U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 02:51 PM

15,245 posts, read 16,310,338 times

Advertisements

This thread inspired me to get out my cast iron skillets and I've been using them daily. I think I'm using a 10-inch and an 8-inch. One is a Lodge and the other doesn't have a name on it. I also have a smaller one and a pot with a lid that I haven't used yet. They all came from my aunt's house.

Thanks for the reminder and all the good cleaning and seasoning tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 05:01 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,190,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
This thread inspired me to get out my cast iron skillets and I've been using them daily. I think I'm using a 10-inch and an 8-inch. One is a Lodge and the other doesn't have a name on it. I also have a smaller one and a pot with a lid that I haven't used yet. They all came from my aunt's house.

Thanks for the reminder and all the good cleaning and seasoning tips.
There is something about cast iron. I have much more expensive cookware, but my Lodge skillet has a permanent place on my stove and gets the most use.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 PM

19,757 posts, read 13,019,367 times
https://fieldcompany.com/

I discovered new American made thin walled, smooth iron skillets!

Have a look at the company website. These babies arenít cheap, but they sure look like great pans.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:17 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,699 posts, read 5,016,185 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Have a look at the company website. These babies arenít cheap, but they sure look like great pans.

They look nice!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,148,030 times
Quote:

I love cast iron but it's getting too heavy for my wrists to manipulate. I checked out the Fields pans because they look super, but one of the pictures shows a ridge around the bottom outside of the pan, which would mean it didn't heat evenly on electric glass stoves. I've written them to find out about it, but if anyone knows about this, I'd love to hear.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:13 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,148,030 times
I got my answer back from Fields pans but am not completely sure about it. They didn't actually say it was completely level on the bottom. Here's what they said:

The Field Skillet does include a heat ring at the base of the pan, but this ridge provides only 0.04" clearance from the bottom of the pan and should not interfere with heat transfer on your burner. For best results, we recommend using a burner that matches the width of your skillet at low-medium heat and allowing the pan to pre-heat for 5 minutes before use.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I got my answer back from Fields pans but am not completely sure about it. They didn't actually say it was completely level on the bottom. Here's what they said:

The Field Skillet does include a heat ring at the base of the pan, but this ridge provides only 0.04" clearance from the bottom of the pan and should not interfere with heat transfer on your burner. For best results, we recommend using a burner that matches the width of your skillet at low-medium heat and allowing the pan to pre-heat for 5 minutes before use.
I would think that a pan of this quality would be level except for .04Ē heat ring. They say the ring should not interfere with heat transfer. I might be concerned about using this on my induction burner. Otherwise, I donít see a problem on gas or electric.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 18,631,493 times
Quote:

$215 for a 12 inch skillet?

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
$215 for a 12 inch skillet?

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.
They are expensive, for sure.

But I have to say if you have ever wrestled an old Lodge 12Ē around, that Field looks pretty good. The old Lodges are heavy and not as well balanced as vintage Griswolds or Wagners. And I have a terrible time keeping the Lodge seasoned.

You can pick up a cheap Chinese iron pan pretty cheaply almost anywhere though. They wonít be as smooth though.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 AM

14,546 posts, read 17,950,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

I'm a skeptic by nature, so take my comment on that basis.

Do you really think they are going to admit that their skillet doesn't work well on an electric stove top? That would reduce their customer base by around one-half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink