U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
786 posts, read 225,615 times

Advertisements

Hershey's "special dark" or Nestle's semisweet chips. That's about all I can stand.

Otherwise dedicated milk chocolate user here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 02:56 PM

1,692 posts, read 843,298 times
I've eaten around 90% and it's pretty good.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,155,094 times
72 % for me. I occasionally get the 80 something one, but it's a bit too bitter for me. Maybe it depends on the quality of chocolate, too.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:24 PM

5,054 posts, read 604,101 times
Lindt 90 -- and that was because it was specifically recommended by my diet. Although it is much too bitter for me to eat by itself, I melt two squares and dip strawberries into it for a nice dessert.

Btw, speaking of chocolate, this reminded me of when I was a teen and worked part-time for See's Candies in 1971-2:

I eventually was able to almost always predict what kind of chocolate customers would want before they told me. People who appeared to be "grumpy" would order dark chocolate and "nice" people would want milk chocolate. However, with so many diets promoting dark chocolate now, I don't think that would hold true any longer! (Or maybe it would as some people have a tendency to be grumpy if they are dieting, lol!)

Last edited by katharsis; 10-04-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 03:26 PM

5,505 posts, read 3,360,669 times
I buy Trader Joe's 85%, and I like that. Anything over 90% is just too bitter for me to find enjoyable.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,135,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Lindt 90 -- and that was because it was specifically recommended by my diet. Although it is much too bitter for me to eat by itself, I melt two squares and dip strawberries into it for a nice dessert.

Btw, speaking of chocolate, this reminded me of when I was a teen and worked part-time for See's Candies in 1971-2:

I eventually was able to almost always predict what kind of chocolate customers would want before they told me. People who appeared to be "grumpy" would order dark chocolate and "nice" people would want milk chocolate. However, with so many diets promoting dark chocolate now, I don't think that would hold true any longer! (Or maybe it would as some people have a tendency to be grumpy if they are dieting, lol!)
Eating a super high percentage seems to be a badge of honor. Lower percentage still obviously contains the active ingredient of cacao but you get a smaller dose...unless you eat more of it which then has more calories. Like anything it is a tradeoff.

I can't stand dark chocolate and will get my antioxidants in other more enjoyable ways. I have to say I particularly dislike people who will only allow themself an ounce of dark chocolate and only because it is healthy for them - these people remind me of rabid teetotalers and yes, otherwise grumpy people who derive true pleasure only from the sacrifice they are making to be healthy. Sorry...rant over.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 AM

481 posts, read 336,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Gone 92% before, even as recent the other Saturday (not this one, the one from almost 2 weeks ago)

I love 70% dark chocolate and have a small bar almost every day. I remembering reading somewhere that the health benefits kick in at 70% or higher. I don't think I could eat 92%. It probably tastes like bitter baking chocolate.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
I like chocolate in the mid 70s to about 80% range. More than that and it's too bitter for me. Less than that and it tastes more of sugar than of chocolate to me.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,501,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I like chocolate in the mid 70s to about 80% range. More than that and it's too bitter for me. Less than that and it tastes more of sugar than of chocolate to me.
I pretty much agree with this, although after eating Green and Black's 85% lately the mid 70's now seem like a sweet indulgence-though a desirable one. Run of the mill chocolate with more sugar has now become intolerable for me. Yuck! Too sweet.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:34 PM

33,594 posts, read 51,807,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A friend who is very much into healthy eating told me that he eats ONE square a day. He just said dark chocolate, nothing about the strength. (I tried it--was not successful eating ONE square though.)
Haha! That's me! I don't care for milk or white chocolate, it hurts my stomach and the sweet taste make me nauseated. But a square of high quality (not US made from grocery store) dark chocolate? Love it!
It's enough to satisfy craving, it's healthy and being such a small portion it doesn't contribute much on calories.
I think my chocolates are at least 70%, but I don't care for that as much I care for the ingredients. So, no soy lecithin, no milk, no emulsifiers, no vegetable fats, no added aromas, and sugar is not the first ingredient.
My all times favorite: Amedei chocolates - pure heaven! I also like Marou Tien

Last edited by elnina; 10-05-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or