U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times

Advertisements

Between my DH and we drink 4 cups a day (2 each) I love my Keurig. If you are concerned with using the K-cups then buy one of those reusable K-cups and fill it with your own coffee. I don't mind buying the K cups and I only use one kind Newman's own extra bold organic. I buy them on Amazon. I have also had the same one going on almost 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 09:59 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree. Everything about a Keurig is wrong: the brewing water temperature, the water:grounds ratio, the infusion time, the pressure... just gawdawful. Keurig coffee is only good for cleaning engine parts and to take permanent marker of a dry-erase white board.

My method-of-choice is a Clever Coffee Dripper -- sort of a mix of French Press and Melita paper drip.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Shrub-...T33/ref=sr_1_1

My husband got me this a year ago for my birthday, and it's the best of all worlds. I use it multiple times a day.

Compared to brewing this way, the k-cups I make at work seem especially flavorless.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,099,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband got me this a year ago for my birthday, and it's the best of all worlds. I use it multiple times a day.

Compared to brewing this way, the k-cups I make at work seem especially flavorless.

I guess different people care about different things more than others.

I like a mediocre cup of coffee I suppose because all that other stuff is too much trouble for me for 1 cuppa. I like the Donut Shop Coconut Mocha and I use vanilla syrup and a tad of heavy cream. To me, it's good.

On the other hand, I care VERY much what my feta cheese feels and tastes like and will spend more money on a particular type and can't stand any other whereas that might be overkill to someone else.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,322,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
They are entirely for uses like hotels, where each cup is a self-contained production and a teeny 3-cup maker doesn't need to be thoroughly cleaned in between guests, and company/cafeteria use, where many people may want a variety of brews and the same volume/cleanup issues pertain.

They are more useless and wasteful in home settings than $400 stand mixers.

I use my $400 stand mixer all the time. In fact, I have two

Totally agree on the Keurig. It makes horrible coffee, but I've been spoiled. Mostly, we use Aeropress or Espro french press to make coffee. We use a Baby Gaggia to make espresso.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM

18,848 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Then you don't want a Kuerig. And when drinking Kuerig coffee daily for a little while, you'll discover it is poor, worse than almost any brewed coffee you can buy.

That hotel environment is the correct use of Kuerig, decent enough quick coffee when away. The environmental waste of all that plastic is bad too of course.

Just buy a $100 drip maker with a metal screen filter (or paper), and keep ground coffee in stock (or grind daily). It'll brew good basic coffee (like Chock ful a Nuts or Maxwell House) or it will brew good "better" bagged coffee. It'll be much cheaper than Kuerig, and you'll get really tired of buying all the pods.
This is what we do. We buy store brand Colombian regular and decaf. We both like our coffee in the morning and in the early afternoon.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
I disagree with those that said Keurig makes a horrible cup of coffee, I like a dark bold coffee. But to each his on.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
We use a Keurig. We like our coffee, and I LOVE getting a fresh cup every single time. It's glorious. LOL

Regarding the pods...I save them, and then on the weekend, (when I have more time) I empty the grounds and put the grounds on my roses and hydrangeas. They like the acid.

I suppose I'd feel guilty about the plastic...but we recycle...so I don't. lol

Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM

710 posts, read 396,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree. Everything about a Keurig is wrong: the brewing water temperature, the water:grounds ratio, the infusion time, the pressure... just gawdawful. Keurig coffee is only good for cleaning engine parts and to take permanent marker of a dry-erase white board.

My method-of-choice is a Clever Coffee Dripper -- sort of a mix of French Press and Melita paper drip.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Shrub-...T33/ref=sr_1_1

This was interesting, thanks for sharing that video.

I've used the Melitta cone years ago. I had a question about this coffee dripper. Why didn't the coffee start coming out of the bottom of the cone before he moved it and put it on the carafe? Mine always started dripping immediately when I poured water into the cone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or