U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 AM

4,735 posts, read 2,263,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
We went from bratwurst and delicatessen sausage made on-site with little to no preservatives, to "hot dogs" vacuum-packed and very processed, uniform, and "smooth" looking inside.
I thought the smooth interior of hot dogs was just a style particular to production of sausages like hot dogs, not an evolution of another type of sausage like bratwurst that is course ground. Take bockwurst and knackwurst for example, they often have interiors with a much finer grind that more closely resembles the smooth interior of a hot dog.

https://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/5418.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 AM

5,327 posts, read 7,663,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Authentic tamales and I haven't had a great cheese enchilada since I left North Carolina. I worked with a guy whose mother-in-law was from Mexico and he brought in her tamales one time and they were delicious. Never had them that good anywhere else including a local "authentic Mexican" restaurant.

The Mexican restaurant in this NC town served the best cheese enchiladas I have ever eaten. I can't remember what kind of cheese they used but it certainly wasn't what is used here in my part of Florida. I actually went in to one little place here in Fort Myers and they told me they used mozzarella cheese in their cheese enchiladas!

The most authentic tamales I know of are “trunk tamales” in Riverside CA. The best are sold by a very polite and pleasant 16 year boy. His mother makes several varieties of tamales, he packs them into styrofoam coolers and sells them hot and fresh out of his car.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Curious as to what about those two places means you have had good perogies. Have never been to either city. I'm guessing there are ethnic roots in both for which that was a common food?

My S.O. is of Ukrainian descent. He tells me his sisters make homemade perogies. I imagine other eastern European cultures have their own, as well.

I have only ever had the ones from the freezer section.
I spent the month of July in Ukraine and the perogies were amazing. Very different than the perogies I have had in the US, which I thought were kind of meh.

Now I would like to find a Ukrainian restaurant here.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:28 AM

54,188 posts, read 38,246,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I spent the month of July in Ukraine and the perogies were amazing. Very different than the perogies I have had in the US, which I thought were kind of meh.

Now I would like to find a Ukrainian restaurant here

Where are you? There's one on 2nd Ave in NYC called Veselka.

My gripe with them, at least some time ago, is they's either boil your pirogi or man fry them but wouldn't prepare them my favorite way, boiled first and then pan=fried.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:33 AM

714 posts, read 329,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Same here. I also avoid places that feature multiple cuisines. A Japanese-Korean-Thai restaurant? RUN.

That's often the case, but not always. A few such places in my experience produce good food across the board. It's rare, though.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

My gripe with them, at least some time ago, is they's either boil your pirogi or man fry them but wouldn't prepare them my favorite way, boiled first and then pan=fried.
I’m in Indiana. I don’t think we have a Ukrainian restaurant in the entire state. I like Bulgarian food too, and found a Bulgarian restaurant in Chicago.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 PM

11,258 posts, read 5,761,010 times
Quote:

Veselka is alright but expensive and touristy. Im sure there are better spots for pierogies

Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 PM

54,188 posts, read 38,246,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Veselka is alright but expensive and touristy. Im sure there are better spots for pierogies

Best ones I had in the city were from a Ukrainian church's social hall on E 7th St, used to have homemade ones available a few days a week, don't know if that's still the case. At least McSorley's is still there.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 PM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My mother was born & raised in Philly, and will say that any cheese steak outside of Philly is just a waste of your money/calories... and if they don't use Cheez Whiz, fuggedaboutit!
All of the places there (that I've been to) offer Whiz, American, and provolone.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 PM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:

If they aren't cooked that way, they're not done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or