U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:38 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,323,794 times

Advertisements

I love Mexican food. It's fast, and inexpensive and our local place is really nice to our little one. I usually get chile rellanos or vegetarian quesadillas or something spicy to eat in a soft tortilla.

A similar cuisine is from Uruguay and there is a local shop here that we love. The pastries and empanadas are all scratch made and delicious. It's a favorite spot to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 06:48 PM

278 posts, read 38,600 times
Tamales at Xmas.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:04 PM

14,310 posts, read 17,512,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I love all Mexican foods. I most often eat:
Chimichangas
Enchiladas
Quesadillas
Tortilla chips & salsa
Chimichangas aren't actually mexican. They were invented by somebody who dropped a burrito in the deep fat fryer at El Charro restaurant in Tucson, AZ. (Although the owner of Macayos restaurants in Phoenix says he invented them in the late 1940's). I never saw them on a menu when we lived in mexico.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM

4,735 posts, read 2,263,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah those are gringo taco "shells". When I go to a Mexican restaurant that uses soft, corn tortillas, I know I'm in the right place.
Tacos dorados are quite popular in Mexico. Sometimes they come rolled up, other times they come in a format very similar to what is popular in Tex Mex places in USA.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,822,870 times
I like many of the things above (when well made in a restaurant...I haven't cooked Mex at home. Here is a fav that's a little different than those mentioned...Huevos Del Rancho for lunch/brunch

Two eggs sunny side up served over soft corn tortillas, one covered with green tomatillo sauce and the other with red ranchero sauce. Served with rice and beans and more warm corn tortillas in foil. Started with chips and salsa. All with iced tea.

Old Yesterday, 05:05 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Chimichangas aren't actually mexican. They were invented by somebody who dropped a burrito in the deep fat fryer at El Charro restaurant in Tucson, AZ. (Although the owner of Macayos restaurants in Phoenix says he invented them in the late 1940's). I never saw them on a menu when we lived in mexico.
It is like so many foreign foods: what we call Mexican, Italian or Asian are foods with just a slight hint of authentic. Thanks for telling us what they really are.

Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

664 posts, read 141,199 times
Many immigrants to this country were faced with making the food they cooked at home with ingredients new to them. That is why I very rarely use the terms authentic and traditional. Those terms I associate with the individual household and what they make as family tradition.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 3,932,227 times
I'm not a fan of Mexican food except for genuine cheese enchiladas with authentic Mexican cheese. We have a restaurant nearby that uses mozzarella cheese!

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

664 posts, read 141,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm not a fan of Mexican food except for genuine cheese enchiladas with authentic Mexican cheese. We have a restaurant nearby that uses mozzarella cheese!
What kind of sauce?

Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

14,310 posts, read 17,512,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes, mozzarella is a substitute for Oaxahan cheese if one cannot obtain the 'real' stuff. It's Not The same flavor, but both have a mild flavor and melt well. Though mozzarella is usually more 'stretchy".

In mexico, Oaxahan cheese is frequently used in quesadillas (maybe only certain regions?). It's a pain to work with, especially when it's fresh - like the 1.5 pounds of it sitting in my fridge waiting for me. tonight's neighborhood party entrees: chicken enchiladas with hatch green chili sauce and chicken enchiladas suiza with a creamy tomatillo sauce. (I've never made the suiza before. Wish me luck!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink