U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:15 PM

17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times

Advertisements

I once ordered a pupu platter in Chinatown NYC and was dismissively told "its Americanized" not authentic....for two weeks we ate at mostly Chinese restaurants.... I had a variety of offerings and I still prefer a pupu platter when I got home

when the guy next to me asked for duck sauce and was also barked at I didnt feel so much like a tourist....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 PM

978 posts, read 783,809 times
Italian hoagies/submarine sandwiches.

A mid-Atlantic specialty. The roll is 50%. Meat is 40%. Toppings are 10%.

So hard to convince MidWesterners that Subway does NOT serve subs!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM

11,829 posts, read 7,704,170 times
The chinese dumpling or egg roll is probably the most screwed up at most take out places and nothing authentic about them unless you get them from traditional places. Almost all take out uses premade egg rolls and dumplings that have loads of salt and preservatives.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 PM

10,145 posts, read 16,726,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

Hmm.. the toppings are my favorite part! If Subway didnít serve so much stale bread, Iíd love that place.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:41 AM

714 posts, read 329,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I once ordered a pupu platter in Chinatown NYC and was dismissively told "its Americanized" not authentic....for two weeks we ate at mostly Chinese restaurants.... I had a variety of offerings and I still prefer a pupu platter when I got home

when the guy next to me asked for duck sauce and was also barked at I didnt feel so much like a tourist....
The Americanized pu-pu platter/egg foo yung 50s type of Chinese/Polynesian hybrid is actually its own unique style of Chinese food. Itís by no means authenticity Chinese, but has been around long enough to qualify as a type of cuisine. Sometimes itís fun to indulge in this kind of stuff.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:37 AM

34,581 posts, read 42,741,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I've had Pasta Carbonara where it was prepared almost like having scrambled eggs with noodles!

You have to make the sauce over a double-boiler BEFORE adding to the pasta so that doesn't happen!
As I remember, I stirred the beaten egg, along with some pasta water and Parmesan into the hot spaghetti. It remained creamy and smooth.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:43 AM

5,327 posts, read 7,663,492 times
Americans often confuse TexMex with real Mexican food. They are so used to eating at restaurants that serve Americanized versions of Mexican food that when they try authentic Mexican food they donít like it.

Many of the best authentic family-owned Mexican restaurants I visit have some poor Yelp reviews and ratings. If the tacos arenít overstuffed with shredded lettuce, shredded cheeese, tomato, topped with sour cream and in a crispy crunchy shell people think they arenít really Mexican tacos.

And if the restaurant doesnít pass out free chips and salsa you might as well forget it. That will lead to a one star ďI would rate zero stars if I couldĒ review quicker than anything.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:47 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

so true and that isn't just Midwestern states. It is any state that depends on chain sandwich places. Yes there are a few that are better than others, but most places specialize in cheap meats filled with filler, and placed in a crappy soft, over sized roll.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:50 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The chinese dumpling or egg roll is probably the most screwed up at most take out places and nothing authentic about them unless you get them from traditional places. Almost all take out uses premade egg rolls and dumplings that have loads of salt and preservatives.
I so agree and not only are they pre-made they are filled with almost nothing. I do have to admit I love the pot stickers from Sam's but they too, are not authentic. I make my own egg rolls. I do a batch about every six months. In fact I need to think of doing one soon. I might get the wraps in the next few days and do some.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:13 AM

8,003 posts, read 3,882,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As I remember, I stirred the beaten egg, along with some pasta water and Parmesan into the hot spaghetti. It remained creamy and smooth.

That's how I've always made carbonara. I don't make the sauce in a separate pot. I simply add the mixture to the hot pasta (removed from the stove) and toss. The residutal heat from the pot and the pasta creates the sauce without scrambling the eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or