U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 PM
 
17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
Reputation: 31299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Its not as simple as you suggest. The removal of skin was because processors found a way to monetize it. Yes there was demand - but it was demand for the skin from other parties, not demand from consumers to remove the skin. Many consumers get frustrated that some stores only sell skinless cuts. Increasingly though more stores are reverting to having both skinless and skin-on options.
the removal of skin is because mrs consumer demanded it ……. lean and low fat ….

along with the bnls /skinless chicken breasts the pork chops went boneless (are bought 10-1 over bone in) and most steaks are boneless now too

part of the reason is......before 1970's 70-80% of women did not work outside the home.....

after the 1970's 80% of women worked outside of the home...and with that came convenient foods...no coincidence the microwave came along at this time and the freezer section in grocery stores exploded...
the lady of the house was not going to come home on a week night after working all day and cook a large meal/ or meal that took a long time..... and this is why boneless meats became popular....they were quicker and again leaner (healthier) chicken skin got demonized along with meat fats
just my two cents ( but ive worked in grocery stores for over 35 years in meat departments so I had a first hand view of how trends went .

also consider this …. over 50 , 75 yrs ago many raised there own chickens.....my grandmother use to tell us kids she would pluck and dress the chickens for sunday dinner..- today many get "grossed-out" just touching meats …..again boneless looks cleaner and easier to prep (we are spoiled)

growing up it was not uncommon to have a brisket or ham during the week (if the lady of the house was there and had the time to cook) not so much today hams (and other long cooking meats) sell on the weekends 50-1 … bone in pork roasts which taste way better than boneless..... barely sell during the week..... even in meat departments that sell over 100k in sales per week …

all this is tied in with the demand for boneless breasts


however I do supervise over 40 grocery stores (meat and deli departments ) and have urged them to offer more skin on boneless breasts this week - because of this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 PM
 
1,312 posts, read 836,626 times
Reputation: 1984
I picked up some chicken thighs for my sister this week from Sprouts, and she specifically wanted the skin on and the bone in!! Flavor packed.

They offer the chicken both ways at there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM
 
905 posts, read 814,841 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Furious? No. Not even close.

Supply and demand, plain and simple.

But it's not like you don't have alternatives. Split, bone in, chicken breasts has skin 100% of the time (in my experience).

So I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is.

If you are as upset as you say you are (and I'm calling BS, this is some sort of rant for the sake of ranting) you can surely go to a reputable butcher or high end market and get EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.

If you were truly furious and "pig biting" mad, you would have found a way to ease your anger. But you haven't. Because you're not mad. You're just trying to make some weird statement.



I was wondering this too... you dont' have a grocery store with a butcher in it nearby? That is the obvious answer......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 PM
 
17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
Reputation: 31299
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I was wondering this too... you dont' have a grocery store with a butcher in it nearby? That is the obvious answer......
a butcher will happily bone out a whole chicken breasdt and leave the skin on..

I even bone out turkeys for thanksgiving




its not that difficult to debone your own breasts

here's an old video I took of a guy who boned 100lbs a day just for boneless skin on breast


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ_CEbrnQ3k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM
 
905 posts, read 814,841 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a butcher will happily bone out a whole chicken breasdt and leave the skin on..

I even bone out turkeys for thanksgiving




its not that difficult to debone your own breasts

here's an old video I took of a guy who boned 100lbs a day just for boneless skin on breast


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ_CEbrnQ3k



I've heard it's pretty easy, but i scare myself with a sharp knife LOL... plus i have an great store with a great butcher in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
 
621 posts, read 407,928 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
HUM, I mainly eat the evil and nightmarish "factory chicken" and also eat free-range when I can get it cheaply....they both taste pretty good and quite similar to me.

Providing food to billions requires an efficient process.
No doubt, I only quoted what the elderly lady said after looking at this stuff for many, many years, I'm sure she knows something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,199 posts, read 15,232,299 times
Reputation: 10940
OK, I do not find fat or skin gross.....to me they seem to balance-out most cuts of meat nicely. So when I buy a piece/cut of meat, and it has basically been butchered so there is only protein and very, very little visible fat, that to me is terrifyingly pathetic.

Your body can readily use fat as a source of energy if needed.

A broiled half-chicken, or duck for that matter, with crackly, crunchy, crunchilicious skin is to die for.

Every bought one of those tiny, fancy, microchickens.....are you really going to deskin that bird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
7,110 posts, read 2,219,897 times
Reputation: 9671
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?

Until about 4 or 5 years ago, it was common to find jumbo packs of chicken breasts in stores, that included the bones and skin and typically sold for 99 cents per lb. But then, that changed and most packs of breasts are now boneless and skinless and seem to average about $1.99. per lb. The stores are probably getting about 50% more money for the amount of meat they are providing. They spend a bit more on labor and get a lot more in profits. Is there any question why they do this? Buying a whole chicken may be the only way to get the skin, in most stores. So what happens to all that trimmed skin? Does it go into the ground chicken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,199 posts, read 15,232,299 times
Reputation: 10940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Until about 4 or 5 years ago, it was common to find jumbo packs of chicken breasts in stores, that included the bones and skin and typically sold for 99 cents per lb. But then, that changed and most packs of breasts are now boneless and skinless and seem to average about $1.99. per lb. The stores are probably getting about 50% more money for the amount of meat they are providing. They spend a bit more on labor and get a lot more in profits. Is there any question why they do this? Buying a whole chicken may be the only way to get the skin, in most stores. So what happens to all that trimmed skin? Does it go into the ground chicken?


You are onto to something......the fat and skin is, I suspect, being used as a new and huge profit-machine. That, combined with the current high chicken prices, reeks suspiciously of some sort of conspiracy.

I sometime see spiffed-up, boneless, skinless chicken-breasts selling for prices verging on total insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,441 posts, read 24,226,897 times
Reputation: 24756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That would be accurate. Chickens raised the old fashioned way (in pasture, free range) are leaner and actually taste like chicken versus the abomination with the weird texture that comes out of raising chickens in factory conditions with no room to roam. Luckily the better variety has become much more available and is easy to find, just look for the words "pastured or pasture-raised" since the happy sounding term "free range" means nothing other than the fact they might have had a few square feet to move around inside a barn.
Quite a few years ago I was eating at a small family restaurant in Wyoming. I ordered chicken. Something I eat all the time. Well, I was pretty convinced what I got wasn't chicken. I had everyone else taste it and we agreed it was odd. Not bad, just different. Finally I asked the waitress. She laughed and said she heard that all the time and we must be from the city. And we were. She said that chicken was out in the yard yesterday and on my plate today. They raised their own chickens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top