U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,042 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Reputation: 26679

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, my mother collected teapots, so I have inherited about 20-30! Sometimes I use one of them, but the one I actually like best I found in a hospice thrift shop (guess I inherited the teapot collecting gene) for $4. It's an English thin china one, pours beautifully, and makes 4 cups easily. I still look every time I go into a thrift shop - you never know when you'll come across a good old one.
Ha! When I am only making one cup of tea I use a small white Syracuse china teapot I found several years ago at the Goodwill. I do see other pots there from time to time. I often give them a look.

But, I need no more than the three I already have.

It is fun to look, though.

I imagine having your momís teapot collection gives you joy. What a nice remembrance of your mom. Your thin china teapot is a treasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
25,448 posts, read 60,863,989 times
Reputation: 28284
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I might be out of fashion here, but I love drinking hot tea in cooler weather. I often make DH and me a pick me up cup in the afternoon, during the dreary, cooler months. I do it the old fasioned way, in a teapot. Sometimes when I feel the need to nurture myself, I make myself a cup of herbal or regular tea. I have a cobalt blue teakettle and a mid blue teapot that I use almost daily. There is something so calming about the ritual of teamaking.

If you have a beloved teapot, tell me about it. If you love making and drinking tea, post about your ritual, or whatever makes you happy about your cuppa.

Personally, I like Oolong and the blended tea, Russian Caravan, I also drink peppermint tea and chamomile tea.
Sometimes I flavor the pot with a bag of peach flavored tea.

What about you?
We are pretty similar. Our kitchen coolor theme is based around depression glass so the entire kitchen is Cobalt blue and white. We drink tea often and we use a Le Cruset cobalt blue teakettle,then we dispense the tea form any one of a number of tea pots. My wife has a collection of tea cups and tea pots mostly from the 1800s that we used to have on a shelf built around the perimeter of the top of our kitchen walls. Most of the teapots are Cobalt blue and white. I bought them for her over the years back when we were rich and when you still often found amazing bargains on E-bay. Some of them are works of art more than a tea dispensing implement.

Our favorite is a flow blue teapot, but it is too old, fragile and valuable to use daily, it is just a decoration. We have a handful of newer (ish) teapots that we like to use. One of the cooler ones has a stand it sits on with a candle underneath to keep the tea hot or at least warm.

We do not actually make the tea in the teapots because we usually use loose tea imported specially from India or China because grocery store tea is comparatively awful stuff. Truly quality tea is amazing in the different flavors you can taste in it.It is a hassle to find, a bit more expensive and more of a pia to make, but really well worth it. The flavor is night and day different.

Tea bag tea is basically made of what they sweep up after processing the good tea. It is not usually identified by type (e.g. Darjeeling) because it is a blend of whatever was on the floor. (only a slight exaggeration, some of the tea bag tea is made of crushed tea leaves rather then left overs, but none of it is good tea). I have a British friend who told me they call our tea bag tea "American yellow mud" and consider it disgusting. If you compare, out tea bag tea is actually murky yellowish brown rather than what you get when use use quality black tea leaves.

We make the tea in a pitcher with a screen bottom. You set it on a cup or pitcher or teapot (if the shape allows) and the bottom pushes up and allows the liquid tea to flow out while the screen retains the tea leaves. then we pour it into a teapot to put on the table or tea table by the couch (coffee table to most people). It is all very formal and snooty and fun. But the real advantage is the taste.

My pitcher at work broke, so at work I suffer through tea bag tea, but if you get the better brands, you actually get some bits of leaves instead of tea dust and it is decent although nowhere near the taste and flavors you get from tea made entirely of quality dried leaves.

There is a lot to learn about tea. It is amazing how much there is to know. It is kind of like wine but there are a lot more wine snobs than tea snobs. Just as I used to snicker at wine snobs and say no one can really tell the difference between Far Neinte and Two Buck Chuck, the wine snobs probably laugh and say my imported Darjeeling Number 3 tastes no different than the Lipton tea bags filled with dust. I believe I can taste a dramatic difference and they probably believe the same thing about their wines.


Tea snobbery can be a fun hobby and a beautiful teapot and tea cups that are works of art, is a critical part of the entire experience. Yes, I could dump it from my plastic tea pitcher into a plastic cup and drink it all the same, but it looses its formality. Does it taste just as good in a plastic cup? Probably, but I will deny it until I turn blue.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-09-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
25,448 posts, read 60,863,989 times
Reputation: 28284
Oh and you need to drink tea while sitting in a wingback chair front of a fireplace with a crackling fire.

Also Herbal tea is not tea. It is an intinction or infusion. Something with no tea in it does not qualify as tea. Hurrrummmmph! Snort. (Roll eyes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,042 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Reputation: 26679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are pretty similar. Our kitchen coolor theme is based around depression glass so the entire kitchen is Cobalt blue and white. We drink tea often and we use a Le Cruset cobalt blue teakettle,then we dispense the tea form any one of a number of tea pots. My wife has a collection of tea cups and tea pots mostly from the 1800s that we used to have on a shelf built around the perimeter of the top of our kitchen walls. Most of the teapots are Cobalt blue and white. I bought them for her over the years back when we were rich and when you still often found amazing bargains on E-bay. Some of them are works of art more than a tea dispensing implement.

Our favorite is a flow blue teapot, but it is too old, fragile and valuable to use daily, it is just a decoration. We have a handful of newer (ish) teapots that we like to use. One of the cooler ones has a stand it sits on with a candle underneath to keep the tea hot or at least warm.

We do not actually make the tea in the teapots because we usually use loose tea imported specially from India or China because grocery store tea is comparatively awful stuff. Truly quality tea is amazing in the different flavors you can taste in it.It is a hassle to find, a bit more expensive and more of a pia to make, but really well worth it. The flavor is night and day different.

Tea bag tea is basically made of what they sweep up after processing the good tea. It is not usually identified by type (e.g. Darjeeling) because it is a blend of whatever was on the floor. (only a slight exaggeration, some of the tea bag tea is made of crushed tea leaves rather then left overs, but none of it is good tea). I have a British friend who told me they call our tea bag tea "American yellow mud" and consider it disgusting. If you compare, out tea bag tea is actually murky yellowish brown rather than what you get when use use quality black tea leaves.

We make the tea in a pitcher with a screen bottom. You set it on a cup or pitcher or teapot (if the shape allows) and the bottom pushes up and allows the liquid tea to flow out while the screen retains the tea leaves. then we pour it into a teapot to put on the table or tea table by the couch (coffee table to most people). It is all very formal and snooty and fun. But the real advantage is the taste.

My pitcher at work broke, so at work I suffer through tea bag tea, but if you get the better brands, you actually get some bits of leaves instead of tea dust and it is decent although nowhere near the taste and flavors you get from tea made entirely of quality dried leaves.

There is a lot to learn about tea. It is amazing how much there is to know. It is kind of like wine but there are a lot more wine snobs than tea snobs. Just as I used to snicker at wine snobs and say no one can really tell the difference between Far Neinte and Two Buck Chuck, the wine snobs probably laugh and say my imported Darjeeling Number 3 tastes no different than the Lipton tea bags filled with dust. I believe I can taste a dramatic difference and they probably believe the same thing about their wines.


Tea snobbery can be a fun hobby and a beautiful teapot and tea cups that are works of art, is a critical part of the entire experience. Yes, I could dump it from my plastic tea pitcher into a plastic cup and drink it all the same, but it looses its formality. Does it taste just as good in a plastic cup? Probably, but I will deny it until I turn blue.
Iím going to disagree slightly with you. Iíve read that floor sweepings story before. I strongly suspect it is out of date. I do thnk loose tea is the best way to have tea; but it is a real pain to obtain loose tea in most American places. Using loose tea should also be more economical. So yeah, I agree that loose is best, but harder to get.

I can definitely detect better flavor in some bagged teas. I have mentioned the Choice brand, which is based in Seattle. Stash teas are OK, if not as good. I do like their mint and Chamomile blend better than their tea. Honestly I am hapoy with Choiceís Oolong and Russian Caravan blends. I like their flavors very well.

I posted earlier a link to Uptonís Tea, which is about as snooty a tea brand as Iíve ever run into. Iíve ordered from them in the past. I think I ordered my English teapot from them. You know? It is neither convenient nor economical to order their teas. If there was a tea shop a mile from my house, I could see patronizing it for loose tea. But there isnít.

I know that herbals arenít real tea. Tea is a species related to the Camelia plant. So, by definition, tea should be leaves from the tea plant. However, calling something an herbal tea, or Rooibos tea, describes a drink that is obtained by a process that most people understand. It communicates well. Calling mint tea a decoction or infusion is just comfusing.

I love making tea in the afternoon in my trusty teapot. You do you; Iíll do me. Iím glad that you love tea as much as you do. In this we are alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,042 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Reputation: 26679
Well, I had a jolly pot of green tea yesterday at McMenamenís on the Columbia River. It was served in one of those cute little Japanese teapots with a strainer. The waitperson put the strainer of loose tea into the hot water for me at the table. The tea was absolutely lovely. It is so unusual to get loose tea at a restaurant.

I have beefed so much about the poor tea service at most American restaurants, I thought Iíd post about a good experience. I will order this again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,042 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Reputation: 26679
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/t...led/ctg-00-til
I bought this a couple of weeks ago.

Then a diligent search at Chuck’s Produce turned up some loose tea. I bought Malty Assam by The Tao of Tea. This is beautiful full leaf tea, by the way, of obvious high quality. I made mugs of it today, and it did not disappoint. Lovely flavor. It is definitely fully caffeinated.

The little infuser works well, but it is a bit of a pain clearing out tea after use. I might continue to look for a better infuser.

In a conversation with another customer at Chuck’s, I found out The Tao of Tea has a tearoom in Portland. I definitely will visit.

If you love loose tea, you might want to try this brand.

Merry Christmas, fellow tea drinkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2018, 02:16 AM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,034,990 times
Reputation: 4722
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/t...led/ctg-00-til
I bought this a couple of weeks ago.

Then a diligent search at Chuckís Produce turned up some loose tea. I bought Malty Assam by The Tao of Tea. This is beautiful full leaf tea, by the way, of obvious high quality. I made mugs of it today, and it did not disappoint. Lovely flavor. It is definitely fully caffeinated.

The little infuser works well, but it is a bit of a pain clearing out tea after use. I might continue to look for a better infuser.

In a conversation with another customer at Chuckís, I found out The Tao of Tea has a tearoom in Portland. I definitely will visit.

If you love loose tea, you might want to try this brand.

Merry Christmas, fellow tea drinkers!

Thanks for the link! I enjoy loose tea!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

❄⭐🎄⛄
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
25,448 posts, read 60,863,989 times
Reputation: 28284
Loose tea is great as long as it is fresh and it was good tea to begin with. Much of it sits around for years before it is sold. Floor sweepings is a bit of an exaggeration. They used the left over dust after processing the better tea which they sell in China, and Indian and England. Where people will pay a premium for premium tea. You can find places here where they carefully select the tea and dump it if it gets too old. You pay a premium but the flavor is remarkably different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,042 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Reputation: 26679
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Thanks for the link! I enjoy loose tea!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

❄⭐🎄⛄
Thank you! We had a Merry Christmas, and many cups of various teas have been drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,042 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Reputation: 26679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Loose tea is great as long as it is fresh and it was good tea to begin with. Much of it sits around for years before it is sold. Floor sweepings is a bit of an exaggeration. They used the left over dust after processing the better tea which they sell in China, and Indian and England. Where people will pay a premium for premium tea. You can find places here where they carefully select the tea and dump it if it gets too old. You pay a premium but the flavor is remarkably different.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9380t81ql5_e

The Tao of Tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top