U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 AM

661 posts, read 140,534 times

Advertisements

On the rare occasions when I buy donuts, its Krispy Kreme glazed. I remember a place called Mister Donut that had the best cherry cake donuts. Long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 AM

11,325 posts, read 5,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yumm. Those look delectable. Are they like the sinful "Elephant Ears" at your local carnival? Man, those were good.

They're way more egg-y than carnival fried dough so a more chewy texture. An egg per cup of flour in the yeast dough. In Hawaii, malasadas are injected with a filling. Most places use a vanilla cream but you run into places that do other fillings like pineapple. Around me, it's just hand-pulled fried dough with no filling. The word is Portuguese for "mis-shapen". You only see them where there's a large Azores Islands population. Fishing/whaling seaports, mostly. In Lisbon, they don't exist.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:23 AM

9,182 posts, read 20,215,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think that donuts from Dunkin' were a lot better back in the 90's?

I think that they were actually made in the stores in the past. Now they are delivered to the stores (I think) and they are just not as fresh. They taste weird, like the kind that are delivered to gas stations. I haven't been to one of their stores in many years. But sometimes people pick them up, and they just aren't very good.

I heard that they are removing the "Donuts" from their name. I'm sure that the other stuff they sell is good, but I think they are trying to break away from their donuts image. They used to be a true donut bakery shop.
They were way better in the 90's; and I wish I could remember the last time I bought a blueberry filled crumb donut. They were the same as the apple (filled) crumb donut but blueberry and were the best donuts I'd ever had. I used to get them in the Union NJ store on route 22. I'd say the last time we went there had to be when my dad retired about 2003; but every time we made the 1 1/2 hour ride to see him or the dentist we'd hit up dunkin and buy a dozen. Now they're so expensive that I don't know how anyone can afford to buy a dozen like we used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Are they less of a national chain? I'd have to look up where they're located, but my east-coast relatives don't seem to be familiar with them. Also, we used to to have many stores here in CA, and now I can't even think of one that's still open - so even here they seem to have fewer and fewer. Is business slow in the donut world now, with so many people being gluten and/or carb-free?
I've never seen a Krispy Kreme store in NJ. My experience with their donuts were packaged ones that tasted pretty bad. They weren't even as good as the cr@p Dunkin now sells.

According to google; there is one store 30 mins from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Many, many years ago I used to ride my bike to Dunkin Donuts and bring a dozen home on Sunday for my family. They made them in the store and you could buy the empty buckets the fillings and glazes came in to use at home. They had flavors, lots of them, like toasted coconut and all kinds of jellies and peanuts - more flavors than Baskin Robbins and you could pick 12 different ones and cut them all up so everyone had a taste of everything. Now they are the worst donuts on earth, Walmart donuts are better and taste fresher. So sad.
Agree. I rarely go there but about 2 weeks ago, I was craving a blueberry filled donut and chocolate croissant; the gal looked at me like I was speaking Chinese! I kicked myself for not getting the croissant at WaWa who's coffee is the best.

What turns me off about Dunkin is they rarely have a selection, their prices are horrible and the people at the counter think they deserve a tip. I hate that tip cup! All they're doing is their job. Tips are for people who don't make minimum wage. They should do away with being allowed to under pay people that work on tips but that's a whole other post

Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 AM

3,195 posts, read 1,852,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The doughnuts are delivered. It's why they have no doughnuts at the end of the day. When they sell out, they cannot make any.

It's why the time to make the donuts commercials stopped. Because they stopped making them.
This exactly. I don't remember when I first found out this horrifying truth, but it was a long time ago. The one in the center of my town was amazing in the 1980s. When they first stopped baking locally, ours came from 2 hours away, I'm sure they have more regional centers now but the end result is still the same.

Plus now when they are delivered, they can be late. Nothing like having to be somewhere early and having to pick up coffee/donuts for everyone and the store still waiting for their delivery at 5am.

I buy muffins from the grocery store now. They are made onsite though I think they just bake in the mornings.

If you can find a small independent donut shop - use them! I do every chance I get.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:28 AM

51,245 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I don't think their cookies and muffins are that good either lol.

I got an iced coffee today. Every franchise is different. They put regular powder sugar in my drink... Liquid sugar is supposed to be for iced. And they didn't stir it in; I always used to give it a shake/swirl (yep.. Shaken, not stirred.) "Medium Iced Coffee, French Vanilla, Extra Light Extra Sweet." I forget if I said "With cream." It didn't taste "bad" .. sometimes they make it with milk which IMHO just doesnt taste as good (debate on if cream is really milk, in a different form. It probably is. Milk in coffee doesnt taste quite right.) Their donuts do tend to taste like they were made on a machine that makes plastic, they are more the "food-like substance." True, they truck in donuts from local manufacturers. Heads up: Burger King does the same with croissants. And buns. Cool.....

+1 to Starbucks "Not tasting right." The West Coast coffees taste.. Different. Then there is Peet's...

Not sure if you were impersonating the Brookitalian or Bawston accents, MQ, but I think I ate in the original DD once or twice (the one in Quincy, Mass.) I think I got only a brownie, out of respect for the establishment, and not wanting to say anything I got from there was bad.

But I am almost ready to buy a coffee maker, get DD coffee from Stop and Shop or Shop Rite (Shop Rite is cheapest! Stop and Shop costs a LOT) and see what happens. Black coffee has no sugar, unlike the soda I am supposed to give up and the Red Bull I substitute to drink less.

Maybe my old Dunkin' Donuts uniforms will become collectable. If I can find them. I think I still have a few. Not sure.
Neither. I am from Bergen County, NJ, and we say "cawfee".

Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 AM

18,869 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
This exactly. I don't remember when I first found out this horrifying truth, but it was a long time ago. The one in the center of my town was amazing in the 1980s. When they first stopped baking locally, ours came from 2 hours away, I'm sure they have more regional centers now but the end result is still the same.

Plus now when they are delivered, they can be late. Nothing like having to be somewhere early and having to pick up coffee/donuts for everyone and the store still waiting for their delivery at 5am.

I buy muffins from the grocery store now. They are made onsite though I think they just bake in the mornings.

If you can find a small independent donut shop - use them! I do every chance I get.
We have local choices where I live. There is a great, but pricey donut mini chain in Portland called Blue Star. They do unusual, but very good, donuts. And, in my town, we have Dot Donuts. When the grandkids stay over, we take them there to choose a donut. There is a Dunkin D somewhere in my town, but why bother finding it when we can get fresh, delectable donuts made every morning from a local shop? But, we donít buy donuts often.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 AM

96 posts, read 38,295 times
Quote:
I heard that they are removing the "Donuts" from their name.
Because they're not really donuts...they're just garbage created from a bunch of chemicals that can stick together to give the "appearance" of a donut. Much like "fake crab meat." This is what is known as "Frankenstein food." Well, it's not really food either! I don't know if you are familiar with Wegmans but they have delicious (made right on the premises) donuts.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 AM

17,246 posts, read 14,829,843 times
Quote:
Does anyone else think that donuts from Dunkin' were a lot better back in the 90's?

I think that they were actually made in the stores in the past. Now they are delivered to the stores (I think) and they are just not as fresh. They taste weird, like the kind that are delivered to gas stations. I haven't been to one of their stores in many years. But sometimes people pick them up, and they just aren't very good.

I heard that they are removing the "Donuts" from their name. I'm sure that the other stuff they sell is good, but I think they are trying to break away from their donuts image. They used to be a true donut bakery shop.
I haven't liked them in years. They only put a little dot of cream in them. Actually some gas stations have local bakery donuts delivered now (Sunoco's AM/PM mini marts do this a lot). But we have a convenience store called Wawa that has good donuts, so no need to go to DD. Which will soon only be "Dunkin" as they are dropping the "Donuts" from their name.

I will say I appreciate the low fat offerings on their breakfast menu, where they offer sandwiches with egg whites, turkey sausage and higher fiber bread.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:15 PM

741 posts, read 173,771 times
Dunkin Donuts coffee is for people who don't actually like coffee.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:35 PM

4,937 posts, read 4,644,389 times
For many years, the Dunkin Donuts shop on Ritchie Hwy. in Glen Burnie, Maryland, was the largest-selling Dunkin Donuts franchise, but that was when they made the donuts on-site, and they were really good. They sponsored a team in the Little League where I played. It was certainly the most secure business in Anne Arundel County as there was ALWAYS at least one police car in their lot.

Several years ago, their original, big, neon sign from the 1950's blew over in a gust of wind. Unfortunately, they didn't want to spend the money to replace it with another neon sign, so it now has a sign like every other DD shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or