U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM

59 posts, read 8,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I'm very fond of moles, from guacamole to chicken in that black mole sauce. I made the black mole sauce once at home, but haven't made it again as my wife wasn't fond of it. I'm gonna try another 20 + ingredient recipe again. The one thing we had at home that neither of us liked was huitlacoche (called corn fungus or corn smut). Of course it had been frozen and thawed, so I have no comparison to fresh. I have made Cochinita Pibil, using the traditional wrap of banana leaves. Carnitas are best cooked in manteca or leaf lard. We make tamales several times a year and with the exception of the last ones we made which were vegan, lard is used in the masa. Chili rellenos from fresh pablanos or the reconstituted dried version, anchos, are great. So far, I prefer homemade instead of restaurant Mexican/Tex-Mex/SW food. I only wish I could get my hands on some of the chilis grown in Mexico that aren't commercially available. As far as it being "Healthy", I don't care and don't eat it as often as I would like. Food from my heritage, German, supposedly isn't "Healthy" either. Not gonna stop me from eating it.
Great post! I'm really into the elaborate, traditional dishes like that. And I also don't care if it's healthy or not, I enjoy eating it and that's what matters most to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM

15,595 posts, read 9,664,364 times
Most "Mexican " food in the US is Americanized, not really true Mexican food. When I lived in Southern California, I got spoiled because there were so many authentic Mexican restaurants there. Even the lunch wagon that came around every day was staffed by real Mexicans, and the food was out of this world.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 PM

1,441 posts, read 466,987 times
Having spent some time in my life in northern Mexico and SW US States, I love green chilies. I love them in scrambled eggs for breakfast which pairs well with sopaipillas and honey. I love them in a sauce over chicken enchiladas. I like them in Chiles Rellenos. Anything 'green chilie' rocks as far as Im concerned.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 PM

4,735 posts, read 2,263,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Into the thread before someone shows up yammering about how this stuff is not authentic and real Mexican food is so much better!

3... 2... 1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Most "Mexican " food in the US is Americanized, not really true Mexican food. When I lived in Southern California, I got spoiled because there were so many authentic Mexican restaurants there. Even the lunch wagon that came around every day was staffed by real Mexicans, and the food was out of this world.
Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen, I'll see myself out.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:41 PM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
when I can find it … done in the "real" style of Mexico …

menudo

ceviche

pozole

barbocoa

tamale pie or tamales

are my fav's.

My folks had a housekeeper/cook (from Mexico) for a few years who made these items, or cooked whole freshly caught (from my Dad's fishing trips) bonito, mackerel, sea bass, halibut, or a small yellowtail tuna … either on the grill or baked/broiled in the oven. She also made a very thin, almost clear broth "chili" … mostly pork chunks, onions, garlic, handfuls of her "spice" blend, and chili pepper chunks; no thickeners, no tomatoes, no beans. The broth alone was almost ethereal. She said it was "monterrey" (sp?) style. By varying the chili peppers, she could make it as hot or mild as anyone could want. One friend used to want it as hot as the hottest Thai food I've ever eaten … but I found that to be an uncomfortable balance on the palate, way too much heat.

I don't care for the gooey gloppy cheesy stuffed tortilla's, nor the burro's, or enchiladas, nor similar "Americanized" variations on the Mexican theme.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-27-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 08:47 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,693,210 times
Living here on the border, I think we have the best. It is not like the typical Tex-Mex but more like New Mexican with the Hatch green chiles as a big influence as well as the interior of Mexico. With the exception of Menudo and Mole, I like it all. Problem is that it is not always the healthiest. Yes, salpicon and other items are relatively healthy. I LOVE hot salsa. The kind that you feel like you have been baptized because you are sweating so much. The salsa is healthy but not the tostadas. LOL

Old 10-27-2018, 11:47 PM

8,552 posts, read 11,879,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Americans have done the same with BBQ, hamburgers, fried chicken, and apple pie. I can hardly stand being alive in this country.
Imagine that: Making food to suit our American tastes.

But seriously, what is wrong with food that has been "Americanized"? Who is to say it is not better than the original versions anyway? For example, I've had more authentic Asian foods, and I didn't really care for them. Sometimes Americanized is better.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 AM

59 posts, read 8,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Americans have done the same with BBQ, hamburgers, fried chicken, and apple pie. I can hardly stand being alive in this country.
Imagine that: Making food to suit our American tastes.

But seriously, what is wrong with food that has been "Americanized"? Who is to say it is not better than the original versions anyway? For example, I've had more authentic Asian foods, and I didn't really care for them. Sometimes Americanized is better.
Besides, there are more more Mexican born people in the US than any other foreign born group by far. They're all over the US and they've brought the same food they make in Mexico with them.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:36 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Too bad so much of it is unhealthy, especially the traditional dishes in Texas. I was raised on Tex Mex (which is called "Mexican food" in Texas).

But I really like some of the healthier dishes also. Great flavors and combinations of ingredients. I like pretty much everything that is made with the traditional ingredients. So it's hard for me to narrow down my favorites. I like rice, beans, tortillas, beef, chicken, cheese. etc. And I usually like to cover everything lightly with a salsa.
Don't really care if it isn't all that healthy as long as one doesn't eat it daily. And actually not all of it is unhealthy. We have vegetarian enchelladas (spelling) about once every couple of months. Nothing unhealthy about them. Served with a guacamole salad and you have a great meal. It is the chips that make it unhealthy. They really use very little meat in Mexican food and beans are not unhealthy.

My favorite Mexican food I guess is stuffed peppers. I also like really good, home made, spicy salsa.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:39 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I like chiles rellenos, cheese enchiladas and pork tamales.

huaraches
sopaipillas
guacamole
flan
chilaquiles
Good, fresh homemade corn tortillas
chile rellenos are my very favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink