U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 AM

681 posts, read 143,567 times

Advertisements

We have a butcher/grocery store close by. They offer chicken both ways. Our go to is the chicken thighs which are bone in /skin on. Especially when they offer them in family packs for .79 per pound. I don't mind cutting the bone out if a recipe calls for skinless/boneless. I make Myron Mixon's cupcake thighs quite often. They require the whole thigh. I just trim the bone ends for a neater thigh. Myron thinks very highly of himself, is not afraid to let others know it, but the man knows how to do BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 05:53 AM

34,653 posts, read 42,792,739 times
The only version of chicken that I can’t find is skin on boneless breasts. I make an Ina Garten recipe with herbed goat cheese and sun dried tomato under the skin, so when I make that I need to buy bone in and bone it myself.

I’m sure if I asked Publix, they could provide it, but it’s no big deal to do it myself.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:15 AM

20,222 posts, read 28,305,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I met an old lady once who claimed chicken meat has a much higher fat content than in the past and the flavor just isn't quite the same. I think factory farming is to blame for all the bad stuff in chicken.
That would be accurate. Chickens raised the old fashioned way (in pasture, free range) are leaner and actually taste like chicken versus the abomination with the weird texture that comes out of raising chickens in factory conditions with no room to roam. Luckily the better variety has become much more available and is easy to find, just look for the words "pastured or pasture-raised" since the happy sounding term "free range" means nothing other than the fact they might have had a few square feet to move around inside a barn.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 AM

758 posts, read 368,428 times
Most people are health conscious these days.....which is a good thing. Chicken skin is probable the worse thing you could eat. Buy a whole chicken...gets you everything you want....plus the bones for a good stock.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:18 AM

91 posts, read 19,299 times
I think they take the chicken skin, mix it with some actual chicken meat, grind it all up, form it into breaded patties, and sell it as chicken meat patties.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:32 AM

800 posts, read 181,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?
I have noticed it - but we only by skin-on chicken!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:03 AM

27,607 posts, read 17,689,431 times
I can find it both here no problem.

I rotate buying whole thighs (with skin and bone) and boneless skinless breasts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,414,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?
I don't know what "sproingy" chicken skin means. What does it mean? I've never been "FURIOUS" about buying chicken, either, for any reason. Seems a bit extreme. I can image that you'd be upset if you can't buy what you want - but furious seems a bit over the top.

Where I live and every other place I've lived or visited, I've always been able to find chicken with and without skin. There is an exception to my statement - I don't recall ever seeing skinless chicken wings or drumsticks anywhere. Maybe that's because I just didn't notice them, but I don't think so. Next time I go to the store, I'm going to look.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:48 AM

621 posts, read 409,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That would be accurate. Chickens raised the old fashioned way (in pasture, free range) are leaner and actually taste like chicken versus the abomination with the weird texture that comes out of raising chickens in factory conditions with no room to roam. Luckily the better variety has become much more available and is easy to find, just look for the words "pastured or pasture-raised" since the happy sounding term "free range" means nothing other than the fact they might have had a few square feet to move around inside a barn.
I have heard that also about free range, not quite what it sounds like.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM

15,240 posts, read 15,242,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I met an old lady once who claimed chicken meat has a much higher fat content than in the past and the flavor just isn't quite the same. I think factory farming is to blame for all the bad stuff in chicken.

HUM, I mainly eat the evil and nightmarish "factory chicken" and also eat free-range when I can get it cheaply....they both taste pretty good and quite similar to me.

Providing food to billions requires an efficient process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or