U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:43 PM

756 posts, read 364,177 times

Advertisements

I would not trust in sending food back.....I would just not go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM

173 posts, read 32,381 times
I sent a dish back once that had a bunch of unopened clams in it. It came back with the clams open, but pieces of broken shell shards inside the clams. Manager got called to table and we had a discussion about serving clams that didn't open in the first place, then forcing them open and serving again. Dish got sent back with no replacement and taken off check. We never went back.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder if you would act the same with every unsatisfactory service that you have to pay for.
I mean, those not-so-crunchy potatoes are a petty thing, I would just leave them on my plate and eat everything else what was on it. And just mention to the waiter that they were undercooked. That's it.
But I wouldn't compromise on major faults. No way.
We are all getting too tolerant and happily accept mediocrity.

can't rep you again.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 1,206,807 times
Quote:
I wonder if you would act the same with every unsatisfactory service that you have to pay for.
I mean, those not-so-crunchy potatoes are a petty thing, I would just leave them on my plate and eat everything else what was on it. And just mention to the waiter that they were undercooked. That's it.
But I wouldn't compromise on major faults. No way.
We are all getting too tolerant and happily accept mediocrity.
I agree. I will send something back if I specifically asked for no X, had it verified as no X, and it came back with no X with no conversation with me that it wasnít possible to take X out and is that okay with me? If they come back and say that it isnít possible and I then say itís okay, thatís one thing, but to just leave it in does not make me happy. If I am going to pay for something and am told they can make the change, I expect the change to be made. If it canít be made, then the menu needs to say so or they need to tell me they canít do it.

I also send it back if it is undercooked (like raw fish or meat) or if I get the wrong preparation- like if I ordered a sandwich version and get the full entree, it is going back.

For minor problems, like itís not quite cooked to my satisfaction (slightly over or undercooked meat, pasta, etc), I just mention it later. Sometimes they decide to do something and sometimes they do not.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:01 PM

2,178 posts, read 5,755,693 times
I'm fairly careful on what I order, so I never had to send back food. I did have to send me a new drink I tried once because it was too sour to drink, and got another one one of something I liked the house.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:05 PM

9,864 posts, read 8,000,104 times
My wife always complains, politely but firmly, when the food is bad. She generally gets treated well, whereas I stay silent...and suffer.

When will I ever learn?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:14 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,019,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This topic has come up many times. I NEVER send food back. I worked in restaurants while in college. I have seen some pretty creative ways of cooks, servers, etc dealing with customers. The ones who send food back for minor things typically get the problem corrected quickly. The chronic complainers or customers who are never satisfied are definitely remembered by the staff. I have no intention of ticking off a cook who is handling my food. Seen too much to take that chance. It am pretty laid back and don't take my food too seriously. Only things like raw chicken or hair in my food would cause me to not eat it. Even then, I would just say I don't want anything else, just remove the item and I will eat later.

Never ever have I sent food back. Dont poke the lion. As mentioned, you may get back more than you asked for. Mark it up as experience and get something different next time, or never eat there again.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:04 PM

13,132 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
I have no problem sending back food that is too cold, too salty, undercooked, overcooked or burned, or otherwise grossly mishandled.
I will also send back dishes with foreign objects or glasses with lipstick on it. And why not? I am a paying customer. They want my money, and I expect quality.
Never had any problem with that or noticed a bad attitude. Things can happen even in best places and wouldn't get corrected if no one complains.
However, the complain should be done discreetly and in a nice way.
The wait staff in most cases is not responsible for the quality of food they serve.
In an upscale restaurant everyone cares on their own level, and such incidents are a seldom occurrence.
A caring chef would come out and apologize for his mistake, and try to make it good to you by sending extra dessert or wine, depending how much he cares about his image and and the image of his restaurant.
Don't expect it in a chain restaurant, but still in most places they will take that dish off the bill, offer something else or at least apologize.
It's a two way business - if they want to sell something, they should make it appealing enough for me to buy.
This. I don't understand the paranoia about cooks spitting/peeing in one's food. Why should I accept inedible food? As long as I am nice about a problem, I have never experienced an issue with sending something back. I have only sent a plate back a few times and was always courteous in the request.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM

6,688 posts, read 2,608,873 times
I don't send food back, either.

I once was in a Mexican restaurant and I got an order of black beans that had mostly perfectly cooked beans but about every other mouthful had a completely raw hard as a rock bean. I told the waiter about that, so no one would break a tooth.

That's about all the complaints I've ever made.

Oh wait there was a salad buffet at Shoneys that had rotten hard boiled eggs. I complained and the manager picked up the container and took a whiff and his head actually snapped back.

But that's about it.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:37 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
I have no problem sending back food that is too cold, too salty, undercooked, overcooked or burned, or otherwise grossly mishandled.
I will also send back dishes with foreign objects or glasses with lipstick on it. And why not? I am a paying customer. They want my money, and I expect quality.
Never had any problem with that or noticed a bad attitude. Things can happen even in best places and wouldn't get corrected if no one complains.
However, the complain should be done discreetly and in a nice way.
The wait staff in most cases is not responsible for the quality of food they serve.
In an upscale restaurant everyone cares on their own level, and such incidents are a seldom occurrence.
A caring chef would come out and apologize for his mistake, and try to make it good to you by sending extra dessert or wine, depending how much he cares about his image and and the image of his restaurant.
Don't expect it in a chain restaurant, but still in most places they will take that dish off the bill, offer something else or at least apologize.
It's a two way business - if they want to sell something, they should make it appealing enough for me to buy.
I agree. I have sent food back when there was an issue that could be corrected, and usually there has been no further problem. If the issue is that something ordered is missing from the plate, I won't let them take the plate, back, but request instead that they bring the missing item out on a side plate. I don't like the rest of the meal (mine or my companion's) to get cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink