U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:58 AM

9,237 posts, read 20,285,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Until about 4 or 5 years ago, it was common to find jumbo packs of chicken breasts in stores, that included the bones and skin and typically sold for 99 cents per lb. But then, that changed and most packs of breasts are now boneless and skinless and seem to average about $1.99. per lb. The stores are probably getting about 50% more money for the amount of meat they are providing. They spend a bit more on labor and get a lot more in profits. Is there any question why they do this? Buying a whole chicken may be the only way to get the skin, in most stores. So what happens to all that trimmed skin? Does it go into the ground chicken?
No doubt they've found a way to make money on the discarded parts. I'd say the dog food market.

The new thing at my Walmart is boneless, skinless thighs which I don't buy. I need the bones a nd skin for my chicken paprikosh (Hungarian chicken) recipe. The fat and skin makes the sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 AM

69,500 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?
Well I certainly wouldn't say I am furious about it but yes, I used to love to eat the skins when mom would cook them super crisp. I still like the skins for making broth. All the goodbye to foods that were not considered healthy have disappeared and in place we have foods that are unhealthy in other ways.

Because we don't see some of these foods anymore, the younger generation can't imagine eating any of what some of us used to enjoy. Of course we need to remember what eating habits were in the 19th century and before. Most of us wouldn't consider eating the way our great grandparents did.

BTW, no I don't remember back that far: I am old but not old enough to remember the 19th century.. I do remember reading about the traditional Thanksgiving dinner back then. Most would be shocked.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 AM

69,500 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the removal of skin is because mrs consumer demanded it . lean and low fat .

along with the bnls /skinless chicken breasts the pork chops went boneless (are bought 10-1 over bone in) and most steaks are boneless now too

part of the reason is......before 1970's 70-80% of women did not work outside the home.....

after the 1970's 80% of women worked outside of the home...and with that came convenient foods...no coincidence the microwave came along at this time and the freezer section in grocery stores exploded...
the lady of the house was not going to come home on a week night after working all day and cook a large meal/ or meal that took a long time..... and this is why boneless meats became popular....they were quicker and again leaner (healthier) chicken skin got demonized along with meat fats
just my two cents ( but ive worked in grocery stores for over 35 years in meat departments so I had a first hand view of how trends went .

also consider this . over 50 , 75 yrs ago many raised there own chickens.....my grandmother use to tell us kids she would pluck and dress the chickens for sunday dinner..- today many get "grossed-out" just touching meats ..again boneless looks cleaner and easier to prep (we are spoiled)

growing up it was not uncommon to have a brisket or ham during the week (if the lady of the house was there and had the time to cook) not so much today hams (and other long cooking meats) sell on the weekends 50-1 bone in pork roasts which taste way better than boneless..... barely sell during the week..... even in meat departments that sell over 100k in sales per week

all this is tied in with the demand for boneless breasts

however I do supervise over 40 grocery stores (meat and deli departments ) and have urged them to offer more skin on boneless breasts this week - because of this thread
Glad to hear that and you make a good point about the working mom and easy to fix meals.
But as for me; give me the skin and give me the whole chicken!!! Let me worry about the skin if I do not want to use it. Give me the dark meat over the breast as well. Is it my imagination or are thighs becoming more popular?

Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 AM

17,217 posts, read 22,262,232 times
Quote:
You are onto to something......the fat and skin is, I suspect, being used as a new and huge profit-machine. That, combined with the current high chicken prices, reeks suspiciously of some sort of conspiracy.

I sometime see spiffed-up, boneless, skinless chicken-breasts selling for prices verging on total insanity.

Boneless chicken breasts are cheaper today
Than 30 yrs ago
We just had then on sale for 1.49lb

Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Status: ""Don't count the days; make the days count "" (set 20 days ago)

348 posts, read 97,671 times
Quote:

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?
Why get furious over such a trivial thing when like others have stated you have choice.....

I do see more skinless packages of chicken in the supermarkets but they also always have with skin on and what I personally like...fresh split chicken breasts with the skin intact.

I grill on my deck from early spring to late fall...

Here you go.....
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, where the heck has all the chicken-skin gone!?!?!?!-2-chicken-breasts-bbq-june.jpg  

Last edited by NY 915; 10-17-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 11:25 AM

15,315 posts, read 15,310,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
Why get furious over such a trivial thing when like others have stated you have choice.....

I do see more skinless packages of chicken in the supermarkets but they also always have with skin on and what I personally like...fresh split chicken breasts with the skin intact.

I grill on my deck from early spring to late fall...

Here you go.....

OK, i have not been able to find chicken-breasts with skin-on as of late.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:31 PM

4,564 posts, read 2,804,169 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

If I choose, I hit Winco for thighs, legs and breasts with skin on....They do offer choices...

Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 PM

989 posts, read 549,623 times
Quote:
OK, i have not been able to find chicken-breasts with skin-on as of late.
Even bone in?

Honestly, I've never seen bone-in without the skin.

I do like the skin depending on the recipe. I'll just buy the bone-in and debone it myself and then use the pouch between the skin and the meat for stuffing...yum.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 PM

17,217 posts, read 22,262,232 times
here's an option buy split chicken breasts on sale (for .99lb) and just slice the meat off with the skin still on...… easy easy

use the bones for soup/broth stock

Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM

7,194 posts, read 2,251,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here's an option buy split chicken breasts on sale (for .99lb) and just slice the meat off with the skin still on... easy easy

use the bones for soup/broth stock
I prefer the boneless/skinless chicken, because I don't want any of the fat to end up inside me. I have a jumbo-size Hamilton Beach deep-dish fry pan and I cook two jumbo packs of chicken breasts at a time. I brown them all over for 15 minutes, pour in a cup of water and cover it for one hour at med-high heat. Then I put them in a large container, fill it with cold water and run a trickle of water through them for an hour to cool them, before they go in the refrigerator. I eat on them for a week, with little time expended for cooking each day. I keep my refrigerator at 34 degrees, to extend the time they stay edible.

I cook 12-quart pots of mixed beans and peas, for similar purposes. A typical meal is a stew from 32 oz. of pre-cooked beans, a 10 oz. chicken breast, a can of tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, a large chopped onion, 3 chopped sticks of celery, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar, a small can of sliced black olives, and served with a pint of non-fat, plain yogurt. It takes less than 30 minutes to fix this, from the pre-cooked main ingredients.

My evening snack is a can of water-pack sardines (Chicken-of-the-Sea is best), an avocado, a Roma tomato, 16 raw almonds and some kind of fruit, usually a pear or strawberries. My bedtime snack is usually a 6 oz. piece of chicken, two Roma tomatoes and some other kind of fruit. Since I began eating like this, I've lost 15 lbs. of weight I couldn't take off previously and my vigor and athletic capacity is greatly improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or