U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:39 PM

18,890 posts, read 12,498,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What is hitting TJ's and W Foods is a problem that has affected every single sector of food distribution from supermarkets to restaurant distributors.

So I take it you raise your own crops and food animals?
I think the problem is prepared salads and other similar foods. If you buy your lettuce, washing it yourself, and other ingredients, your only contamination would come from you, yourself. You reduce your risk of disease greatly by preparing your own food. With prepared, raw food, contamination can come from any part in the distribution chain.

But, fresh unprocessed food can also be contaminated. Remember the listeria contaminated melons?

I do think when you prepare your own salads, washing your lettuce and other ingredients, after having washed your hands, you reduce the risk of contamination. However, I certainly do eat salads in restaurants. So, I am not sure I can completely safeguard myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 8,883,901 times
NOBODY can be completely safe. That is just a fact of life. But food that passes through a lot of hands has many more opportunities to get contaminated with some germ that humans carry. You are probably immune to your own germs, making the lettuce you grew by yourself a lot safer. But there are still those unsterilized rabbits and deer cruising through your garden plot.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

69,318 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Another reason to stay away from TJ's and W Foods !!!!
These things can happen anywhere. That is like saying don't buy Ford because there has been a recall on certain ones due to an airbag problem.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I really am glad I make all our food. Not that heads of lettuce and other ingredients couldn't be contaminated too.
and a few years ago Sam's had a recall on a batch of lox. It doesn't make much difference whether we only use food made from scratch or we buy some processed, recalls happen almost daily. It might be a TV dinner today or peanut butter tomorrow. I too, make food from scratch, though I would never claim to not buying any processed foods. I have to admit I even buy bagged salad once in awhile.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and a few years ago Sam's had a recall on a batch of lox. It doesn't make much difference whether we only use food made from scratch or we buy some processed, recalls happen almost daily. It might be a TV dinner today or peanut butter tomorrow. I too, make food from scratch, though I would never claim to not buying any processed foods. I have to admit I even buy bagged salad once in awhile.
I buy bagged greens. If the bag says they are triple washed, I just dump them into the bowl.

I do understand there is no way to totally safeguard fresh food from contamination.

But I am staying away from prepared salads, precut carrot sticks, and such. They often donít taste great anyway.

Old Today, 01:45 AM

16,485 posts, read 20,022,997 times
I'm still puzzled, years later, why I never got sick eating street food in all the 3rd world countries I've visited, even street food in India. But then I took precautions, never eating anything that wasn't fried to a crisp, and avoiding eating any greens or salads. Like the contaminated water they washed it in.

Interestingly, at a restaurant in Nepal one evening, me and my friend ordered the exact same dish, exact same refreshments, and she had the runs all night, and it didn't effect me in the least. Why?

But I still believe if you cook the hell out of any meat, it's safer.

Old Today, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I buy bagged greens. If the bag says they are triple washed, I just dump them into the bowl.

I do understand there is no way to totally safeguard fresh food from contamination.

But I am staying away from prepared salads, precut carrot sticks, and such. They often donít taste great anyway.
agree with you on the not tasting as good, but as for worrying about contamination I am just not going to get all excited about the possibility.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
agree with you on the not tasting as good, but as for worrying about contamination I am just not going to get all excited about the possibility.
Well, Iíve had food poisoning. So I doóto an extent. I donít fret, but I am a littke cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink