Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times

Advertisements

Mine is sauerbraten. Many restaurants serve pot roast with some vinegary brown sauce.

For authentic sauerbraten, the meat is marinated/pickled for several days in a mixture of vinegar or wine, water, herbs, spices, and seasonings.

Also the sauce is never right: it should have crushed ginger snaps in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
Do you actually go to German restaurants for sauerbraten? I wouldn't order it from a run of the mill restaurant. The actual German restaurants where I've seen it do pickle the meat and use gingersnaps. Have you tried Old Heidelberg or Cypress Nook? There's another one but I can't remember the name right now. It's been a while since we've been to any of them, but I can't believe they've changed that much.

BTW, we pickle the meat for a week when we make it at home.

I don't order ethnic dishes at restaurants unless it is a restaurant of that ethnicity. Also, I check reviews on places using Yelp, Trip Advisor, and Google reviews (all 3) before we go to any restaurant. If a place doesn't have a lot of reviews and get at minimum 4 stars, we don't bother going there. Yes, we've still had a few not so great experiences, but it sure cuts down on them than going without first checking.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
It probably depends on what you consider screwed up and how you visualize ethnic food. I actually think Italian food can be ruined too often. Honestly good sauce and meat balls are not that easy to make and many restaurants don't do them correctly in my opinion. I am not familiar enough with Indian food or German food to judge good from bad.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
My family is way too white and way too middle America for me to have any level of discernment about such matters. I like many different cuisines; I just have to rely on others to let me know what is truly authentic.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM

587 posts, read 423,184 times
Pad thai?!

I have countless horrendous pad thai in the US...better in LA, but still hit or miss

Somehow the success rate is higher in Australia

Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It probably depends on what you consider screwed up and how you visualize ethnic food. I actually think Italian food can be ruined too often. Honestly good sauce and meat balls are not that easy to make and many restaurants don't do them correctly in my opinion.
Good sauce, or gravy as my Italian friends call it, is THE key to any good Italian dish, and uses fresh, ripe tomatoes, quality olive oil, and fresh herbs.

ANY canned or jarred sauce does not cut it for a restaurant!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I only eat ethnic foods at ethnic restaurants, so far, no problems. I will not order a Thai dish at an American diner.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My family is way too white and way too middle America for me to have any level of discernment about such matters. I like many different cuisines; I just have to rely on others to let me know what is truly authentic.
I grew up in a German household, and my father was a chef in NYC, but I cook Chinese, Italian, French, Thai, Cuban, Mexican, and many other cuisines at home.

You just have to make the effort, and go through the trouble to get quality ingredients.

Besides, it's fun! Have family members, especially children, help. And if friends are over, they can just drink wine and be inspired while watching you do your magic in the kitchen!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Pad thai?! I have countless horrendous pad thai in the US...better in LA, but still hit or miss. Somehow the success rate is higher in Australia
Did you see the show where Gordon Ramsay got reamed for making a bad Pad Thai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsyfYJ5Ou3g

Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Poutine! The few places I've found it around Washingtax they've used shredded cheese. I don't know if this is a regional variation or just common ignorance, but true poutines use curd, not shredded.

I mean, I'm not Canadian (farthest I've ever been into Canada is Victoria) and even *I* know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink