U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:00 PM

6,533 posts, read 2,377,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I have a friend who thinks the best time to eat at a restaurant is right after they receive a bad health score because that would be the time when they would be most focused on improving quality.
That's purely speculative.

Why take the risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 PM

5,330 posts, read 7,667,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's purely speculative.

Why take the risk?
Exactly! Why not eat at restaurants that have never received a bad health department score?

Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 PM

177 posts, read 29,664 times
I always figure I am taking a chance with sanitation when dining out, if not with the restaurant with the personal hygiene of the kitchen staff. I sometimes go to places with open kitchens. Those always LOOK clean.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:24 PM

8,585 posts, read 11,886,406 times
I've noticed that the kind of restaurants that get bad reports are often the kind that I wouldn't have wanted to visit in the first place. I tend to like the chain restaurants or places that have a more professional feel.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:02 AM

117 posts, read 16,177 times
I try my best to pay attention to those inspections reports. I also pay attention if the people who serve my food are well groomed. All that said I went to dine at a well established restaurant famous for itís steaks that had a roach crawling in my salad. If it wasnít that I was with a large group of people I would have walked out instead my night out for a good steak was ruined reliving that creepy crawler while sitting there watching everyone else eat. So one never knows, even good restaurants are suspect.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 AM

8,647 posts, read 2,922,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Here, they often have their score on a sheet of paper in the front window or door. I don't pay attention unless the score is low. We rarely eat out, so we eat out for fun.
In England & Wales they must display by law a 0 to 5 hygiene scale certifcate clearly on their window of all premises that serve or sell food. 5 being the highest and O the lowest. It's a big green sticker with a big one to five on it and you can see straight away either on the entrance door or window.

5 – hygiene standards are very good
4 – hygiene standards are good
3 – hygiene standards are generally satisfactory
2 – some improvement is necessary
1 – major improvement is necessary
0 – urgent improvement is required

The rankings are also all put on line, so you can look them up on the Food Stanards Agency Website, personally I wouldn't eat at any place lower than a 3, and ideally you should be looking at a 4 or 5 hygiene rating for your own safety. Then again those with a 0 have usually been closed and those with a 1 oor 2 are usually under theeat of being closed by the loval authority and Foods Standards Agency unless they make significant changes.

Food Standards Agency - Search for food hygiene ratings

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme | Food Standards Agency

If you are ever in London or the UK it's always worth checking not just the restaurant reviews which are obviously worth looking at, but also the Food Standards Agency Hygiene Website ranking in relation to a restaurant, cafe's takeaways, fast food chains, shops etc.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-16-2018 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM

27,525 posts, read 17,669,809 times
I'm no slob, but I doubt my own handling of food / kitchen would pass inspection. We hardly eat out, and I don't worry about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,006,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm no slob, but I doubt my own handling of food / kitchen would pass inspection. We hardly eat out, and I don't worry about it.
When Chef Daughter starts to suggest more hygienic kitchen practices to me like not using a wooden cutting board I remind her that I've been cooking for fifty-some years and nobody's ever gotten sick from it yet.

We ate plenty of dirt playing outdoors when we were growing up and our kids did too. It takes something obviously careless to make us sick. In fact the only one who regularly has an upset stomach from something he ate is DH who has a bad habit of picking up a snack at the local gas station/chain grocery and fast food. You know the ones with the exposed wieners rolling round and round and round in perpetuity.

I think the restaurants on the beach in Mexico must be crawling with cockroaches. No doors, walls or window to keep them out. I was eating a very delicious meal in a favorite restaurant there when I saw the father of all cockroaches crawl across the floor.

All I could think was, Crawl faster, Dude, and get out of here before anyone sees you, makes a scene and spoils my meal.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 AM

7,110 posts, read 2,219,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When Chef Daughter starts to suggest more hygienic kitchen practices to me like not using a wooden cutting board I remind her that I've been cooking for fifty-some years and nobody's ever gotten sick from it yet.

We ate plenty of dirt playing outdoors when we were growing up and our kids did too. It takes something obviously careless to make us sick. In fact the only one who regularly has an upset stomach from something he ate is DH who has a bad habit of picking up a snack at the local gas station/chain grocery and fast food. You know the ones with the exposed wieners rolling round and round and round in perpetuity.

I think the restaurants on the beach in Mexico must be crawling with cockroaches. No doors, walls or window to keep them out. I was eating a very delicious meal in a favorite restaurant there when I saw the father of all cockroaches crawl across the floor.

All I could think was, Crawl faster, Dude, and get out of here before anyone sees you, makes a scene and spoils my meal.
I use a wooden cutting board, as I have for all my life. But in recent years, after each use, I rub it down thoroughly with a large microfiber cleaning cloth and spray it with white vinegar, as a disinfectant. I use the 6% solution made by Heinz, that seems to be available only at the Walmart. I get those microfiber cloths in an inexpensive pack in the Walmart Auto Dept. I use them for my cameras and sunglasses, as well as for cleaning my monitor screens.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 AM

69,344 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
A restaurant in our area frequently has violations under the “Critical” category. This has been going on for several years, yet the place is always packed.

Some of the critical violations are really gross. One that keeps appearing on the list is “Using the same sink to soak heads of lettuce and fill/dump mop buckets.”

Even though the violations are well publicized people flock to the place because they serve mass quantities of food at cheap prices.

Not me.

I always look at the reports, and I est in restaurants 6- 8 times every week on the average.
now that violation is really gross. I have seen some though, even under critical that I really do not care about.

I went to a very popular Japanese restaurant, that I often liked to enjoy. this was about 5 or 6 years ago. I noticed, as I walked in the place just looked more scroungy than in the past. I just contributed that to Asian restaurants often are dark and the decor is a little different. I was with my daughter. When the server brought us water a little spilled on the table. I used my white napkin to wipe the spill up. OMG the napkin was brown due to dirt I guess on the table. Neither my daughter or I have ever been back. That to me, was true filth. But, as I said earlier I think some of these inspections go to far. I only am concerned when a place I have visited continues to get bad reports.

Way too many are way to germaphobic these days. Relax, guys. We all lived before there were restaurant inspections or before there were reports posted. We all ate dirt, played outside, didn't even have decent cooling systems, if we are past about 70 and I could go on and on.

Last edited by nmnita; 10-17-2018 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or