U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM

318 posts, read 178,383 times

Advertisements

You can get a reusable “pod” and fill it up with the ground coffee of your choice. We use a grind like it is a drip maker and it works fine and we get good single cups of coffee.

https://www.keurig.com/content/reusable-coffee-filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM

10,148 posts, read 18,127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You CAN buy those little inserts and use your own coffee. We tried it, and it was lousy coffee. Maybe it was our coffee brand, or maybe it was that we didn't use the purpose-made pods.

We each drink 2-3 cups per day and are sticking with our keurig.
I think many people try the refillable pods only to realize they’re more trouble than they’re worth.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:39 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,096,698 times
I bought one, and use it for 1 cup in the a.m. for my morning commute - when DH is here, we will use the Drip coffee maker as he will have more than one cup during the day. I may move my Keurig to my office when DH is here for long periods.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:41 PM

7,965 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodLuvr View Post
I have used a few Keurigs while renting vacation homes orextended holiday visits in someone elses homes.

They make a tasty cup of coffee, but I also noticed its easy to make a big mess with them for those unfamiliar with all the functions and operation.

That must have been some fancy-schmancy Keurig
Mine has three buttons ... small, medium, large. No "functions," just insert pod, close, press the button, have coffee. There's not much mess factor.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:54 PM

33 posts, read 25,866 times
After diamonds, this has to be one of the best marketing jobs ever. Take instant coffee that was stigmatized for lack of real coffee flavor, repackage it with a good looking machine, and coffee pods. Market it as the next best thing in coffee, convenience, and taste. Then, watch as it becomes an incredible success.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:13 PM

2,980 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDFW View Post
After diamonds, this has to be one of the best marketing jobs ever. Take instant coffee that was stigmatized for lack of real coffee flavor, repackage it with a good looking machine, and coffee pods. Market it as the next best thing in coffee, convenience, and taste. Then, watch as it becomes an incredible success.
Then watch as competitive aftermarket pods swamp the market, so "improve" the design so that it only uses authorized pods.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 PM

657 posts, read 369,892 times
To be fair, you used to be able to buy re-usable pods for the Keurig and just fill it with your own coffee.

That said, I never thought the regular ground coffee tasted great in a fast-brew machine like the Keurig so I just own a pour over filter and make it that way. I'm more of an espresso person anyway, so like to waste my money on machines that fulfill that function....

Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Thanks for the info. guess i'll stick with my 5 cup French Press.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:45 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
If you had a houseful of visitors who drank coffee off and on all day , then I think a Keurig would be wonderful. If you only drink one or two cups a day, a Keurig is ideal.

But for those of us who drink several cups everyday, and there are at least two in the household doing that, I think the Keurig is uneconomical. Also, the quality of the coffee is not wonderful. And, in my experience, it isn’t hot enough, There is also a big environmental price to pay for all of those K cups needing landfill space.

But—if it was just me, I’d want a Nespresso, not a Keurig. However, neither of these options is economical .

They are great for waiting rooms though.

How I solved my need for coffee in a house full of visiting coffee drinkers is I bought a 14 cup coffeemaker. Thank you Cuisinart.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:03 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
I have a Hamilton Beach coffee maker that has both---a pot and a spot for pods. (Pods, not k-cups.) The k-cup version of the same one I bought had terrible reviews whereas the one with the pod had great reviews.

We often make a pot and then use the pods when we are making a single cup of coffee for ourselves here or there. We work different shifts, so it works well for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or