U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 AM

206 posts, read 81,733 times

Advertisements

For those of you talking about using your wooden cutting boards when feeding your family, and how you ate dirt as a kid and turned out fine ... Sorry, I just had to laugh at that.

I grew up eating dirt, too. I grew up with wooden cutting boards, too. And I turned out fine, too. And I'm only half your ages.

There is a huge difference between feeding your family food that was prepared by one person, off of your one wooden cutting board, and a staff of two hundred people feeding eight thousand customers per day. There is a much greater chance of something going wrong in the latter case.

I agree that there are some pretty nit-picky rules in the food code. But they are there for a reason - I never saw a guideline that I didn't understand the reasoning behind. Foodborne illness kills people. So does putting walnuts in the chicken salad, the cook forgetting to label on the buffet that it contains nuts, and the college kid who is deathly allergic, eating it without realizing he just ate his death sentence. Try explaining that, "oh, we ate dirt and turned out fine!" to his parents.

As for the lettuce being washed in the same sink as the mop, that really isn't uncommon. There is often a shortage of sinks during prep time, and the manual pot washing sinks are just sitting there ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Good points, English Ivy. A home kitchen is a different environment and influenced by less people than a restaurant kitchen.

Here in MN a few decades ago our legislature tried to pass laws that would have effectively put an end to organized potluck suppers by trying to apply restaurant rules. There was quite an outcry. We potluck supper folks "won."

Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM

5,324 posts, read 7,661,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
now that violation is really gross. I have seen some though, even under critical that I really do not care about.

I went to a very popular Japanese restaurant, that I often liked to enjoy. this was about 5 or 6 years ago. I noticed, as I walked in the place just looked more scroungy than in the past. I just contributed that to Asian restaurants often are dark and the decor is a little different. I was with my daughter. When the server brought us water a little spilled on the table. I used my white napkin to wipe the spill up. OMG the napkin was brown due to dirt I guess on the table. Neither my daughter or I have ever been back. That to me, was true filth. But, as I said earlier I think some of these inspections go to far. I only am concerned when a place I have visited continues to get bad reports.

Way too many are way to germaphobic these days. Relax, guys. We all lived before there were restaurant inspections or before there were reports posted. We all ate dirt, played outside, didn't even have decent cooling systems, if we are past about 70 and I could go on and on.
Eating dirt is not the same as contaminated food. People actually die from food poisoning and poor sanitation and food prep at restaurants.

In a nearby city a man died of food poisoning this year.

Remember that in 2003 over 650 people contracted hepatitis A from Chi Chiís and four people died?

There have been so many incidents of hepatitis A from restaurants in Kentucky and southern Indiana this year that public health officials are advising that the general public get the hepatitis A immunization series.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
I'm just going to say this one thing and let it go. Some of the comments on here are completely fabricated. Whole chickens sitting in buckets of water? In what world? What dish? Soggy chicken?

Kitchens for the most part stay pretty clean however I'd hate to encounter a health inspector after mother's day brunch or something else so busy.

Restaurants get docked for things like and employee soda sitting on the line without a lid. A chef with a beard of more than 2mm not having a beard net. Beer in the same walk in with produce. Shrimp not being iced at exactly 37 degrees.

The inspections are designed to keep guests safe not gauge the cleanliness of a place.

If you want to know where many violations occur, take a look behind the bar at your local watering hole and think twice before you drink out of that beer bottle or sip on a mixed drink where the coke line has NEVER been flushed.

Another tip? Never, ever ask for lemon in your drink. They are without a doubt the nastiest things in a restaurant.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM

16,474 posts, read 20,009,944 times
Being I love to cook, try out new recipes, I rarely eat out at a sit-down restaurant, if ever. For me, it's an occasional stop at Church's Chicken for a box, Papa Murphy's for a pizza, McDonald's or Burger King, and in all these places I can see it made.

I would have to agree that health inspectors can be very picky, unnecessarily, and here's someone who's traveled the world, ate street food in India, China, Central America, Mexico without ever getting sick once. Mysteriously, me and a friend ate the same dish at a restaurant in Nepal one time, and she was running to the bathroom all night with the runs, and it didn't effect me in the least!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 AM

15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Overall food freshness, quality and handling, hygiene, store cleanliness................THAT is why I
am my own restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or