U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,571 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Reputation: 57234

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I appreciate all of the suggestions and might make some of the suggestions for my DH and I one night. My brother's kids are very picky, and eat very plain. This will be an interesting Thanksgiving because the kids don't eat Turkey. They eat some sort of gluten free, organic chicken nuggets that my brother buys. We are also scaling down on the traditional foods because my brother and his family don't eat a lot of the stuff we usually make. No biggie it's one time a year.
Bless your heart. You’re a trooper. I’d probably just go full tilt on what they eat, and then cook traditional for us after they leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
20,968 posts, read 15,285,903 times
Reputation: 23757
To me, mashed potatoes only need a slight amount of milk. I don't like them runny. I also don't like butter on pretty much anything. I usually put a hot sauce (normally Tennessee Sunshine) and freshly grind black pepper on my mashed potatoes. Occasionally I'll use Mrs. Dash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 07:58 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,182 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Reputation: 6256
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I appreciate all of the suggestions and might make some of the suggestions for my DH and I one night. My brother's kids are very picky, and eat very plain. This will be an interesting Thanksgiving because the kids don't eat Turkey. They eat some sort of gluten free, organic chicken nuggets that my brother buys. We are also scaling down on the traditional foods because my brother and his family don't eat a lot of the stuff we usually make. No biggie it's one time a year.
I would cook as I always do and ask him for one or 2 of their recipes. They may offer to make them at your moms house. I wouldn't want my other guests thinking I scaled down because of them. Thanksgiving is only once a year and it's one of my favorite holidays where I can make my special stuffing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 AM
 
10,400 posts, read 7,478,326 times
Reputation: 18325
There are so many milk/butter/cheese substitutes you don't have to miss a beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was thinking of just doing Olive oil salt and pepper. I ask this because my brother, wife and 3 kids are coming for Thanksgiving and the whole family is dairy free. I was also thinking of using Almond milk in place of cows milk. Thanks
You certainly can make them any way you want, but without milk and butter they are not true mashed potatoes or should we say traditional ones. I think given the choice you are considering I would do the almond milk but still with no butter and just olive oil you are going to have an unusual combination. What about the gravy? How do you intend to make true gravy without any milk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 11:36 AM
 
741 posts, read 173,771 times
Reputation: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You certainly can make them any way you want, but without milk and butter they are not true mashed potatoes or should we say traditional ones. I think given the choice you are considering I would do the almond milk but still with no butter and just olive oil you are going to have an unusual combination. What about the gravy? How do you intend to make true gravy without any milk?
I wouldn't call southern white gravy "true" gravy - it's really a "cream gravy." Delicious of course.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy


Brown gravy, which contains no milk, in its various forms is more like the "true" gravy. And lets not get into that Italian-American thing calling red sauce a gravy.


OP: I once did make mashed potatoes without milk or butter. I turned out fine. I used cream instead

Last edited by Chint; 10-22-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
4,910 posts, read 4,215,871 times
Reputation: 16311
Use chicken broth instead of milk and butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I wouldn't call southern white gravy "true" gravy - it's really a "cream gravy." Delicious of course.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy


Brown gravy, which contains no milk, in its various forms is more like the "true" gravy. And lets not get into that Italian-American thing calling red sauce a gravy.


OP: I once did make mashed potatoes without milk or butter. I turned out fine. I used cream instead
Aren't you assuming a lot to think because I live in AR I meant white gravy? No that has nothing to do with my comment.

I have a degree in foods and nutrition and my dad was a chef. even wonderful, good brown gravy does contain some milk, It is mostly the broth from the giblets, the drippings from the turkey or want ever, a little milk and enough flour to thicken the gravy. Of course there is only a bit of milk added, but it is still part of the very dark and rich gravy. Maybe not everyone makes it that way, but this is how I learned and how it was done by my dad.

there are many ways to make many things and no one way is completely the perfect way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
It's nice you are willing to be so accommodating. I found we were going to so much work trying to make something for the picky eaters that we quit worrying about it. Eat or don't rat. Bring a dish you like. The idea is to get together to socialize. BTW, I admit to being a picky eater all my life. No one accommodated my preferences as a child, and I would never say anything to anyone who invited me to dinner as to what I like/hate. Only allergies, of which I have none, would be reason for me to say anything. But you are right.... it's once a year and if you don't mind cooking for the picky, it's no big deal. (I also don't like my food to touch).
We have many very picky eaters in our family, especially my one granddaughter , her husband and their 3 girls: to top it off, they are lave something different they won't eat: what do we now now days? We just fix whatever the host wants to fix, let people bring other dishes and there seems to always be plenty of food. Trying to please everyone can get to be a real pain!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:20 PM
 
105 posts, read 14,407 times
Reputation: 194
Yes, I steam or boil the potatos, put them in a food processor add a little of the potato water as needed, add the EVOO, salt and pepper and it comes out very creamy. Fresh chives are optional

For a change we also use Greek yogurt or kefir instead of sour cream, or neufchatel cream cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top