Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Mashed potatoes with olive oil? sorry, but I couldn't imagine that tasting good. Perhaps you can prepare the potatoes a different way, or skip them
completely and focus on stuffing that is delicious and could be served in many different ways.
Thanksgiving is already a shameless carbfest--you've got the stuffing (which is non-negotiable) and the sweet potatoes (ditto). Do you really need another kind of potato on the table?

If you insist to have mashed potatoes on your table, you could make a mashed potatoes stuffing like this:

https://www.mrfood.com/Potatoes-Rice...-Stuffing-3121

It has no dairy (that little bit of butter you could substitute with margarine) sounds actually exciting to try.
Mashed potatoes with butter and gravy ARE non-negotiable (for me)! Our family doesn’t do sweet potatoes. It’s silly to count carbs for an annual holiday meal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was thinking of just doing Olive oil salt and pepper. I ask this because my brother, wife and 3 kids are coming for Thanksgiving and the whole family is dairy free. I was also thinking of using Almond milk in place of cows milk. Thanks
This is blasphemy!! I demand a moderator remove this post right away!!

Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
I make them with margarine and chicken broth for a family member who is dairy free. I don't care for the way they taste, so I just make a couple of portions that way and make traditional style for the rest of us.

as for the general concept, I won't turn an entire meal upside down to accommodate food preferences but I will try to make sure that there are some options for everyone. So I think if the kids only eat their special nuggets, fine, more turkey for everyone else - but no need to subject anyone to not having a meal they can enjoy. I'm not being harmed by their eating their chosen foods, esp. if the parents take responsibility for making sure they have what they want.

And even when it's overkill, I still like to have the variety and the traditional things we enjoy.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:19 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Do you care to share the recipe?
Sure as soon as I find it.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have been in your exact same possition many a Thanksgiving. The mashed potaoes with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, are OK. For my taste, they are a little bland.

This dairy free (vegan) sweet potato recipe is so good that I do not make two batches of mashed potatoes any more. I like this one.

"vegan butter" is a type of margerine. Full discloure - I HATE margerine. However, "Earth Balance" brand does not have the creepy fake taste of most margerines or the bright yellow color.

If I were you I'd try it this week at a regular meal. See if you like it. I think you may. They are very good.
https://buildyourbite.com/vegan-mashed-potatoes/

Let me know what you think!
I'll second that. My dd introduced me to it, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I've had really good parve (no meat or dairy) mashed potatoes from a kosher grocery store where I used to get lunch. I don't know how they made them, but they were very good. Can probably find a kosher mashed potato recipe somewhere, but someone already said to look up "vegan mashed potatoes", which would basically be the same thing.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll second that. My dd introduced me to it, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I've had really good parve (no meat or dairy) mashed potatoes from a kosher grocery store where I used to get lunch. I don't know how they made them, but they were very good. Can probably find a kosher mashed potato recipe somewhere, but someone already said to look up "vegan mashed potatoes", which would basically be the same thing.
I know, I was pleasantly surprised too. It was my son who intruduced me to Earth Balance. I was a huge skeptic, because I have always detested margerine, and while Earth Balance does not call itself "the M word".essentially, that's what it is. I'm a purist when it comes to butter, I can taste when foods have that "trans fat taste" and I am always revolted.

Earth Balance has an innocuous slightly buttery taste and it's fine in cooked foors.

However, on a piece of good bread, I'll stick with Real Butter.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:19 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If they have eliminated it from their diets and suddenly throw it back in, there could be really unpleasant consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
My Brother who has a dairy allergy (casein) Uses rice milk.
I can not tell a difference, I was very skeptical at first so my taste buds were probably looking for it..
Yes, rice milk or practically any alternative "milk" works fine. I don't think they'd get sick from suddenly having a little bit of almond milk, but they probably still eat rice. I have the allergy to the casein in milk and haven't been able to use cow's milk in decades. If I even add any "butter" it's Smart Balance, which is similar to Earth Balance. Tastes great!

Old 10-21-2018, 02:29 PM

6,859 posts, read 4,853,645 times
It's nice you are willing to be so accommodating. I found we were going to so much work trying to make something for the picky eaters that we quit worrying about it. Eat or don't rat. Bring a dish you like. The idea is to get together to socialize. BTW, I admit to being a picky eater all my life. No one accommodated my preferences as a child, and I would never say anything to anyone who invited me to dinner as to what I like/hate. Only allergies, of which I have none, would be reason for me to say anything. But you are right.... it's once a year and if you don't mind cooking for the picky, it's no big deal. (I also don't like my food to touch).

Old 10-21-2018, 02:37 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,388 times
My brother is allergic to dairy, growing up my mom never used milk in mashed potatoes, I didn’t even realize that you were supposed to until I was an adult. She just used a good non-dairy margarine and extra S&P. There are lots of options at the grocery store now.

My kids don’t like mashed potatoes, for thanksgiving and Christmas I make roasted potatoes which they will eat.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
I have been a past vegetarian and also had past food intolerances (milk, bread) and know how bent out of shape some people get about people like me (not you OP). As long as there was something I could eat (and I would always bring a dish of something) I would never make a big deal about it. Other people would but not me. I eat whatever is possible.

It is very kind to make one dish a milk-intolerant person can eat. Easy to make baked potatoes, that way people who use butter can do so and those who don't can add what they want to (there is dairy-free sour cream and/or margarine). Sliced potatoes oven-baked in olive oil and bit of salt are heaven but not everyone has oven space for this (or time to watch them) on holidays.

Kids can be fussy eaters but as long as they eat something (not a dinner of dessert) then let it go. Let their parents handle it. If parents complain just say "Let's have dinner at your house next time."

In my milk-intolerant phase I made mashed potatoes with chicken broth. Wonderful flavor. Now that I can eat dairy again I add butter. Roasted potatoes (suggested above) sound great, reminds me of my grandmother. When you make something special people remember you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink