Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 04:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that donuts from Dunkin' were a lot better back in the 90's?

I think that they were actually made in the stores in the past. Now they are delivered to the stores (I think) and they are just not as fresh. They taste weird, like the kind that are delivered to gas stations. I haven't been to one of their stores in many years. But sometimes people pick them up, and they just aren't very good.

I heard that they are removing the "Donuts" from their name. I'm sure that the other stuff they sell is good, but I think they are trying to break away from their donuts image. They used to be a true donut bakery shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 05:09 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I no longer get them, I did not know that about being made elsewhere. As I get older, my thinking is less "yummy donut" and more "lots of fat and sugar and artificial ingredients". So not appealing, no. And the coffee is better and cheaper at Cumby's.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think that donuts from Dunkin' were a lot better back in the 90's?

I think that they were actually made in the stores in the past. Now they are delivered to the stores (I think) and they are just not as fresh. They taste weird, like the kind that are delivered to gas stations. I haven't been to one of their stores in many years. But sometimes people pick them up, and they just aren't very good.

I heard that they are removing the "Donuts" from their name. I'm sure that the other stuff they sell is good, but I think they are trying to break away from their donuts image. They used to be a true donut bakery shop.
DDs donuts were never good, in my experience. And except for their cookies and muffins, I don't think anything they make is good.

Reportedly, their big seller is coffee, though I don't like theirs at all, too weak and wimpy and generic for me. The only chain with worse coffee in my experience is a local New England chain called Honey Dew Donuts -- theirs is actually undrinkable. I much prefer Starbucks or an independent shop for this.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:45 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Only get their coffee. You get what you pay for. Not the best coffee, but not the worst. Donut is not good in my opinion, and it was never good in the first place.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:49 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I can’t think of anything from my youth that is as good it was was then. A lot of things have been “improved” for production reasons, I think.

I don’t buy donuts often, but if I do, it’s a Duncan chocolate frosted.

Things like pretzels, potato chips, animal crackers, donuts, marshmallows, etc. None are as good as before.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:30 PM

52 posts, read 45,082 times
If it's available, Dunkin's dark brew is slightly stronger than their regular coffee.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:05 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
DDs donuts were never good, in my experience. And except for their cookies and muffins, I don't think anything they make is good.

Reportedly, their big seller is coffee, though I don't like theirs at all, too weak and wimpy and generic for me. The only chain with worse coffee in my experience is a local New England chain called Honey Dew Donuts -- theirs is actually undrinkable. I much prefer Starbucks or an independent shop for this.
^I could have written this post except for the last two sentences. I don't like Starbucks either because of the burnt taste, but the dishwater taste of Dunkin' is not an improvement.

For a chain, Panera has good cawfee, Pret a Mange has good cawfee, but mostly a good diner or food cart in the city is the way to go if you're talking about not at home.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times
They seem to have been better long ago. DD has been total crap for so long, though, that I can't even remember the last time I went to one. I think that maybe their bagels might still be OK (not sure, though, due to the length of time since I've been there.) But yeah, whenever I last had one of their doughnuts it was gross.

I also despise their weak, nasty coffee. It was always a head-scratcher to me when they claimed to be America's favorite coffee. That is either a lie, or America has really bad taste in coffee. I tend to think it's just not true, because Starbucks, Panera, and even many gas/convenience chains have good coffee that is much better than what is served at DD.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Dunkin Donuts are no longer available in Canada.https://montreal.eater.com/2018/9/5/...it-tim-hortons

Old 09-29-2018, 01:10 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Yeah, they aren't in a lot of US states either. I don't know why. I haven't seen one in 30 years. I'm astonished that each shop doesn't have its own fryer any more. When I was in high school, I worked the Sunday morning shift. The first thing I did at 5 AM was top off the fryer and turn it on, then start mixing frosting. Mmm. Sugar and grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink