U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:52 AM

4,101 posts, read 4,992,344 times

Advertisements

My Brother who has a dairy allergy (casein) Uses rice milk.
I can not tell a difference, I was very skeptical at first so my taste buds were probably looking for it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:33 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Suggestion. If substituting Almond Milk for regular in something like potatoes, don't use the vanilla, use the original/plain

Old 10-21-2018, 03:34 AM

1,526 posts, read 539,993 times
I use almond milk and add a little bit of olive oil

Old 10-21-2018, 04:23 AM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was thinking of just doing Olive oil salt and pepper. I ask this because my brother, wife and 3 kids are coming for Thanksgiving and the whole family is dairy free. I was also thinking of using Almond milk in place of cows milk. Thanks
Mashed potatoes with olive oil? sorry, but I couldn't imagine that tasting good. Perhaps you can prepare the potatoes a different way, or skip them
completely and focus on stuffing that is delicious and could be served in many different ways.
Thanksgiving is already a shameless carbfest--you've got the stuffing (which is non-negotiable) and the sweet potatoes (ditto). Do you really need another kind of potato on the table?

If you insist to have mashed potatoes on your table, you could make a mashed potatoes stuffing like this:

https://www.mrfood.com/Potatoes-Rice...-Stuffing-3121

It has no dairy (that little bit of butter you could substitute with margarine) sounds actually exciting to try.

Last edited by elnina; 10-21-2018 at 04:45 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 AM

173 posts, read 32,381 times
There's a recipe for olive oil mashes in the new November Taste of Home magazine. They use olive oil, pancetta (and the rendered fat) garlic, parsley, and S and P. Recipe looks pretty good actually.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:50 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
It's nice of you to want to change the way you cook traditional foods to suit your extended family, but I wouldn't worry too much about the picky young children. Young kids eat a few bites of this or that and then proclaim that they're full anyway. If they don't eat the potatoes, don't sweat it. If the parents are bringing chicken nuggets to Thanksgiving, those kids aren't going to eat anything new. They will deal with their pickiness and will ensure that they don't starve to death.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM

16,926 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have been in your exact same possition many a Thanksgiving. The mashed potaoes with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, are OK. For my taste, they are a little bland.

This dairy free (vegan) sweet potato recipe is so good that I do not make two batches of mashed potatoes any more. I like this one.

"vegan butter" is a type of margerine. Full discloure - I HATE margerine. However, "Earth Balance" brand does not have the creepy fake taste of most margerines or the bright yellow color.

If I were you I'd try it this week at a regular meal. See if you like it. I think you may. They are very good.
https://buildyourbite.com/vegan-mashed-potatoes/

Let me know what you think!
This sounds really good and they do use earth's balance at home thanks Sheena!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 AM

16,926 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Mashed potatoes with olive oil? sorry, but I couldn't imagine that tasting good. Perhaps you can prepare the potatoes a different way, or skip them
completely and focus on stuffing that is delicious and could be served in many different ways.
Thanksgiving is already a shameless carbfest--you've got the stuffing (which is non-negotiable) and the sweet potatoes (ditto). Do you really need another kind of potato on the table?

If you insist to have mashed potatoes on your table, you could make a mashed potatoes stuffing like this:

https://www.mrfood.com/Potatoes-Rice...-Stuffing-3121

It has no dairy (that little bit of butter you could substitute with margarine) sounds actually exciting to try.
Believe it or not I have had olive oil mashed potatoes at a few high end restaurants. Very good actually. BTW the potato pie my mom is making isn't made with sweet potatoes it made with regular potatoes so I think I might do mashed sweet ones instead and my 2 year old nephew loves sweet potatoes.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
yes that's what we may do, my mom will make her famous potato pie and my brother will make his style of mashed potatoes for the kids.
Do you care to share the recipe?

Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Try chicken broth with a bit of olive oil. We occasionally have what SO calls 'self induced not particularly pleasant' company with food particularities. One meal can be survived. Personally I would make a potatoe dish and the chicken nuggets for them and offer from your regular menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or