U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM

6,988 posts, read 9,069,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Iím not much of a tea drinker, but I do like it, once in awhile. I have a white porcelain tea pot that I fill with very hot water, I dump that out and fill it with boiling water and the tea bags. Then, I cover the pot with a tea cozy I bought on vacation many years ago....Bagshaws on St. Lucia.

I pour it and add a little honey. My biggest gripe about tea is it tastes gross when it cools off.

Tea should taste good at any temperature unless it's been allowed to steep too long. It turns bitter, like that overboiled mess you often get in restaurants that only understand about coffee.

Speaking as a Midwesterner, am I the only one having a harder time lately finding Darjeeling in grocery stores? They have 83 kinds of green teas lately and a bunch of herbal and generic black tea, but very few of the more interesting types -- English Breakfast, Jasmine, white, red are not much in evidence. And no Darjeeling!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 04:00 PM

20,052 posts, read 13,180,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Tea should taste good at any temperature unless it's been allowed to steep too long. It turns bitter, like that overboiled mess you often get in restaurants that only understand about coffee.

Speaking as a Midwesterner, am I the only one having a harder time lately finding Darjeeling in grocery stores? They have 83 kinds of green teas lately and a bunch of herbal and generic black tea, but very few of the more interesting types -- English Breakfast, Jasmine, white, red are not much in evidence. And no Darjeeling!!!
Now that you mention it, yes. I havenít seen Darjeeling around recently.

I did find it at Amazon, though, in the Choice brand. I am not sure if Choice brand teas are available in the Midwest. There are some online purveyors of tea. You might check with them.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,034,990 times
Question Where to buy one? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
yup, the brown betty clay pot is the best! Cost a fortune ...and last a lifetime...or at least til one of the grand kids wants to use it in the yard ....

Got into different teas about five years ago...from there its been like those who only choose wines based on the seasons. So to with tea's certain ones are rare and only available during a season.

Give me a nice southern mint tea in the summer and in the winter I prefer the gold crested tea ....its a mellow tea with a bit of oak flavor to it. I get it at my India Trade store. Wish I knew its real name...I'm sure if I asked them they'd pronounce it and I wouldn't be able to spell it .

Where would be the best place to purchase a good quality brown betty pot? And what is a good price?

I read a review on Amazon, where some of them cracked Thanks.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Where would be the best place to purchase a good quality brown betty pot? And what is a good price?

I read a review on Amazon, where some of them cracked Thanks.
Apparently Brown Bettys are not a brand, but a sort of teapot made from a particular kind of clay in a rounded shape. You can get one at Vermont Country Store. I own a Staffordshire Pottery pot, which has the shape of a Betty, but is glazed dark blue.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/68158

Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 AM

For those of you who like esoteric sorts of tea, and especially loose tea, I can recommend this source. I have ordered from them in the past. They carry blended teas, as well as varieties from specific tea plantations. They also carry tea gear.

https://www.uptontea.com/?gclid=CjwK...xoCmMMQAvD_BwE

Old 11-08-2018, 03:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,175,939 times
Enjoyed this thread - we are tea drinkers from way back - in England, Scotland, and now in the US. There was a wonderful comedy program awhile back about some family in Britain who got burgled - they took everything, including the teapot, and the family went through all kinds of grief and finally discovered who did it. Long story short, all their goods were returned - except the teapot, because the robbers decided it was such a good pourer that they couldn't do without it!

The whole thing reminded me of how difficult it is to get a teapot that's a "good pourer." A good one is a real treasure!

Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Enjoyed this thread - we are tea drinkers from way back - in England, Scotland, and now in the US. There was a wonderful comedy program awhile back about some family in Britain who got burgled - they took everything, including the teapot, and the family went through all kinds of grief and finally discovered who did it. Long story short, all their goods were returned - except the teapot, because the robbers decided it was such a good pourer that they couldn't do without it!

The whole thing reminded me of how difficult it is to get a teapot that's a "good pourer." A good one is a real treasure!
Yes! A drippy spout is a pain. I enjoyed your summary of the English comedy. My Chantal teapot pours well, IMO. Here is what it looks like, except for the color.

https://www.chantal.com/teapot-for-f...s-infuser.html

Iíve used it for about 10 years now. What teapot do you use?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 AM

7,799 posts, read 8,242,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For those of you who like esoteric sorts of tea, and especially loose tea, I can recommend this source. I have ordered from them in the past. They carry blended teas, as well as varieties from specific tea plantations. They also carry tea gear.

https://www.uptontea.com/?gclid=CjwK...xoCmMMQAvD_BwE
Looks great! Thanks for posting that site.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,175,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes! A drippy spout is a pain. .....What teapot do you use?
Well, my mother collected teapots, so I have inherited about 20-30! Sometimes I use one of them, but the one I actually like best I found in a hospice thrift shop (guess I inherited the teapot collecting gene) for $4. It's an English thin china one, pours beautifully, and makes 4 cups easily. I still look every time I go into a thrift shop - you never know when you'll come across a good old one.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 AM

13,416 posts, read 18,092,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

if you have a publix grocery store they have a brand of Darjeeling tea .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink