Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:37 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oops!

Zona Fresca has several locations but the one that we always went to -- the original location -- is at 1635 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305.

I just looked at the pictures here https://zonafresca.com/ and now I'm drooling again.
I'll give the one closest to us a try. I have eaten Mexican food in off the beaten path places in Mexico and have yet to find anything, with the exception of homemade, to be comparable. The Tex-Mex place I mentioned is very good. Most of the places I've tried offer "Americanized" Mexican food. There aren't any seafood places around here that are good. I know there is Joe's Stone Crab on south beach, but parking anywhere on south beach is a major PIA! There are several Cuban places in Miami that I've heard are very good, but I avoid Dade County like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I'll give the one closest to us a try. I have eaten Mexican food in off the beaten path places in Mexico and have yet to find anything, with the exception of homemade, to be comparable. The Tex-Mex place I mentioned is very good. Most of the places I've tried offer "Americanized" Mexican food. There aren't any seafood places around here that are good. I know there is Joe's Stone Crab on south beach, but parking anywhere on south beach is a major PIA! There are several Cuban places in Miami that I've heard are very good, but I avoid Dade County like the plague.
I'm guessing that it doesn't hold a candle to a hole-in-the-wall place in Mexico. We always liked it because it's light and fresh and -- coming from New England at the end of November -- we wanted that taste of sunshine. The salsa bar was a nice touch too.

I haven't been there in several years, though. I hope that it's still good. If you don't like it, I'm blaming it on a few years of restaurant down-slide rather than my memory and taste.

Let me know!

Oh! And here's a plus: that location has a parking lot. It fills up quickly at lunchtime but, even if you have to wait for a spot, it's not a long wait.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Most good Mexican restaurants in Texas serve traditional dishes. If any of them market themselves as "true Mexican" which is different, I think that it is probably done in an attempt to attract the silly visitors and tourists who don't know any better, those who think that corn tortillas are more authentic and would like to spend money at a place like that. Supply and demand at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink