U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 AM

502 posts, read 352,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Griswold or Wagner skillets are quite pricey these days. And hard to find. I own two Griswolds.
The hunt is part of the fun!

About a year and a half ago I found two 10-inch Wagner skillets at a nearby thrift store. The staff at the thrift store were clueless. They had them marked for only $2 each! They were obviously a steal, especially since they had only light rust. They were easy to restore and recondition. I'm assuming that some little old lady in the area had died and her kids chucked out the pans when they were cleaning out her house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:47 AM

608 posts, read 202,002 times
I have at least 10 pieces of Griswold and Wagner in my "to be restored" pile. Need to set up an "E tank" in the spring and strip them bare, then reseason. Have at least 20 pieces on the shelf. We have an ultra rare #2..... She found it in a box lot at an auction that cost her $10. Multiple 5's,6's, 8's. We did a Maine vacation 2 years ago, lobster rolls and antiquing. Came home with probably 5 skillets. When you or your spouse is into antiquing or flea markets, you find them cheap at times.

Old Today, 01:51 AM

432 posts, read 71,853 times
Maybe the older they are, the easier they are to clean.

My late MIL gave me a cast iron frying pan when she and my late FIL retired, and it’s been my favorite and most-used piece of cookware for a long time. I only recently realized that it’s a Griswold #10, and it’s 11 3/4”. This information was furnished to me by my millennium child, who only recently “discovered” cast iron.

I use it all the time, and I always clean it with hot water, Dawn dishwashing liquid, and a dish brush or plastic scrubber. I never knew that you weren’t supposed to! I just wipe it down with a paper towel and a little oil once in awhile, and it’s never rusted.

Where I now live, there are cast iron pans just like it at garage sales and Goodwill. In fact, I picked up two slightly smaller (I’m too lazy to get up and check the sizes) for about $5 apiece, but my original pan is still the one I use the most. Lifting that thing keeps your arms strong, definitely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink