U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 AM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

Does anyone get the weekly boxed meal plans? I just signed up on an impulse, because I saw an ad for dinnerly.com, and the cost is in line with what I typically spend on meals, or even a bit less.

Three meals per week, costing $29.99 + shipping. I average about $10. per dinner on the protein, so Iím curious how this will go. On my budget, I havenít found a cost effective plan until now. Besides, Iím bored with my cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
I've done the meal plans for just over a year now and have tried several different companies. They all seem to have their pluses and minuses. Blue Apron, Home Chef and Hello Fresh all cost about the same. Blue Apron is a little more challenging because you do more of the prep work yourself, but they also seem to have a more adventurous menu than the other two.
I tend to stretch my box meals by adding extra vegetables and/or starches. I can easily turn the six meal box into nine meals, that averages out to roughly $7 per meal. I live alone and some of my meals go into the freezer anyway, so this works for me.
I have looked at Dinnerly because of the substantially lower cost, but the reviews don't seem all that positive so I hope you'll come back and keep us posted with your opinion.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:08 PM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I've done the meal plans for just over a year now and have tried several different companies. They all seem to have their pluses and minuses. Blue Apron, Home Chef and Hello Fresh all cost about the same. Blue Apron is a little more challenging because you do more of the prep work yourself, but they also seem to have a more adventurous menu than the other two.
I tend to stretch my box meals by adding extra vegetables and/or starches. I can easily turn the six meal box into nine meals, that averages out to roughly $7 per meal. I live alone and some of my meals go into the freezer anyway, so this works for me.
I have looked at Dinnerly because of the substantially lower cost, but the reviews don't seem all that positive so I hope you'll come back and keep us posted with your opinion.
Yes, I will do that. I emailed them to ask how many ounces of protein are typically in a serving, but I havenít heard back. We really arenít big eaters, so if the portions are small its ok. There are several Asian meals and things like quinoa and couscous, so Iím at least glad to try some different things I donít usually make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or