Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 594,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Mine is sauerbraten. Many restaurants serve pot roast with some vinegary brown sauce.

For authentic sauerbraten, the meat is marinated/pickled for several days in a mixture of vinegar or wine, water, herbs, spices, and seasonings.

Also the sauce is never right: it should have crushed ginger snaps in it.

Believe it or not I am going to have to go with Mexican. I've been to MX many times and most of the stuff you eat here doesn't come close to stuff you eat there. Real MX food is excellent and very tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,532,049 times
I've had some amazing burritos, tacos, and enchiladas in the United States. I'd classify them as excellent and very tasty!

There was a Tex-Mex place near my mother-in-law's house that had a dish of pork enchiladas with really spicy chili over the top, man that was so good. Probably my favorite dish from a Mexican restaurant in USA. Would recommend.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,262,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
Believe it or not I am going to have to go with Mexican. I've been to MX many times and most of the stuff you eat here doesn't come close to stuff you eat there. Real MX food is excellent and very tasty.
There are at least seven distinct recognizable regional cuisines in Mexico and they all do certain dishes somewhat differently emphasizing the available ingredients and traditions.

What is called "Mexican" food in American could be from one of those cuisines, or from the broader area of meso-American food traditions which goes beyond the borders of the country of Mexico into the southern US and central America such as Tex-Mex, New Mexican, or Sonoran border cuisines.

So who knows what kind of "Mexican" food you got in America, or for that matter what kind of "real" Mexican food you had in Mexico, unless you can give some specifics.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 10-21-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 07:00 PM

6,782 posts, read 4,763,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are at least seven distinct recognizable regional cuisines in Mexico and they all do certain dishes somewhat differently emphasizing the available ingredients and traditions.

What is called "Mexican" food in American could be from one of those cuisines, or from the broader area of meso-American food traditions which goes beyond the borders of the country of Mexico into the southern US and central America such as Tex-Mex, New Mexican, or Sonoran border cuisines.

So who knows what kind of "Mexican" food you got in America, or for that matter what kind of "real" Mexican food you had in Mexico, unless you can give some specifics.
I can tell you that the man eats bugs!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,630,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Good pirogi over surf and turf? Any day of the week

I find the best place to buy them around here is at Polish and Ukrainian churches. The Ukrainian version is called Varyniky (sp?) but they are usually are just sold as pirogi.
They are always available during the Lenten season, but a couple of churches cook them - and other goodies - all year long.
Did you mean Vareniki? Traditionally, pierogie or pierogen has a potato or cheese filling. Vareniki can have fruit filling or potato filling.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:41 PM

21,826 posts, read 9,382,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It probably depends on what you consider screwed up and how you visualize ethnic food. I actually think Italian food can be ruined too often. Honestly good sauce and meat balls are not that easy to make and many restaurants don't do them correctly in my opinion. I am not familiar enough with Indian food or German food to judge good from bad.
My big gripe with Italian is that they overcook their pasta. I don't really eat out Italian much anymore. After 3 trips to Italy, I am kind of spoiled. My of Italian descent husband is making his mother's spaghetti sauce and meatballs now and it smells divine.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:44 PM

21,826 posts, read 9,382,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Actually, that's incorrect. Any award winning Italian restaurant uses canned DOP San Marzano tomatoes and not fresh.
Yep. We use nothing but SM tomatoes.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,266,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Did you mean Vareniki? Traditionally, pierogie or pierogen has a potato or cheese filling. Vareniki can have fruit filling or potato filling.
The Russian Mennonite way of preparing vareniki was with a dry cottage cheese filling, boiled and served with a cream gravy. Any leftovers were later fried in butter. The Ukrainians around here traditionally had a cheese and potato filling and were boiled and then fried. There are many variations on the theme in this area, including something called a Mexican perogy, which I've never tried. Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Wareneki

http://proudofukraine.com/ukrainian-...resting-facts/

Old 10-29-2018, 12:52 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,288,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My big gripe with Italian is that they overcook their pasta. I don't really eat out Italian much anymore. After 3 trips to Italy, I am kind of spoiled. My of Italian descent husband is making his mother's spaghetti sauce and meatballs now and it smells divine.
Funny, as my husband of Italian descent hates al dente pasta even though he knows that is how they cook it there these days. His mother did not cook it al dente and he likes it as she cooked it.

In Italy he asks them to cook it longer. Usually they do, but sometimes they make comments such as saying, oh yes, that is how some of the OLD people like it.

But here in Australia, in the U.K. and in the US I think that many places serve pasta with too much sauce and pizza with too much topping.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,288,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Chicken parm is freaking delicious, I don't care if it's authentic or not
It is almost a national dish here but it is called chicken parmi! Gotta have the i on the end!!
As in " I'll go to the pub sarvo with the chippy and the other tradies for a parmi"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink