U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:00 AM

11,824 posts, read 7,699,774 times

Advertisements

Vietnamese coffees are great and you just need a simple strainer like this.

https://steamykitchen.com/wp-content...e-recipe-6.jpg

Last edited by Beretta; 10-13-2018 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: copyright infringement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 12:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,450,347 times
You could just make cowboy coffee. It is just ground coffee boiled in pot of water for awhile, then a dash of cold water on top to settle grounds...then carefully pour into cups. This is traditionally made in an enameled metal coffee pot over a campfire with a few eggshells thrown in the pot & you need leather gloves to handle the piping hot pot.

I have never made it indoors. It tastes great in the mountains on a cold morning with hot biscuits, sizzling bacon & some pan fried brook trout.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Status: "Fighting off mauraders, again..." (set 11 days ago)

1,395 posts, read 434,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You could just make cowboy coffee. It is just ground coffee boiled in pot of water for awhile, then a dash of cold water on top to settle grounds...then carefully pour into cups. This is traditionally made in an enameled metal coffee pot over a campfire with a few eggshells thrown in the pot & you need leather gloves to handle the piping hot pot.
I was going to say something similar. My grandma made the best coffee with a simple pot (not even a coffee pot, but a small pot you'd heat food in), tossed in the grounds, simmered for awhile (she went by smell as to how long to simmer) & then used a small strainer, the size that could fit over a mug or just let it settle on the burner for a few minutes & poured carefully to avoid grounds in the cup.

If I ever woke up & my espresso machine were broken (I shudder to think), that's how I'd do it. But, moreover, does it matter which container you use, if doing a pour over? Meaning, you could put that filter into any bowl of any material (glass, metal, Tupperware... an old olive jar), hold in place with tongs or utensils & pour over the water, no?

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post

I have never made it indoors. It tastes great in the mountains on a cold morning with hot biscuits, sizzling bacon & some pan fried brook trout.
That's exactly what I meant. You can simmer it or just let it steep. I usually pour that through some kind of strainer. When the power is out, I still want coffee.

My friend Judy taught me how to make Swedish coffee, so now I'm good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or