U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 AM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Or worse, something dangerously undercooked, like pink chicken, or something otherwise inedible, I would certainly send it back, politely.
Despite what you may read in some cookbooks, checking for poultry doneness by cooking until the meat is no longer pink or until “juices run clear” is not a reliable gauge of doneness.
https://foodenvy.tv/a-food-scientist...is-still-pink/

And believe or not, it's perfectly safe to eat medium rare pork.

https://thetakeout.com/we-should-be-...ork-1828528374
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 02:05 AM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. I don't understand the paranoia about cooks spitting/peeing in one's food. Why should I accept inedible food? As long as I am nice about a problem, I have never experienced an issue with sending something back. I have only sent a plate back a few times and was always courteous in the request.
I agree! Stupid, bored teens in a fast food joints might do that, but not a chef in any decent restaurant. Actually I often noticed a chef walking out the kitchen and mingling with the patrons just to hear a feedback about the food. Most will gladly discuss the techniques and certainly accept critique,
or modify the dish to customer satisfaction.

I can't stand lukewarm dishes, especially soups. And yes, I would politely request it to be warmed up, even if that means just reheating in a microwave.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:50 AM

654 posts, read 138,994 times
For those that say they never send food back, if you are eating in a high end restaurant at $100.00 or more per person excluding beverages, don't be a sheep if something is not right. The head chef should be made aware of an issue in quality of his food that he or a line cook may have prepared. We don't often go out because we can do a better job at home, but when we do, we expect quality food and service. We are willing to pay for it, but will send back or complain about poor quality food or service.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:08 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Years ago, hubby and I went to a well known steak house in our city. I ordered a T-bone, medium rare. When it was brought to the table, it was medium with black char here and there on it. Not only unappetizing, but years later they have found that black charred any kind of meat is carcinogenic.

I sent it back. When the waitress came back, she put the plate down in front of me with the same steak that the black char had been scraped off. I expected, and should have been given a new steak.

I complained again and they gave us half off the price. I ate a few little pieces that were edible. We never went back.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 AM

69,255 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Despite what you may read in some cookbooks, checking for poultry doneness by cooking until the meat is no longer pink or until “juices run clear” is not a reliable gauge of doneness.

And believe or not, it's perfectly safe to eat medium rare pork.

https://thetakeout.com/we-should-be-...ork-1828528374
Thanks, I am glad to hear about the pork, and I have to admit I never over cook it as it dries out too much. Now I feel just fine serving it still a bit pink.. Of course spoiled brat just eats it with out paying much any attention to what it is or how it is cooked. I am also glad to hear about testing the chicken

Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 3,444,432 times
I would not have high expectations for a quality experience at a chain restaurant. I would expect hit or miss food. & I would not send food back unless the entree was not the entree ordered. Like if I ordered chicken fried steak and instead they brought me a grilled cheese, I would send that back. But if they sent brown gravy instead of cream gravy, I would laugh & eat it anyway. A chain is is going to be relatively fast and cheap and informal...one step up from McD's.

However, if by some weird chance my medium rare steak was incinerated at a steak house, I would ask for another without a qualm.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM

7,568 posts, read 10,383,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. I don't understand the paranoia about cooks spitting/peeing in one's food. Why should I accept inedible food? As long as I am nice about a problem, I have never experienced an issue with sending something back. I have only sent a plate back a few times and was always courteous in the request.
Don't believe the old wive's tale about cooks spitting in sent-back food. I've worked in restaurants (not fast food) and it would NEVER happen in a place with the normal amount of supervision.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:43 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I say 'pink chicken', I mean translucent, uncooked chicken, not pinkish with some color in the juices.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 1,216,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I wouldn't have sent it back. To me, this seems like a personal preference. In a dish like you describe, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed crunchy potatoes. But I would never order it again (I would also be willing to go back if DH likes the restaurant.)

But I DO occasionally send food back when it's flat out cooked wrong. A hamburger that was left on the grill so long that it's hard on the outside and dry as cardboard. Hard, crunchy pasta. The most common is when I order prime rib. I ALWAYS say the same thing to the server: "If it's not going to come out really, really rare, please let me know. I'll order something else, and we'll both be happier. " Consequently, I eat Prime rib at home WAY more often than in restaurants because they don't listen.

But never when it's a matter of personal taste. I consider that My Bad for ordering it.
Um, so you're saying that some people like to eat nearly raw potatoes? I've never been asked how I want my spuds cooked, so I don't think that theory has merit.

And the dish was mostly potatoes, so I'd have left hungry if I'd tried to eat around them. Same diner gave me raw hash browns a couple weeks ago, but there was plenty of other food, so I just didn't eat them, and remembered not to order them again.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:31 PM

415 posts, read 129,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We had lunch today--or I tried to--at a chain diner. I ordered a meal with chunks of potatoes, veggies, and eggs. When it arrived, the spuds were undercooked-not quite crunchy, but not something you'd want to eat I sent it back, they remade the dish, the spuds were cooked just the same. I told the waiter to take it off the bill, and that I didn't want anything else. My husband was halfway through his lunch, so he finished up. They comped his meal; I ate at home.

I could have ordered something else, but had lost my interest in eating there. I did wonder if the cook might spit in any replacement. My husband likes the place, but they always seem to serve mine cold or undercooked. I won't go back.

What would you have done?

I wouldn't have sent it back (due to the concerns you mentioned) but I wouldn't go there again, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink