U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM

34,587 posts, read 42,755,715 times

Advertisements

We have Tassimo, same difference. One cup and on your way, is cost effective over making a pot of coffee. Otherwise, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
The kitchen at my workplace only has them, no multicup brewers, and everyone supplies their own k-cups. I use them sometimes, but it makes no sense to have one for home use, for me. They're fine for people who drink one single, small cup of coffee and call it good, though.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 PM

422 posts, read 179,126 times
Not economical due to the amount of coffee I drink but we have a Nespresso and a Suncana (soft pod).

My little luxuries.

I do also have a ceramic pour over thing. Diferent times of day call for different kinds of coffee.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:04 PM

32,121 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
15 cups?!?! Wow!

I'm like you ... just one cup a day, occasionally 2. So the Keurig is good for me. But I'm thinking about replacing it with an electric kettle and an Aeropress.
15 cups? That's just my morning. Doesn't even count the afternoon pot. And I've cut back.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,257,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While on a recent trip the hotels had Keurig one cup coffee makers, they made a good cup of coffee and were easy to use but im wondering about the little coffee inserts as i drink 5-6 cups a day and so does my wife ,seems a bitof a waste to have to pop a new coffee pod everytime a coffee is needed,
Keurig makers are good for the public so that the coffee isn't stale from sitting there a long time, and less exposure to bacteria from sitting around. But I don't use them at home. They're not economical, they used to be anti-environmental (although that may have changed). I use an old fashioned stainless steel percolator. I buy bags of Starbuck coffee grounds. Economical, no paper waste, I have extreme control over the strength of the brew.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:53 PM

1,695 posts, read 668,965 times
At most two of us drink 4 cups of coffee a day, sometimes as few as 1 or 2. We use a Keurig and buy whatever is on sale to hold the cost down. I do miss my brewed Maxwell House from my 4 cups a day work life, but Id end up throwing a lot of it away these days. If you know people who start their plants from seeds, the K cups are great for that.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,102,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
15 cups?!?! Wow!

I'm like you ... just one cup a day, occasionally 2. So the Keurig is good for me. But I'm thinking about replacing it with an electric kettle and an Aeropress.

Yeah.. and 15 cups is actually a conservative estimate (that's why we had a Bunn. He was constantly making another pot). He was army for 10 yrs then ATC for a few more decades and pretty much all the guys he served/worked with were the same. They'd all sit in the tower smoking and drinking coffee all hours and pushing air traffic.

He was pretty disciplined in many areas but not with his health. He also smoked 4 packs a day. He passed at 63.

If I drank more coffee than I do (and I do if I'm not alone) I would start using a percolator again. As far as I'm concerned it just makes Thee best coffee (but I have never had coffee from a press that I"m aware of)!

Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If I drink more than 16 oz of coffee per day I'd not sleep for 24 hours. I can't imagine 15 cups!

I know lots of people do it though. I imagine they have some insomnia issues.

He was so accustomed to it he could drink 5 cups, take a nap and continue the cycle.
After we were married, I slipped decaf to him for 2 wks without his knowledge (he claimed it tasted awful) and he never knew. Finally I told him he'd been drinking it so he conceded it tasted fine and started switching to decaf after 3pm. Although, toward the end he was stretching that until 6pm again, lol.

If I have a cup at all after about 1pm, I won't sleep 'til about 1 or 2 am (although I heard a doc on tv mention that if that happens after that length of time, it's not the caffeine, it's actually the result of your liver not processing caffeine correctly or something to that effect).

Old 10-13-2018, 08:30 AM

If I make a reg cup of coffee in my keurig I have the Ekobrew k cup filter. One piece and it works great. I've tried some of the replacement filters that were terrible and I wouldn't bother with the many pieces to the 'official' Keurig filter.
I keep a couple of the Ekobrew around. Just empty and rinse when done. $7 at Walmart.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM

11,829 posts, read 7,707,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
If I make a reg cup of coffee in my keurig I have the Ekobrew k cup filter. One piece and it works great. I've tried some of the replacement filters that were terrible and I wouldn't bother with the many pieces to the 'official' Keurig filter.
I keep a couple of the Ekobrew around. Just empty and rinse when done. $7 at Walmart.
Question is why do you need a keurig to make a simple coffee, it is just a water heater and small premeasured brewer. It amazes me that people spend $70-200 to buy a keurig machine only to then spent another $20 on a k-cup filter just to make a single cup of coffee. Not only that, but Keurig system wastes a coffee. It doesn't give the brewer enough time to brew and often makes a very mediocre cup of coffee.

There are so many single-cup brewers that does the same job for $30. Heck I don't even need any of that to make a single cup when I can get a simple coffee strainer for $8, just pour the hot water and I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or