U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 02:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 559,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's almost universally agreed upon that wasting food is bad. Of course, grocery stores and restaurants do it anyway, resulting in up to 40% of our food supply going to waste. But here's a question I never heard people ask before: Are some foods worse to waste than others? If yes, which ones? And why?

Is it meat/poultry/fish, because an animal died to become that food?

Is it expensive food, like sashimi, Waigu beef, or pasta with truffles?

Is it food made from vulnerable species, like swordfish or giraffe?

Is it food grown in Third World countries by underpaid laborers, like bananas or coffee?

Is it food that was transported long distances, like New Zealand apples in the US?

Is it food cooked by a family member, rather than bought in a store or restaurant?

Is it food where workers risk their lives to obtain, like Alaskan king crab?

Or, is all food equally bad to waste?

Discuss!
No.

Two words:
sunk
costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 06:43 PM

11,032 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I said almost frozen. Have you ever seen a banana with a green skin, and you take it home and it gets soft overnight, but the skin stays green, but you may even think its not ripe yet, and then pick it up one day and goosh!?
I've never had that happen. I typically only buy produce that I know will be used within the next 3-4 days. That way, I am able to use everything up before it goes bad.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:17 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's almost universally agreed upon that wasting food is bad. Of course, grocery stores and restaurants do it anyway, resulting in up to 40% of our food supply going to waste. But here's a question I never heard people ask before: Are some foods worse to waste than others? If yes, which ones? And why?

Is it meat/poultry/fish, because an animal died to become that food?

Is it expensive food, like sashimi, Waigu beef, or pasta with truffles?

Is it food made from vulnerable species, like swordfish or giraffe?

Is it food grown in Third World countries by underpaid laborers, like bananas or coffee?

Is it food that was transported long distances, like New Zealand apples in the US?

Is it food cooked by a family member, rather than bought in a store or restaurant?

Is it food where workers risk their lives to obtain, like Alaskan king crab?

Or, is all food equally bad to waste?

Discuss!
I rarely waste food, but I will never say never. To me, the worst waste is expensive anything, especially meat As for the animal died, they already died so whether we waist the meat or not is pretty pointless. This goes with most of the other reasons you listed: the meat traveled so far, WHAT?

Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hate any food waste. Almost anything that is past it's prime in our house goes to the dogs, and yes they eat fruits and vegetables.
Yep, we have a nummy bowl for our little girl. All we have to say is: nummy time and she comes running. It often has food we don't get to finish but she never questions how old it is.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:17 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,151,521 times
I don't waste food. We grew up w/ that in our heads, "Don't waste food, children are starving." It got repeated so often we would die of guilt if we did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or