U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times

Advertisements

The pinterest fails on some of these are hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 2,619,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Creamy pumpkin soup - served in a hollowed out pumpkin. Don't cut the face out for obvious reasons. Use a sharpie to draw the face.

I have a recipe if you need.

Pumpkin Fettuccine or lasagna.

Caramel Apple sheet cake.

Spiked apple cider punch.
So it seems like you'd have to hollow out the pumpkin within a few hours of serving the soup - do you hollow the pumpkin "bowl", and then put it in the fridge to await the soup that evening?

That's a really cute idea.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you want to really make an impact there's always these!

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nat...t-wings-recipe
OMG, I may have nightmares tonight. That's pretty gruesome looking when they pull apart!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:34 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Oh Lord! Now that's a true butcher's joke.

Anyone have a heart attack?
oh yes we got an earful....
the person in the office I targeted (wasn't sure if it was going to happen) was a sweetheart of a lady that calls everyone (dear..."deya") I wrote below the eyeballs "hello deer" and she didnt scream but made a couple surprising "whoops" and came right to me and called me a bastard (with a slight grin)

Old 10-18-2018, 11:16 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Caramel apples on a stick
https://holidayspage.net/candy-corn-cake/

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-23-2018 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation

Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 PM

6,951 posts, read 8,878,222 times
Last year I made a meatloaf in a Jack O'Lantern shaped cake pan and frosted it with mashed potatoes with carrots. Served the gravy in a pumpkin-shaped bowl.

You could easily use a skull-shaped cake pan instead and frost it with white mashed potatoes.

You can carve "shrunken heads" out of apples, only without shrinking them on the radiator the way we did when we were kids, and float them in cider in the slow cooker.

You can also freeze rubber gloves full of pink lemonade, peel the gloves off and float them in the punch.

Gingerbread bat cookies are always good! Add a few drops of black food color.

A lot of people make that layered taco dip into a graveyard scene with tortillas cut into the shapes of tombstones, leafless trees, ghosts, etc. and made crispy in the oven, then embedded in the dip.

I like to slice bun-length hotdogs in 4ths lengthwise, then pop them under the broiler so they curl up and look like worms. Douse them with ketchup and voila.

Or modify hot dogs this way:

http://1pa6q42ounl23kigam363hm3-wpen...en-party-1.jpg

Or serve your cheese and crackers this way:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c6/bd/dc/c...oween-apps.jpg

Works great with crudites, too.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-23-2018 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation

Old 10-22-2018, 03:20 PM

6,951 posts, read 8,878,222 times
Another really simple idea is to use a Sharpie to draw Jack O'Lantern faces on tangerines, or on those little individual serving cups of mandarin oranges.

http://www.melandboyskitchen.com/wp-...5-1024x685.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-23-2018 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation

Old 10-22-2018, 10:04 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Sheena,

I am going to need the Vermont cheddar corn bread, apple caramel sheet cake and pumpkin soup recipes please!

You can still have a Halloween party this year, just make it on a small scale. Do a large one next year!

All - Thank you for all the great ideas! Have a Happy Halloween!
Apple Carame Sheet Cake -

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon'
dash of nutmeg
3 cups peeled and cored apples (about 3 med-large apples)
11/2 tsp baking soda
21/3 cups all purpose flour

Icing -

1/2 cup unsalted butter
8 oz cream cheese
31/2 cups powdwdered sugar.
1/3 cup caramel sauce. I use Smuckers in the squit bottle and make it into checks.

Cake recipe -

Pre heat oven to 350.
Mix oil, apple sauce, and sugar well
Add eggs, one at a time until well blended
at vanilla, salt, spices and baking soda. Mix well.
Mix in flour until just combined
Spread on a well greased 13X18 jelly roll pan
bake 18-20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

Icing recipe -

While the cake is baking, in a sauce pan, melt cream cheese,& Butter over medium heat Continue cooking until there are no lumps and mixture starts to bubble.
Stir in powdered sugar until smooth.
Pour on HOT cake. Once it cools, drizzle with caramel sauce.
Store in the refrigerator. Lightly cover with foil.

This is oooey gooey, really delicious, and full of apples.

The other recipes are coming and are even easier!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So it seems like you'd have to hollow out the pumpkin within a few hours of serving the soup - do you hollow the pumpkin "bowl", and then put it in the fridge to await the soup that evening?

That's a really cute idea.
No. I'm bad. I hope the recipe does not disapoint I use canned pumpkin. The pumpkin is just a decoration. I do roast the seeds, though.

The soup is very good though and easy. I'll post it tomorrow. I still need to find it

Cheddar Corn bread coming up too!

Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM

These are the spices and basic recipe that I use. Slow Cooker Spicy and Creamy Pumpkin Soup

HOWEVER - I don't really like canola oil. If you do, fine. I use Grapeseed.

This recipe is vegan (one of my kids is very strict and that's when I found something like this) But, if you prefer dairy products use them instead. Full fat coconut milk is very rich, so I'd probably swap it out with cream instead of milk.

While the recipe calls for vegetable broth, feel free to use chicken. I don't make my own. I use "Imagine" brand.

As for the canned pumpkin, DO NOT USE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING - just plane PUMPKIN.

I serve this as a first course on Thanksgiving from a tureen but on Halloween I use a hollowed out pumpkin surrounded by Autumn leaves from a craft store. I cook the insides of the pumpkin and freeze it for my dogs. I know, I should probably learn to use it.

I do roast the seeds though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or