U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM

4,748 posts, read 2,268,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
tonight's neighborhood party entrees: chicken enchiladas with hatch green chili sauce and chicken enchiladas suiza with a creamy tomatillo sauce. (I've never made the suiza before. Wish me luck!)
That sounds wonderful, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 AM

2,727 posts, read 3,695,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm not a fan of Mexican food except for genuine cheese enchiladas with authentic Mexican cheese. We have a restaurant nearby that uses mozzarella cheese!
Many years ago, we stopped off at a Mexican place in Old Town Albuquerque and they served enchiladas with Velvetta! Couldn't believe that ! Maybe they ran out of the real stuff but queso blanco is the preferred. Maybe the tourist don't know the difference.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 AM

14,976 posts, read 16,555,590 times
I like a nice burrito machaca with a salsa cruda and some crema or queso menonita.

But I have recently been making cemitas, though usually on a bolillo rather than a proper cemita bun.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM

7,003 posts, read 5,205,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Into the thread before someone shows up yammering about how this stuff is not authentic and real Mexican food is so much better!

3... 2... 1...
Its kind of a crock IMO. For a lot of reasons, not the least of which is there are plenty of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in this country, we share a large border, and there's nothing inherently difficult about the food/ingredients, or inherently offputting to American tastes. I've mostly never had any trouble finding pretty authentic food.

And the other thing, Mexico is a big country, with two coasts, so "authentic Mexican," would be different in different parts of the country. I worked with a guy that said his Mom used to make Tacos with potatoes in them. Never seen that before but he pointed out that "Taco" is generic like "Sandwich."

I do love me some Menudo, Carnitas, and Tamales.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM

120 posts, read 64,453 times
I like nachos, quesadillas, tacos and picadillo. Yum Yum

Old 10-29-2018, 11:14 AM

10,149 posts, read 16,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its kind of a crock IMO. For a lot of reasons, not the least of which is there are plenty of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in this country, we share a large border, and there's nothing inherently difficult about the food/ingredients, or inherently offputting to American tastes. I've mostly never had any trouble finding pretty authentic food.

And the other thing, Mexico is a big country, with two coasts, so "authentic Mexican," would be different in different parts of the country. I worked with a guy that said his Mom used to make Tacos with potatoes in them. Never seen that before but he pointed out that "Taco" is generic like "Sandwich."

I do love me some Menudo, Carnitas, and Tamales.
Not that it’s a benchmark for authentic, but you can even get a potato taco at Taco Bell!

To the person that mentioned fried tacos or tacos dorados, I adore them, but almost every Tex Mex restaurant here in Dallas will serve you a T Bell style prefab shell instead of actually frying a tortilla. That’s probably the source of the complaint about crispy tacos being “inauthentic.” I think this is the reason I joined city-data I. The first place — my shock over terrible tacos.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,502,191 times
Tortilla soup is my favorite from a near by place that puts every veggie know to man in it.. two wedges of avacado too.
Carne Assade
Chicken sour cream enchillades.

Flan is my all time favorite desert of any type of food

We frequent a restaurant named Mi Dia made from scratch. They have three types of mexico on the menu.

Authentic Mexio city dishese
Tex Mex
New Mexican

It is a good place and does well but they can not beat my go to one near my home

Old 10-29-2018, 01:18 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,224,267 times
Fish tacos, preferably with a view of the beach.
Margaritas
Carnitas, guilty pleasure.
Guacamole

I don't like Mexican rice or anything with bell peppers.
We had an odd experience several years ago. We ordered fajitas. They were served with stale tortillas slathered with butter. We didn't complain, but at the end of the meal, the waitress jeered at us for picking out the bell peppers. "That's what fajitas are all about," she said. And I replied, "Oh, I just eat them for the greasy stale tortillas." We stiffed her on the tip for being obnoxious.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,938,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, mozzarella is a substitute for Oaxahan cheese if one cannot obtain the 'real' stuff. It's Not The same flavor, but both have a mild flavor and melt well. Though mozzarella is usually more 'stretchy".

In mexico, Oaxahan cheese is frequently used in quesadillas (maybe only certain regions?). It's a pain to work with, especially when it's fresh - like the 1.5 pounds of it sitting in my fridge waiting for me. tonight's neighborhood party entrees: chicken enchiladas with hatch green chili sauce and chicken enchiladas suiza with a creamy tomatillo sauce. (I've never made the suiza before. Wish me luck!)
Then there's Monterrey Jack which hardly appears at all in Mexico but you should be able to find it almost anywhere in the US maybe even in the Wisconsin lol. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find it all in Mex. Other Mexican white cheeses would include Oaxaca, Quesadilla, Chihuahua, Asadero, Fresco, Panela etc. Chihuahua is one of my favorites and is also known as "Queso Menonita" (Mennonite) cheese.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:18 PM

4,748 posts, read 2,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Then there's Monterrey Jack which hardly appears at all in Mexico but you should be able to find it almost anywhere in the US maybe even in the Wisconsin lol. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find it all in Mex. Other Mexican white cheeses would include Oaxaca, Quesadilla, Chihuahua, Asadero, Fresco, Panela etc. Chihuahua is one of my favorites and is also known as "Queso Menonita" (Mennonite) cheese.
Lots of manchego too, I got hooked on that stuff as the texture suits me a bit more than Oaxaca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink