U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times

Advertisements

I don’t have a Brown Betty, but I do have a blue Chatsford that can brew 6 C of tea. Every so often I haul it out, but I usually don’t need to brew that much tea. It is a nice English teapot, but I honestly prefer using my 4 C Chantal.

https://www.amazon.com/London-Teapot...atsford+teapot

I do love having three functional teapots though.

My grandmother gave me her blue pottery teapot in my first year of marriage. I used it for awhile and later accidentally broke the spout off the pot! I was so disappointed in myself.

I’ve never gotten into Chai, because the Chai I have tried has been sooo sweet. I’ve never tried Rooibos tea. Is it good?

We actually have a tea house here that I’ve never visited. I should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 AM

8,586 posts, read 2,900,085 times
In the UK Royal Crown Derby, Royal Dalton, Royal Worcester, Wedgewood, Denby Pottery etc all make beautiful tea pots.

Royal Crown Derby

Royal Doulton Official Site | Designer Drinkware & Tableware‎

Royal Worcester Tableware and Gifts - Royal Worcester UK

Wedgwood Official Site | Iconic British Tableware | wedgwood.co.uk‎

Denby Pottery - Made in England Tableware & Cookware

Old 10-11-2018, 02:15 PM

If I had unlimited budget I would own Denby china. I love their designs. I am sure that English teapots are among the worlds best.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM

72,633 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I might be out of fashion here, but I love drinking hot tea in cooler weather. I often make DH and me a pick me up cup in the afternoon, during the dreary, cooler months. I do it the old fasioned way, in a teapot. Sometimes when I feel the need to nurture myself, I make myself a cup of herbal or regular tea. I have a cobalt blue teakettle and a mid blue teapot that I use almost daily. There is something so calming about the ritual of teamaking.

If you have a beloved teapot, tell me about it. If you love making and drinking tea, post about your ritual, or whatever makes you happy about your cuppa.

Personally, I like Oolong and the blended tea, Russian Caravan, I also drink peppermint tea and chamomile tea.
Sometimes I flavor the pot with a bag of peach flavored tea.

What about you?
Great topic, OP! I especially like the seasonal ambience you give the topic. But I'm afraid to ask: what other way is there to make tea, if not in a teapot? This is a serious question. Apparently I'm out of a loop that I didn't know existed.

I like to keep my eye out for nice, traditional Asian teapots; you know--the antique-style Chinese or Japanese ceramics. I like to collect beautiful mugs, too. I consider tea/coffee mugs to be an art form.

My staple flavor is double-bergamot Earl Grey, by Stash. Another fave is Acai Green Tea, by Republic of Tea. But I have others, as well. Twinings Blackcurrent tea is in 3rd place. A couple of years ago, I went into a Ukrainian grocery store, and they had imported herbal and black teas, some from the Ukraine (rose hip tea, among them), and some from Sri Lanka--blackberry! These were incredibly cheap, costing 1/3 the price or less of common brands. I'm hooked, but there are no such grocery stores where I live, so I have to wait 'til the next trip out of state.

I agree with you, that settling into a long chat with friend or loved one over a pot of hot tea during the winter months really brightens the day! There needs to be more of that going on.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:37 PM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I enjoy chilled black tea through the week (at lunch), and hot green and white teas on weekends.

Prefer loose-leaf tea. So much fresher and less processed. I gave up the Lipton and Twinings junk years ago.
Twinings and Lipton are not in the same category.

I agree loose leaf is best quality, of course, but those Twinings tea bags are good and more convenient for me. I won't drink Lipton.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great topic, OP! I especially like the seasonal ambience you give the topic. But I'm afraid to ask: what other way is there to make tea, if not in a teapot? This is a serious question. Apparently I'm out of a loop that I didn't know existed.

I like to keep my eye out for nice, traditional Asian teapots; you know--the antique-style Chinese or Japanese ceramics. I like to collect beautiful mugs, too. I consider tea/coffee mugs to be an art form.

My staple flavor is double-bergamot Earl Grey, by Stash. Another fave is Acai Green Tea, by Republic of Tea. But I have others, as well. Twinings Blackcurrent tea is in 3rd place. A couple of years ago, I went into a Ukrainian grocery store, and they had imported herbal and black teas, some from the Ukraine (rose hip tea, among them), and some from Sri Lanka--blackberry! These were incredibly cheap, costing 1/3 the price or less of common brands. I'm hooked, but there are no such grocery stores where I live, so I have to wait 'til the next trip out of state.

I agree with you, that settling into a long chat with friend or loved one over a pot of hot tea during the winter months really brightens the day! There needs to be more of that going on.
My kids, and restaurants, plop a tea bag in a mug of hot water. I see this on TV, too. I figure that.tea drinkers today might never have had a pot of freshly brewed tea.

We drank mugs of Oolong today along with lunch. So, so good. It is a nice change for us from coffee.

We have Rusdian grocers here. I mught have to pay one a visit to see if they have tea. Ive never had rosehip tea, which I understand is rich in vitamin C.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 PM

72,633 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
We have Rusdian grocers here. I mught have to pay one a visit to see if they have tea. I’ve never had rosehip tea, which I understand is rich in vitamin C.
Yes, absolutely--try the Russky grocers. And rosehip tea def. is good for vitamin C, especially in northerly countries, like Russia & Scandinavia, that don't have fresh fruit in winter. That's why berrying and making jam is so important in those countries.

If you do find something in interesting in your local Russian market let me know. There's a significant Russian population in SW WA? Where do you live--Vancouver?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Well, I doubt Ill be doing extensive traveling now at my age, but frankly, Id love revisiting England. Id almost do it for the tea experience alone.
Victoria, B.C. is very close to where you live and in some ways it is more traditionally English than, well, England.

Murchies Fine Tea in Vancouver and Victoria, B.C. (now called Murchie's Tea and Coffee) is a very pleasant place to shop for tea and related items.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, absolutely--try the Russky grocers. And rosehip tea def. is good for vitamin C, especially in northerly countries, like Russia & Scandinavia, that don't have fresh fruit in winter. That's why berrying and making jam is so important in those countries.

If you do find something in interesting in your local Russian market let me know. There's a significant Russian population in SW WA? Where do you live--Vancouver?
Why yes, I do.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:35 PM

7,545 posts, read 7,974,415 times
I've got some great black tea that family picked up for me in Australia last month. It's very smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink