Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 17,974,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I don't think I've tried Starbucks in years now. I only ever got it when I was desperate. A few times when I had to work on a Saturday before I retired from my real job, Starbucks was the only place open on a weekend morning in the business district where I worked, so I sucked it up and got some because it DOES have caffeine in it. Bad-tasting caffeine is better than no caffeine, lol.

If I have no other option at an airport, at least a Starbucks latte is cut with enough milk that I don't get acid reflux from it.

Meh. I usually grind up Eight O'Clock 100% Colombian beans in the morning. I'm the last one to be critical of bland Dunkin Donuts coffee. As road coffee on a long drive, it's fine. I'm too much of a cheap bastitch to buy coffee regularly unless it's a restful coffee shop where I'm paying for the ambiance rather than the coffee. My girlfriend buys takeout coffee at bakeries and coffee shops all the time. My $8.00 bag of Eight O'Clock must make 100 cups of coffee. She's paying $3.00 for one cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Starbuck's coffee used to taste burnt (I know what you mean, and it was indeed off-putting), but the last few years I haven't noticed this issue with them. I drink my coffee black, too. Or at least that's been the case in the area where I live, anyway. Might be different elsewhere.

Of course when it's one of those lattes with everything but cotton candy added, you could have about anything as a basis, agreed. Those kinds of drinks are about half a million calories each, too. Not for me, and if I drank them, I'd probably weigh 50 pounds more than I do now.
Yep. I don’t drink sweet coffee either, except for iced coffee. I can’t imagine drinking sweet hot coffee. Just a bit of half and half for me. I do like lattes and Americanos. But hold the sweetener, please.

I’ve always liked Starbucks coffee though.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:30 PM

32,765 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Because they're not really donuts...they're just garbage created from a bunch of chemicals that can stick together to give the "appearance" of a donut. Much like "fake crab meat." This is what is known as "Frankenstein food." Well, it's not really food either! I don't know if you are familiar with Wegmans but they have delicious (made right on the premises) donuts.
Not really doughnuts? You may not like them, they may not be good, but they're still a life preserver shaped pastry. If a human can digest it, it's considered food.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 PM

50,130 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I hate to say anything nice about New Jersey or metro Philly where WaWa is ubiquitous but for a convenience store chain with a sandwich counter, it's pretty good. My New England baseline is Cumberland Farms where I buy gasoline at the pump with my iPhone application but try to never enter the store no matter how many free cup of coffee offers I get. A year ago, I was contracting in downtown Philly. I preferred the Halal food carts but WaWa was the closest storefront and I'd go there if it was pouring rain.
They are a good local employer too. They are still privately owned by the family that started them but they now have 800 stores. They do profit sharing for all employees even part time. A gas station attendant (c’mon, don’t you miss that?) told me they give them free soup and coffee on really cold days. Plus they all have free air stations and big, clean bathrooms. I don’t like that they are spreading now to north Jersey and into along 95 into Florida, it was one thing we had that north Jersey didn’t

Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM

5,227 posts, read 3,564,008 times
"Back in the day".... pre-Starbucks by a few decades, DD was pretty established as the workingman's great cup of coffee. I remember it being typically better than diners or fast food places. But in the past few years the 3-4 times I've grabbed a DD coffee because I was pressed for time, I literally poured at least 2 of them out on the gutter they were so awful. This was from 2 different stores in my area, plain cup o'joe, no fancy flavorings, really awful.

The donuts have noticeably suffered as well, I suspect DD is just going real low on all ingredients in order not to compromise costs/profits.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
DD donuts tastes too powdery. The donuts doesn't taste like it was fried enough and the glazes they use are all sugar with no real fruit at all. The Boston Creme filling tastes nothing like creme. The worst part is that it hardens over night and next morning it becomes solid like rubber.

Coffee at DD is very meh, I can drink a large cup and get no kick out of it. Feels like Coke has more caffeine, I think most people who doesn't tolerate caffeine very well go for DD over Starbucks.

Recently got a plastic bottle of DD Ice coffee, it was good really sweet but still doesn't have enough caffeine.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 AM

32,765 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
DD donuts tastes too powdery. The donuts doesn't taste like it was fried enough and the glazes they use are all sugar with no real fruit at all. The Boston Creme filling tastes nothing like creme. The worst part is that it hardens over night and next morning it becomes solid like rubber.

Coffee at DD is very meh, I can drink a large cup and get no kick out of it. Feels like Coke has more caffeine, I think most people who doesn't tolerate caffeine very well go for DD over Starbucks.

Recently got a plastic bottle of DD Ice coffee, it was good really sweet but still doesn't have enough caffeine.
Glaze doesn't contain fruit. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1915369

Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,694,139 times
Idk I been only eating them occasionally for the past 5 years, but I do miss their key lime donut for sure.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 AM

19,038 posts, read 25,119,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I could have written this post except for the last two sentences. I don't like Starbucks either because of the burnt taste, but the dishwater taste of Dunkin' is not an improvement.

For a chain, Panera has good cawfee, Pret a Manger has good cawfee, but mostly a good diner or food cart in the city is the way to go if you're talking about not at home.

+1
Years ago, I used to frequent various DD locations when I was traveling, but as of the last 15 years or so, they do seem--more often than not--to be selling brown dishwater in the name of coffee. I have actually poured DD coffee down a sewer on more than one occasion.

Panera's coffee is usually good, and I find Pret a Manger's coffee to be outstandingly good. As to Starbucks, if you find their coffee to have too much of a "burnt" taste, you might want to try one of their Blonde Roasts.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-06-2018 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Fixed my own typo

Old 10-06-2018, 12:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,762,684 times
The weird thing is that they don't even taste as good as the little packaged donuts made by Hostess, etc. Shouldn't they at least be a little fresher than those? They probably have more preservatives also. Do they freeze them for days and thaw them out at the store? I know that they really did used to make them at the stores twenty years ago.

It's no surprise that Dunkin is planning to remove the "Donuts" from their name. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped selling donuts altogether because they have added so many other new things to their menu it sounds like. Maybe they are wanting to go in a slightly healthier direction, which is not a bad thing in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink