U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 PM

18,987 posts, read 12,578,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Victoria, B.C. is very close to where you live and in some ways it is more traditionally English than, well, England.

Murchies Fine Tea in Vancouver and Victoria, B.C. (now called Murchie's Tea and Coffee) is a very pleasant place to shop for tea and related items.
Alas, Victoria, BC is not close to me. But you make a good point. We could take a jaunt up there. I could buy tea. Not sure if I can legally bring it back, however.

For those of us living on the Wesr Coast, Chuck’s seems to have a nice selection of teas. They carry all or most of the Choice brand bagged teas, for instance. I really like that brand of Oolong and Russian Caravan. I checked Whole Foods today, and their selection of herbals is greater by far, than their selection of teas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,187,728 times
My DH likes Tea India with cardamon, fennel seed, cinnamon, black pepper, and a little orange peel. We add our own and don't use the prepackaged products.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 AM

4,148 posts, read 3,484,981 times
I like to drink hot tea on cold winter afternoons & evenings. I use an infuser in a cup & boil water in a my fav turquoise le creuset kettle. I go to this little tea shop which sells cupcakes & buy tea blends or make up my own. https://teacitycupcakes.com/loose-leaf-tea-menu

Right now I have pomegranate & white tea, black tea earl grey creme, huckleberry herbal blend, & double bergamot earl grey black.

And I like Earl Grey from Two Buds in pyramid shaped gossamer teabags. Plus we always have a box of Constant Comment tea bags.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:24 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,493,127 times
I'm English, first drink of the day is piping hot strong black tea. In my husbands words .. Instant human just add tea!

I buy Yorkshire Gold or Tetleys and only from the UK (family send me copious amounts via mail) none of the stuff made for the American market is as strong. For most Brits Twinings is a no no .. there are plenty of better and stronger teas to choose from.

Preference for a tea pot is a basic brown betty, I have 2 different sizes depending on how many people I'm sharing with.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:25 PM

31,262 posts, read 57,461,137 times
I'm drinking hibiscus tea right now. Tart and fruity.

My teapots run more toward the vintage American-made pottery type, such as Hall, Fiesta, Syracuse China, Bauer, etc. My favorites are some art pottery teapots I picked up at various street fairs, and some Chinese tea sets bought in San Francisco's Chinatown. I have a HUGE dinged up old teapot that I use to brew tea for iced tea.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:18 PM

7,618 posts, read 10,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Twinings and Lipton are not in the same category.

I agree loose leaf is best quality, of course, but those Twinings tea bags are good and more convenient for me. I won't drink Lipton.
However, if you're into ICED tea, Lipton's Cold brew is excellent. Has a smoky cast.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
However, if you're into ICED tea, Lipton's Cold brew is excellent. Has a smoky cast.
You know, Iíve drunk Lipton iced tea many times, and I have to agree that it makes very good iced tea. These days, I probably would add a peach flavored teabag in the pot, for a little extra.

I donít drink iced tea anymore, and I canít think why. I havenít made it years.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:55 PM

1,771 posts, read 719,297 times
I just had a Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea last evening, and slept over an hour past my usual waking time. Coincidence? I may try this instead of my usual sleep aid.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 PM

Celestial Seasonings was my gateway to herbal tea in the 1970s. I loved Red Zinger, as I recall. Now my fave CS tea is the Peach.

For quieting down before sleep, I like Stash's Chamomile blend. Can't think of the exact name. I also like their peppermint tea, for after dinner.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:13 PM

7,601 posts, read 8,024,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I'm English, first drink of the day is piping hot strong black tea. In my husbands words .. Instant human just add tea!

I buy Yorkshire Gold or Tetleys and only from the UK (family send me copious amounts via mail) none of the stuff made for the American market is as strong. For most Brits Twinings is a no no .. there are plenty of better and stronger teas to choose from.

Preference for a tea pot is a basic brown betty, I have 2 different sizes depending on how many people I'm sharing with.
If you live near Whole Foods, you can buy Taylors and Yorkshire Gold. I don't know if you have Fairways where you live, but that's another supermarket that carries loose tea that you buy by the ounce. They have lots of choices.

I think you'd be surprised about finding strong and quality teas in various tea shops in the US. I live near a whole bunch of maison kayser stores (there are more here than in Paris) and they sell European tea too, but are very overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink