U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 AM

2,999 posts, read 1,017,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
...and often makes a very mediocre cup of coffee.
And really, there you have it. Expensive machine, overly complicated system with pods and whatnot, imaginary convenience and selection, all to make either a cup of "processed" coffee that's as much instant powder and flavoring as real grounds, or an indifferent cup from your own grounds that's wasting the best of them. I've never had a cup of K-coffee that was better than gas-station joe.

The only place they belong is in office and public settings where speed, selection and minimal mess completely trumps all other aspects. If you really want one cup at home, there are better options... unless a short cup of completely indifferent coffee-tasting beverage is all you're after and you're shortsighted enough to put up with the expense and waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never had a cup of K-coffee that was better than gas-station joe.
I agree. Everything about a Keurig is wrong: the brewing water temperature, the water:grounds ratio, the infusion time, the pressure... just gawdawful. Keurig coffee is only good for cleaning engine parts and to take permanent marker of a dry-erase white board.

My method-of-choice is a Clever Coffee Dripper -- sort of a mix of French Press and Melita paper drip.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Shrub-...T33/ref=sr_1_1

Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,296,237 times
At home I use an Aerobie AeroPress:

https://aeropressinc.com/

I've used one for years and I still really like it.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:34 PM

11,824 posts, read 7,695,291 times
I just think the Keurigs are just flawed device in every way. I recently got to try the Nespresso Pod devices and found them to be just as flawed as Keurigs. They advertise as higher quality pod system but it is nothing more than higher concentrated grind and using higher temps and slower brew to extract a bit more flavor but another highly expensive and dull flavor coffee. 6 Espresso pods runs you $10, ouch. Espresso is a type of grind and no reason to charge more. I can grind and brew my own espresso at home using an $8 espresso drainer or french press for maximum flavor.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:20 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Just because there is one, doesn't mean you need one.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,100,711 times
Sorry.. 61 yrs old here. Been making coffee since I was 18 (9 if you want to count that my parents taught me to make it so it was ready for them when they got up). Husband passed almost a yr ago and I bought a keurig. I'm not a coffee connoisseur but I like a decent cup. The Keurig is easier. It's easier than filling a drip and dumping a wet filter, it's easier and quicker than using a percolator, it's easier and even quicker than the Bunn we used to use. And the coffee tastes decent (depending on what brand). Whether I buy a pre packaged pod or use my own. It's quick and easy and it tastes good to me. It's always on. Lift the handle, drop a pod, pull the handle down and no carafe to wash. No, maybe it's not for everyone... Neither is a sous vide but seems that a lot of people that use one are snobs to those who don't.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:08 AM

8 posts, read 1,724 times
The Keurig is convenient when it works right. I like black coffee and my wife likes flavored mixes. The darn thing is constantly needing to be cleaned out or we only get a partial cup.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:53 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
The main reason I use a Keurig is that I'm only 1 person here and usually have 1 cup of coffee. Occasionally 2. If I drank much more than that, I'd brew a pot.
Before my husband passed we used a Bunn as he drank about 15 cups a day.
My wife and I are like that. She uses a Keurig and I use a brew pot. She only has one cup a day. I have four cups in the morning. But I'm a total coffee snob. In the afternoon I make a big latte with my espresso machine using espresso roast coffee I grind in my burr grinder. I also have a travel French Press I take with me when I go to my job out of state. I grind that coffee coarse for correct flavor. My equipment has saved me thousands of dollars over that Starbucks crap. I agree with everyone else; Keurig machines are not for heavy coffee drinkers.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Scott View Post
The Keurig is convenient when it works right. I like black coffee and my wife likes flavored mixes. The darn thing is constantly needing to be cleaned out or we only get a partial cup.

huh... you must have really hard water or something. The only time that happened to me was when I was putting a dash of cinnamon in the pod... it clogged it up some and that's when I found out you can't do that. But other than that, I've had the thing for a yr and am still getting a full cup.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I are like that. She uses a Keurig and I use a brew pot. She only has one cup a day. I have four cups in the morning. But I'm a total coffee snob. In the afternoon I make a big latte with my espresso machine using espresso roast coffee I grind in my burr grinder. I also have a travel French Press I take with me when I go to my job out of state. I grind that coffee coarse for correct flavor. My equipment has saved me thousands of dollars over that Starbucks crap. I agree with everyone else; Keurig machines are not for heavy coffee drinkers.

Absolutely... heavy coffee drinkers would be better off with anything other than a Keurig.

I used to have a very nice cappuccino machine and made my own but then I quit drinking them all together so I got rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or