Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:16 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I have had no problem buying skin on, bone in breasts or leg quarters. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
its because of the whole... "lean & low fat" theme of the last 30-40 yrs..

the number one selling chicken item by far(from women) is boneless skinless chicken breasts..

years ago it was whole chicken and whole skin on breast

the ewww & ick women many dont even like a chicken drumstick or thigh ….

I sell thousands of pounds of chicken every week...and talk to customers....

I like the skin too and ive boned out whole breasts for skin on boneless breasts (tried over 3 states) but overwhelmingly...the ladies like skinless because its viewed as more "healthy"

if I sound sexist its because 80% of the customer base in a supermarket the ladies hold the buying decisions..

Old 10-15-2018, 06:27 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Where I live we have both varieties.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:47 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Skin on is always readily available here as well.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its because of the whole... "lean & low fat" theme of the last 30-40 yrs..

the number one selling chicken item by far(from women) is boneless skinless chicken breasts..

years ago it was whole chicken and whole skin on breast

the ewww & ick women many dont even like a chicken drumstick or thigh ….

I sell thousands of pounds of chicken every week...and talk to customers....

I like the skin too and ive boned out whole breasts for skin on boneless breasts (tried over 3 states) but overwhelmingly...the ladies like skinless because its viewed as more "healthy"

if I sound sexist its because 80% of the customer base in a supermarket the ladies hold the buying decisions..

OH, that is sad and sickening!

And don't get me started on what they do to almost all pork nowadays.....trim just about every scrap of
fricken fat off of the dang piggymeat.

Maybe there is now a HUGE market for fat that make it insanely profitable for grocers to
trim their meat down to a fatless-mess????

UGH!

Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Where I live we have both varieties.
I'm seeing more and more dry/skinless/fat-stripped meat in Walmart....and not just the chicken.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:53 PM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Am I the only one who still loves chicken-skin (meat-soup with sproingy chicken-skin is to die for)?

Am I the only one who is noticing that more and more packages of chicken is of the degloved variety???

I go into the grocery-store today and, wahlah, just about all the chicken, not just the breasts, have the skin removed. I know this is being done for a reason.......something kooky, toxins, continuation of the
saturated-fat scare, shoppers having an aversion to bleechy skin, some other weird reason??????

Is anybody else noticing this nightmarish trend and are you also FURIOUS about it?
I met an old lady once who claimed chicken meat has a much higher fat content than in the past and the flavor just isn't quite the same. I think factory farming is to blame for all the bad stuff in chicken.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I'm seeing more and more dry/skinless/fat-stripped meat in Walmart....and not just the chicken.
There's plenty of skin and bones in my local markets.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Yah. I see the skin-on at Costco and grocery stores, but it does seem like its a bit of a niche item now. And I think its partly the lifestyle focus on more healthful eating, but also because skins are used in sausages and other "parts products" that require high-fat emulsified meat paste (think of the explosion of the "chicken nugget" over the last 20 or so years - they were only at McDonalds, now they're everywhere. I saw that Taco Bell had nuggets recently!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink