Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:23 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

It's almost universally agreed upon that wasting food is bad. Of course, grocery stores and restaurants do it anyway, resulting in up to 40% of our food supply going to waste. But here's a question I never heard people ask before: Are some foods worse to waste than others? If yes, which ones? And why?

Is it meat/poultry/fish, because an animal died to become that food?

Is it expensive food, like sashimi, Waigu beef, or pasta with truffles?

Is it food made from vulnerable species, like swordfish or giraffe?

Is it food grown in Third World countries by underpaid laborers, like bananas or coffee?

Is it food that was transported long distances, like New Zealand apples in the US?

Is it food cooked by a family member, rather than bought in a store or restaurant?

Is it food where workers risk their lives to obtain, like Alaskan king crab?

Or, is all food equally bad to waste?

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Chocolate. Do not waste chocolate.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I totally disagree with the 40% from stores..

we reduce our close dated meat deli and produce .. so very very little gets thrown out..

the day before expiration date we have the option to reduce or in the past ten years....its being cooked in the hot foods department .. so very little shrink

no store wants to take a net loss.....

biggest waste of food …. people buying stuff they dont eat at home or they buy wayyyy too much.

in restaurants..... chef's are clever they dont like throwing a net loss away …

patrons in restaurants?? thats where doggie bags come in take it home if you dont eat it all

the biggest food grab I see twice a year and it goes to soup kitchens is our food tradeshow......we fill 40-50 pallets of watermelon bins of meats produce and grocery items and food banks are there to pick them up.....not thrown out

I dont waste food at home.....

Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Fruit, because a lot of markets buy it while its cheap and come very close to freezing it so they can wait to put it out, then put it out and you buy it, then 2 maybe 3 days in the fruit bowl is all it takes to make it inedible, or at least not as appealing as the 'fresh' fruit you thought you were buying would be.

Ive seen this practice used occasionally on stone fruits, but its most noticeable with bananas.

This may be a regional thing - like, something that doesn't happen in California or Florida all that often, but may happen a lot in more urban areas, especially in the Northern states.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:18 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Fruit, because a lot of markets buy it while its cheap and come very close to freezing it so they can wait to put it out, then put it out and you buy it, then 2 maybe 3 days in the fruit bowl is all it takes to make it inedible, or at least not as appealing as the 'fresh' fruit you thought you were buying would be.

Ive seen this practice used occasionally on stone fruits, but its most noticeable with bananas.

This may be a regional thing - like, something that doesn't happen in California or Florida all that often, but may happen a lot in more urban areas, especially in the Northern states.
here's a fruit question..... if soft fruit is on the counter or in a fruitbowl.. too long...... fruit flies will be coming off them..
so if we eat the fruit before we see the flies are we constantly eating fruit fly larvae??

Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here's a fruit question..... if soft fruit is on the counter or in a fruitbowl.. too long...... fruit flies will be coming off them..
so if we eat the fruit before we see the flies are we constantly eating fruit fly larvae??
Oh, thank you. That is such a terribly believable mental picture. Now I will just have to go throw all my fruit away.

That's a waste of food, point blank!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I hate any food waste. Almost anything that is past it's prime in our house goes to the dogs, and yes they eat fruits and vegetables.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2018, 08:44 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:

How is that possible? Don't bananas turn black when frozen?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 PM

334 posts, read 227,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yes. Just think of it as extra protein :-)

Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
I live in a Northern state, and bananas in my area turn brown pretty quickly: 2 to 4 days, depending on how ripe it is to begin with. Lucky for me, I like ripe bananas, where they're speckled but not fully brown. If I miss the window of time and its turns brown all over, I just mash the banana, then freeze it slightly, and eat it like ice cream.

I've been to Florida, but I haven't stayed there long enough to observe what happens to bananas there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink