U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 8,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
When I go to an ethnic restaurant, I ask the chef/owners to make the dish like they would do in their home. Very different result to what's ordered off the menu! This is especially true for Indian, Pakistani, Thai and Vietnamese establishments. This may not work for everyone's taste unless they have a penchant for really spicy stuff!
I do the same for Chinese-American restaurants when true Chinese restaurants, like those found on 8th Ave in Sunset Park Brooklyn, are not available and the people I am with want “Chinese” food. The request elicits a huge smile or confused look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 11:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was in my fifties before I ever ate a pirogi, and last year was the first time I ever heard of anyone making their own. I hope to try homemade ones sometime.

I resisted for quite a while. Dough over potatoes just didn't sound right to be me, but I learned to like them.

Ten years in Detroit and Cleveland means that I have eaten some very good perogies ... and some truly miserable ones.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:21 AM

51,284 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Ten years in Detroit and Cleveland means that I have eaten some very good perogies ... and some truly miserable ones.
Curious as to what about those two places means you have had good perogies. Have never been to either city. I'm guessing there are ethnic roots in both for which that was a common food?

My S.O. is of Ukrainian descent. He tells me his sisters make homemade perogies. I imagine other eastern European cultures have their own, as well.

I have only ever had the ones from the freezer section.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,010,592 times
Pasta. I live in Texas and many places overcook the pasta so it is mushy. Also the sauce is often flavorless, missing garlic or any spices except salt.

The worst was the Amtrak restaurant. I ordered enchiladas. They were made with white flour tortillas(!) not corn, not soaked in broth or softened as they should be, but plain ole heated up tortillas stuffed with dryish green beans(!), cheese and other odd things, tasteless mostly and some salsa spread on top! No enchilada sauce, not cooked in an oven. Weird!

Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM

13,713 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Curious as to what about those two places means you have had good perogies. Have never been to either city. I'm guessing there are ethnic roots in both for which that was a common food?

My S.O. is of Ukrainian descent. He tells me his sisters make homemade perogies. I imagine other eastern European cultures have their own, as well.

The Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland areas have some of the largest number of Polish, Slavic, and Ukranian immigrants in the United States. I have been at many friend's houses for holidays where perogies have been served as one of the main dishes.

The frozen ones are OK as long as you avoid the ones from the dollar stores which are pretty bad.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:24 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,282,557 times
Arroz.
Mexican rice.
Too many variations in restaurants.
And I am never pleased.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:02 PM

1,867 posts, read 326,173 times
I don't go to enough ethnic restaurant to really have answer for this. Which ethnic dish do people here find screwed-up the least so it's harder for an SJW to pull the cultural appropriation card?

Old 10-06-2018, 06:16 PM

11,058 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Quote:

Yes, I worked in a Russian Old Believer colony for a while, and they called them piroshkis. They were greasy gut bombs with about 2500 calories apiece, with lots of fat pork inside. Great for feeding a hay crew. Not so good for my digestion.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:59 PM

4,608 posts, read 1,149,317 times
I wouldn't say such dishes are "screwed up" so much as they are "Americanized."

Old 10-07-2018, 05:49 AM

9,116 posts, read 3,932,227 times
Quote:
I was in my fifties before I ever ate a pirogi, and last year was the first time I ever heard of anyone making their own. I hope to try homemade ones sometime.

I resisted for quite a while. Dough over potatoes just didn't sound right to be me, but I learned to like them.

I love a good pierogi especially with some sour cream on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or