U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 PM

7,602 posts, read 10,409,927 times

Advertisements

The only reason for doing it is that it simplifies shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 01:00 PM

3,103 posts, read 1,470,767 times
For some reason, I always thought of Tuesdays as comfort food day, and I would often fix something like meatloaf or salisbury steak with gravy and mashed potatoes. Don't know what that came from, but I know I used to do it.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:25 PM

19,887 posts, read 36,422,016 times
When my eldest was young, my husband was in college, and I was the sole support of our little family, I planned meals carefully and shopped carefully. After a while I had a two week rotation of meals which meant we had the same thing every two weeks. Kept me, and our budget, sane. Meal planning is generally necessary because of ingredient planning. When I don't have some sort of plan, a LOT of food tends to be wasted over time because "we're just not in the mood" for what I have the ingredients for, go out and buy more ingredients, and what we have goes to waste. Not a problem before the kids left home (there are men in their 40's who are not blood relations to me but call me Mama J who when they come to visit every few years walk into the house and walk straight to the refrigerator to see what's in it), but with just the two of us, it can become one.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:45 PM

11,735 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Good Friday and Ash Wednesday are no meat days - a no brainer when you grew up Catholic in a Catholic country. I keep it out of habit.
Otherwise - thank you to whoever invented the house hold freezer. Yes, we have a lot of similar dinners and a lot of requests by SO who is a very picky eater. Not to mention that grocery stores and variety are somewhat of a challenge in my neck of the culinary woods. Meal planning for dinner invitations, happy hour invitations (a blessing for a host working f/t) and whe we are having house guests for several days. Otherwise I ask at night or in the morning what SO would like to eat.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:08 PM

382 posts, read 75,187 times
I usually make some kind of pasta dish on Sundays.

They freeze and keep very well, plus you can use the pasta for breakfast frittatas and omelettes, and the sauce for homemade pizzas for the rest of the week.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:31 PM

12,930 posts, read 19,818,561 times
I grew up with a meatless Friday menu, and a roast every Sunday. That was the extent of the food routine, but I kind of liked knowing what was going to be served on those days.

I never planned meals like that with my own family, although Fridays did often morph into pizza night.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:35 PM

382 posts, read 75,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I grew up with a meatless Friday menu, and a roast every Sunday. That was the extent of the food routine, but I kind of liked knowing what was going to be served on those days.

I never planned meals like that with my own family, although Fridays did often morph into pizza night.
I spent a lot of time in England and Ireland. The British Sunday Roast was, and I think still, is a big tradition across the pond.

Combined with your meatless Friday, I would deduce that you have a British background.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:42 PM

13,446 posts, read 24,235,663 times
My mom was sort of like that. Saturday was mac n cheese and almost always a roast on Sunday. You could make book on those 2 meals. Friday was usually fish.

I think it was a necessary thing. Grocery shopping was done once a week, always on Monday night. And meals were planned because there was no running out to pick up something. Nothing was convenient. I think she went to the store on Monday because the grocery flyers always came out in the Sunday paper so she knew what was on sale.

She was also a creature of habit. Tuesday was always laundry day and Thursday was ironing! If the weather was good she hung the clothes outside. If it was bad, she hung them in the basement!

Old 09-30-2018, 03:21 PM

8,138 posts, read 4,464,067 times
monday was redbean and rice
tuesday was spegette
wendsday was hamburger steak

friday fish
weekend crock pot

thursday was open

Old 09-30-2018, 03:34 PM

672 posts, read 241,735 times
Sunday fried chicken.
except for Easter Sunday.
that's ham Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or