U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM

10,304 posts, read 12,443,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It probably depends on what you consider screwed up and how you visualize ethnic food. I actually think Italian food can be ruined too often. Honestly good sauce and meat balls are not that easy to make and many restaurants don't do them correctly in my opinion. I am not familiar enough with Indian food or German food to judge good from bad.
The vast majority of italian restaurant food is terrible in the US. I can count on 1 hand the number of good italian restaurant meals I've had here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:33 AM

4,829 posts, read 2,296,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodLuvr View Post
I stopped going to my few local fav thai restaurants due to their constantly shrinking portion sizes coupled with them raising the price on the entree
We went to a Thai place for lunch in USA and one of the group ordered his food with the shrimp option for a dollar more. It came with two shrimps! Not three, two. They were of decent size but damn.

It was great, we were all laughing and taking pictures with our cell phones while the employees watched us angrily from behind the counter. Then we all chanted "one, two!" as he ate his protein.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:29 PM

7,618 posts, read 10,437,467 times
Personally, I don't care about "Authenticity". I just want something that tastes good.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:24 PM

7,907 posts, read 10,193,251 times
I guess Italian. Some examples are Eggplant Parm--OMG, it never tastes good out. I make a really good one. One restaurant I found locally and it's pretty good. Some are ridiculous. They don't understand what it is.
I had Baked Ziti once in a restaurant. It was Cheese Wiz or something on top! The owner asked me how it was and I said Ok (to be polite). She kept pressing me, though, because I didn't say much so I told her how awful it was. She said nothing and left. Well, she asked...

Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM

13,730 posts, read 22,900,214 times
^^^

I ordered eggplant parmasan at a famous restaurant on The Hill is St. Louis. The waiter said that it was a specialty of the owner and that it was great. It was the worst as the eggplant was served almost raw. It was a lot worst than Olive Garden's at twice the price.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM

506 posts, read 335,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The vast majority of italian restaurant food is terrible in the US. I can count on 1 hand the number of good italian restaurant meals I've had here.
Absolutely this.

My pet theory about italian food in the US is that they're mainly descended from the poorer south of italy, who on arriving in italy got so excited about being in a land of plenty that they went completely over board with ingredients that were previously in short supply. "Would you like a bucket of melted cheese to go with that giant fried chicken cotoletta sir?" "sure why not?"

Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM

13,730 posts, read 22,900,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Absolutely this.

My pet theory about italian food in the US is that they're mainly descended from the poorer south of italy, who on arriving in italy got so excited about being in a land of plenty that they went completely over board with ingredients that were previously in short supply. "Would you like a bucket of melted cheese to go with that giant fried chicken cotoletta sir?" "sure why not?"

How many 1st generation Italians are still around? In most of the cities that I have lived in, most of the restaurants are run by 2nd or 3rd generations of the family. Mom and Pop who came from Italy had their traditional dishes and stuck to what worked in the old country. The second generation did not change much and were very much going to make sure that they did not screw up a good thing. Too often, the third generation sees the place as a cash cow and has no real heart for the restaurant business.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 AM

15,026 posts, read 16,621,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Italian or Italian-American?

My guess would be that there are far more bad Italian-American restaurants because an Italian restaurant is more likely to be run by a restaurateur hiring a trained, knowledgable chef, whereas most Italian-American restaurants are family affairs, and far more likely to be amateur.

Here in New Mexico, there are precious few Italian restaurants, and not many of the Italian-American variety either, not counting pizzerias.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM

51,500 posts, read 50,749,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Personally, I don't care about "Authenticity". I just want something that tastes good.
LOL, same here. A guy I worked with wanted his retirement dinner in this "authentic Mexican" place in New York City. Place gets great reviews. I got something with mole sauce. Awful-tasting stuff, but probably indeed authentic.

Same with Chinese. I like kung pao chicken or shrimp, which is supposed to be Sichuan. My daughter lived in the Sichuan province for awhile, and the people there walk around gnawing on rabbit heads. She turned into a vegetarian while she was there. Give me my unauthentic kung pao, OK?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:54 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,469,066 times
The bacon cheeseburger is a complete bastardization of an authentic American hamburger! Nevermind the Guac Burger with onion rings!

Anyone think that? I don't. I totally get the thread and the complaints but there are a lot of subtextual convos going on here too, and I think sometimes we can at the back of our minds just take it easy on ourselves as well. We're authentic in our own tastes.

That said, the Filipino lumpia I had always been served was more like eggrolls, including vegetables in the filling. What I often get are little meat-only fingers. Is it a regional thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or