location. That's a big headwind for KK, which opened a store in Portland about 15 years ago and hasn't done much since. The same is true for coffee. Oregon has had premium coffee since long before there was a Starbucks, and Starbucks is definitely considered second tier. I had a cup of coffee at DD once, and it was nothing to write home about. I'll stop at Dutch Brothers instead.

Every service station, convenience store and supermarket has a donut case, and they are all identical factory donuts. I have no idea where they come from, but there must be two factories, because one factory has more maple frosting on the maple bars than the other.

I have never even heard of Tim Hortons.

Changing tastes account for a lot. I used to have donuts at least once a week. Staff meetings at work were donuts, coffee and cigarettes. Remember those days? The last place I worked before I retired they didn't even have staff meetings, they just emailed info and assignments. Nobody in the office smoked. I used to eat donuts 2 or 3 times a week. Now I have donuts maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I still drink coffee, but am picky about it. I take my own filter cone and coffee on trips because I can't stand the crap they have in hotel rooms.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 12:27 PM

2,629 posts, read 1,123,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I saw in my news feed the other day that Dunkin Donuts is changing their name to Dunkin.

I just pulled up their financials thinking they must be in trouble if they're doing that. Year over year gains in both sales and profits. 2013 was $713.84 million in sales and pre-tax income was $218 million. 2017 was up to $860.5 million and pre-tax income climbed to $339 million. Most telling for food quality, their cost of goods sold dropped in that period from $205 million to $178 million. You don't slash your food costs by more than 10% without cutting some corners.

Why would I go to Dunkin Donuts when I can go to the Portuguese bakery next door and get Pastis de Nata (vanilla egg cream in puff pastry shell) and Malasadas.

Yumm. Those look delectable. Are they like the sinful "Elephant Ears" at your local carnival? Man, those were good.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:35 PM

28,230 posts, read 43,514,946 times
They recently opened a Dunkin' Donuts here in the Bay Area (one in Half Moon Bay - possibly one other location), and I was SO excited! Being originally from the northeast, I used to stop at DD every time I went back there for a "taste of home." But man was I disappointed when I stopped at our new DD. They just tasted stale, and now I know why. Very sad.

My relatives still live in Massachusetts, so hopefully they have a few locations where they're made fresh... guess I'll have to wait until I'm there again to get GOOD Dunkin', if such a thing even exists anymore.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 PM

28,230 posts, read 43,514,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Any theories as to why Krispy Kreme doesn't seem to get as much attention anymore compared to Dunkin?
Are they less of a national chain? I'd have to look up where they're located, but my east-coast relatives don't seem to be familiar with them. Also, we used to to have many stores here in CA, and now I can't even think of one that's still open - so even here they seem to have fewer and fewer. Is business slow in the donut world now, with so many people being gluten and/or carb-free?

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-30-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 01:29 PM

714 posts, read 330,663 times
Larry, Tim Horton’s is a Canadian based chain, kind of their equivalent to DD, though perhaps slightly better in my experience. It is named for and was founded in part by Hockey Hall of Famer Tim Horton in 1964.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM

3,134 posts, read 1,736,245 times
Independent doughnut shops are usually better than Dunkin' Donuts or even Krispy Kreme. I think KK's doughnuts are better than Dunkin' Donuts'.

Doughnuts are awesome tasting wherever they come from. I find them hard to resist whenever they make an appearance in my workplace. They are filled with bad ingredients though, and I try a lot to resist eating ingredients that I can't easily explain.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:42 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,327,481 times
I have a friend who goes to Dunkin every morning and orders the same thing. He says it tastes different every day. We also have a local coffee store chain (has about 5 shops) and it isn't good either.

I would only waste calories on an exceptional donut. KK and DD aren't it.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:19 PM

18,950 posts, read 12,528,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^I could have written this post except for the last two sentences. I don't like Starbucks either because of the burnt taste, but the dishwater taste of Dunkin' is not an improvement.

For a chain, Panera has good cawfee, Pret a Mange has good cawfee, but mostly a good diner or food cart in the city is the way to go if you're talking about not at home.
Ooooh, Panera’s coffee used to be good. Many years ago, before it went national, they served Peet’s coffee. I find it underwhelming now, although I do drink it quite a bit.

I actually like Starbuck’s coffee, and I don’t think it has changed over the years. Am I right? I’ve only been drinking their stuff for the last 15 years or so.

No opinion about Dunkin Donuts coffee. For the occasional donut, we patronize a local shop.

What has changed at Panera are their salad dressings which have all gone horribly sweet.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 PM

8,647 posts, read 11,904,465 times
The way I remember them they weren't greasy at all. Kind of light and fluffy.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 PM

6,592 posts, read 2,390,855 times
I like Dunkin Donuts because they aren't greasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or