Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

We are lucky we see them once a year they live in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Try garlic mashed potatoes with chicken broth, fresh garlic, dash of olive oil, salt and pepper and for extra richness you can add dairy free cream. Or dairy free sour cream, butter and milk.

If people are avers to garlic, horseradish is a tasty addition.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:07 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
yes that's what we may do, my mom will make her famous potato pie and my brother will make his style of mashed potatoes for the kids.

Potato pie? I'm intrigued...

Old 10-21-2018, 05:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This sounds really good and they do use earth's balance at home thanks Sheena!
Earth Balance is really tasty actually.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:01 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If people are avers to garlic, horseradish is a tasty addition.
Just don't say the name, kids may not eat it. I know as a kid I really thought it had something to do with horses and wouldn't touch it! My 2 granddaughters LOVE my deviled eggs with just a touch of horseradish to give it a little "bite". Of course I explained to them what it was and my story (above), they like hearing my stories as I relate them to the experiences they are currently going through.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know, I was pleasantly surprised too. It was my son who intruduced me to Earth Balance. I was a huge skeptic, because I have always detested margerine, and while Earth Balance does not call itself "the M word".essentially, that's what it is. I'm a purist when it comes to butter, I can taste when foods have that "trans fat taste" and I am always revolted.

Earth Balance has an innocuous slightly buttery taste and it's fine in cooked foors.

However, on a piece of good bread, I'll stick with Real Butter.
Oh yeah! I had some good onion rye from a vendor at a farmer's market. Toasted with real butter was the best way to eat it.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Isn't it illegal to make mashed potatoes without milk and butter?!!!

Although, sometimes if we're out of milk and butter, I've been known to use either olive oil or vegetable oil with a bit of sesame oil added in. Pure sesame oil has a bit too much flavor. Not sure how to add in for the texture, though. Only oil gets a touch greasy. Good enough for just me, not sure I'd want to serve them to other folks.

We used to have about thirty folks over for Turkey day and there'd be all sorts of eats and can't or won't eats on their dietary lists. I finally gave up and had everyone bring their favorite dish. That way everyone has at least something they liked and with enough people, there'd be plenty for everyone. I never knew there were so many different types of vegetarians, though.

So how are you going to make gravy without milk? Does almond milk made gravy? Does it make good gravy? Maybe some sort of au jus instead of gravy?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
So how are you going to make gravy without milk? Does almond milk made gravy? Does it make good gravy? Maybe some sort of au jus instead of gravy?
Maybe I've always made gravy 'wrong' but have never used milk nor has anyone I know.
White sauce but not 'brown' meat gravy.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
I've made mashed potatoes with just Yukon potatoes, white beans, garlic, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I am lactose intolerant so at Thanksgiving time, I make "milk" for the mashed potatoes by reconstituting coffee mate creamer with water. Heat a cup of water in the microwave to boiling and add the coffee mate to your consistency of "half and half", "whole milk" or one of the lower fat versions. I use margarine for the butter. The coffee mate flavored mashed potatoes taste amazing - much richer than that made with regular milk and no strange flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink