U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 AM

33,142 posts, read 39,090,825 times

Advertisements

While on a recent trip the hotels had Keurig one cup coffee makers, they made a good cup of coffee and were easy to use but im wondering about the little coffee inserts as i drink 5-6 cups a day and so does my wife ,seems a bitof a waste to have to pop a new coffee pod everytime a coffee is needed,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 7,295,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While on a recent trip the hotels had Keurig one cup coffee makers, they made a good cup of coffee and were easy to use but im wondering about the little coffee inserts as i drink 5-6 cups a day and so does my wife ,seems a bitof a waste to have to pop a new coffee pod everytime a coffee is needed,
Individual cup coffee makers are usually for people who don't drink a lot of coffee. You will burn through those pods.

You'll do better with a different method.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,100,711 times
The main reason I use a Keurig is that I'm only 1 person here and usually have 1 cup of coffee. Occasionally 2. If I drank much more than that, I'd brew a pot.
Before my husband passed we used a Bunn as he drank about 15 cups a day.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 AM

7,989 posts, read 3,874,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
The main reason I use a Keurig is that I'm only 1 person here and usually have 1 cup of coffee. Occasionally 2. If I drank much more than that, I'd brew a pot.
Before my husband passed we used a Bunn as he drank about 15 cups a day.

15 cups?!?! Wow!

I'm like you ... just one cup a day, occasionally 2. So the Keurig is good for me. But I'm thinking about replacing it with an electric kettle and an Aeropress.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 AM

11,066 posts, read 8,991,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
15 cups?!?! Wow!

I'm like you ... just one cup a day, occasionally 2. So the Keurig is good for me. But I'm thinking about replacing it with an electric kettle and an Aeropress.

If I drink more than 16 oz of coffee per day I'd not sleep for 24 hours. I can't imagine 15 cups!

I know lots of people do it though. I imagine they have some insomnia issues.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM

14,301 posts, read 17,505,128 times
You CAN buy those little inserts and use your own coffee. We tried it, and it was lousy coffee. Maybe it was our coffee brand, or maybe it was that we didn't use the purpose-made pods.

We each drink 2-3 cups per day and are sticking with our keurig.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
I've read somewhere that a pound of coffee via K-cups costs close to $50/pound, and there's the aforementioned environmental impact: https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...roblem/386501/ If you drink more than a cup every so often, you're better off brewing a pot.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,759,351 times
Quote:
Then you don't want a Kuerig. And when drinking Kuerig coffee daily for a little while, you'll discover it is poor, worse than almost any brewed coffee you can buy.

That hotel environment is the correct use of Kuerig, decent enough quick coffee when away. The environmental waste of all that plastic is bad too of course.

Just buy a $100 drip maker with a metal screen filter (or paper), and keep ground coffee in stock (or grind daily). It'll brew good basic coffee (like Chock ful a Nuts or Maxwell House) or it will brew good "better" bagged coffee. It'll be much cheaper than Kuerig, and you'll get really tired of buying all the pods.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM

3,676 posts, read 3,254,531 times
Quote:
seems a bitof a waste to have to pop a new coffee pod everytime a coffee is needed,
There's a refillable/reusable Keurig-compatible cup called MochaMate that WalMart sells for $4.96 plus tax. Reduces waste and expense, and "Saves the Planet".

But like others have pointed out, at 5-6 cups a day for both you and your wife it sounds like a Keurig machine is not the best option.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM

3,016 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
They are entirely for uses like hotels, where each cup is a self-contained production and a teeny 3-cup maker doesn't need to be thoroughly cleaned in between guests, and company/cafeteria use, where many people may want a variety of brews and the same volume/cleanup issues pertain.

They are more useless and wasteful in home settings than $400 stand mixers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or