U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 AM

11,023 posts, read 6,574,567 times

Advertisements

The reports are all online, but I never look them up. One of the local restaurants we frequent posts their report on social media, but that's because they get a 100% on their inspection each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM

11,023 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
The ones that scare me are reports of restaurants having whole chickens sitting in buckets of water outside in the summer, or any food past the expiration date or exposed to feces. Things like an employee's open drink sitting in the food prep area not so much.
When I worked as a server, there was always about a 2-3 week period when the manager thought the inspection might happen. The managers were always on us during that time, but then everything went back to normal as soon as the inspection was over.

We weren't allowed to have cups for drinks, they'd buy a pack of those disposable cone cups for us to use. Even the kitchen, they would always be asking the servers to pass them back a drink of soda. Or the plastic pitchers that were used to refill guests' water and tea had to have a lid. Those pitchers don't have lids, so we'd constantly be going into the kitchen to get more plastic wrap to put over the opening... Which would be taken off again the next time a guest needed a refill.

I think it's because of that sillyness that I don't really care too much about the reports, even if they did great, would they also do great with another random inspection 2-3 months later?

Old 10-15-2018, 03:13 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,451,704 times
the lower the number, the better the food, aim for about 75

Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM

7,580 posts, read 10,391,890 times
No. They're helpful.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In today's Sunday paper they listed 15 restaurants which didn't pass initial inspection, and they listed all that was wrong with the place, some of which is quite scary, and surprisingly, most of these places have passed inspection over the years with no issues. Perhaps the labor shortage may have something to do with it, but it certainly gives me pause about eating out, which I don't do that often anyways as I prefer to cook, enjoy cooking.

I just moved here to Tucson and in Las Vegas they discontinued issuing/printing those inspection reports, for whatever reason, and I was quite surprised to see them appear in the newspaper here.

How about you? You read them, have access to them, and does it all scare you a bit about eating out at restaurants?
What that tells me, is that for the first time in years, restaurant inspectors in your area were not taking bribes to whitewash their reports.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:56 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
I've eaten in some real dumps that have such. good. food. that I've been a returning customer. We have one here that I wonder how she manages to pass inspection but her food is cheap and to die for.

Cambodian refugee from Pol Pot's time. She managed to put all her kids through school with that restaurant and sewing in the nighttime for people. She recycles paper napkins that aren't too used and you could write in the dust but there is no way that woman is lazy, just overworked and frugal.

You've got to watch out for her extra rice, though. LOL When she's made too much fried rice she comes by with a big dish, no matter what else you've ordered and with a big smile, "I give you extra rice, Honey." That can be a bit iffy depending on what's in it.

Sometimes she'll plop right down in the booth with you and tell you a little of her terrifying autobiography. So you get a little history lesson along with your lunch.

When we first married I waitressed part-time while I went to college. The stories I could tell. . . I'll just tell one.

The cook. Wish I could tell you her name as it's humorous. This woman was tough as nails. Everyone was afraid of her. And she always had a cigarette dangling from her mouth. All the time I worked there I never saw her take it out to flick the ashes. They just fell into whatever she was fixing. I'd come in and out of the kitchen watching the ash grow longer and longer as she labored over a giant bowl of cole slaw and eventually one trip through there was no long ash.

Chef Daughter has been in the business almost thirty years now and she's as fussy as they come. Won't work anywhere where the kitchen isn't well-kept. She's always giving me little tips about my food prep. She keeps us up to date on which restaurants to avoid, which restaurants are fronts for illegal businesses and all the local gossip regarding the town food scene. It's all pretty interesting.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:05 PM

5,324 posts, read 7,661,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Keeping a restaurant 'clean' and able to pass an inspection is very difficult. Many people, moving large amount of food through a relatively small space, is daunting. Stuff falls, slops, dumps, misses the garbage can, and just the overall level of grease, steam and food stuff that is in the air and settles to the floor is amazing. At $16 or so for the average restaurant check, how much is available for cleaning?

I worked through college at a relatively good quality place. When I would close up at night after the kitchen had long since gone home, I would flip on the lights in the kitchen and the cockroach community looked like a circus. It is just part of the deal. Try keeping YOUR kitchen "inspection clean and safe" while feeling 20 people every day. See what I mean? Nobody is paying the kitchen crew for a couple extra hours each day to shine the kitchen with a toothbrush. The economics just aren't there. Better to get a write-up and shrug it off than spend to keep the place 100% sanitary.

Its part of the deal. Unless the write-up says they had a deer carcass or rats in the cooler for serving later (don't laugh, it happened in NYC) I am not deterred.
Clean is one thing, but when the health department cites a restaurant for black mold inside the ice machine is quite another. An upscale restaurant that I had dined several times had this violation and a local tv station sent a reporter out to take photos which were displayed on the news.

A Chinese restaurant in my area was cited for storing raw chicken on top of a stack of 25 pound bags of rice. The comments mentioned that fluids from the raw chicken has leaked through the bag and into the rice. Two critical violations here: improperly storing raw poultry and storing bags of rice on the floor.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:19 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
im too frugal to eat at restaurants so I dont go "out" much

the only ones that I remember around here being published was a Chinese restaurant..

Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 PM

205 posts, read 81,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Keeping a restaurant 'clean' and able to pass an inspection is very difficult. Many people, moving large amount of food through a relatively small space, is daunting. Stuff falls, slops, dumps, misses the garbage can, and just the overall level of grease, steam and food stuff that is in the air and settles to the floor is amazing. At $16 or so for the average restaurant check, how much is available for cleaning?

I worked through college at a relatively good quality place. When I would close up at night after the kitchen had long since gone home, I would flip on the lights in the kitchen and the cockroach community looked like a circus. It is just part of the deal. Try keeping YOUR kitchen "inspection clean and safe" while feeling 20 people every day. See what I mean? Nobody is paying the kitchen crew for a couple extra hours each day to shine the kitchen with a toothbrush. The economics just aren't there. Better to get a write-up and shrug it off than spend to keep the place 100% sanitary.

Its part of the deal. Unless the write-up says they had a deer carcass or rats in the cooler for serving later (don't laugh, it happened in NYC) I am not deterred.
You're braver than I am!

When I worked in the food industry, I took pride in my kitchen earning, AND maintaining, its perfect health inspection score of 100. It isn't easy. But the bad publicity from an outbreak (especially when you're serving at-risk populations such as young children or elderly/sick) was never worth it to me.

I don't understand the logic behind posters claiming the food tastes better in places that have low scores?

Before I ran my own kitchen, I worked in a rural restaurant for a couple months. In that period, I saw a rat scurrying underneath a prep table. When I told a coworker, her response was, "just one?". I was like, um, yeah. Nobody cared. They also had a sewage backup so that the tap water was unsafe... it was so disgusting but they didn't bother to close the restaurant. They just used the water from the coke machine, because somehow in their minds that water came from a different source. Oh, and due to the whole everybody knowing everybody thing in rural places, they still somehow managed to score a 93 out of 100 (an A) on their inspection. In that same town, another restaurant had gotten shut down for bleaching their chicken because it had gone bad and they still wanted to serve it. And I was instructed not to shop at the grocery store in town because when their meat went bad, they just trimmed off the discolored part and re-wrapped it.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
First, I have worked in kitchen as a manager for approximately fifteen years. I have NEVER had a failing health department inspection. I will admit that I also never received a perfect score during those years.

One myth that appears above is that the health inspectors will always find a problem if the kitchen is busy. That is not true. The inspectors are generally not all that concerned about dirty surfaces at the height of service. The big things that they look for are the following:

1) Food held at improper temperatures.
2) No thermometer present in refrigerators/freezers, food warming equipment, etc.
3) Lack of adequate handwashing facilities including soap and paper towels.
4) Lack of hot water and other plumbing issues/
5) REPEATED VIOLATIONS. Even a minor one will get you into trouble if not corrected.
6) Problems with vermin in the kitchen.

There is a famous restaurant in the City of Chicago that all the foodies seem to love. I have eaten there on three occasions. I cancelled an event that was scheduled there as they were shut down by the health department EIGHT times in three years. The owner claimed that the inspector was "out to get them" when in reality, they had photos on ALL of the violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or