U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

5,867 posts, read 7,093,742 times

Advertisements

The television is on in the background for some noise. I was 1/2 listening when one commercial caught my attention.

Kraft is now packaging cheese blends specifically for egg dishes and macaroni and cheese. They call it "Expertly Paired." I can't imagine needing to buy a shredded cheese specifically "designed" for eggs. I would guess that 2 packages of different cheeses can be purchased for about the same price as this "new" product.

I suppose in the days of full meals/recipes delivered for prep at home it makes sense as a way to increase profits.

Silly product to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

7,990 posts, read 3,882,772 times
Shredded cheese blends have been around for ages (Italian blends, Mexican blends, etc.) and I like them because I don't have to buy six packages of shredded cheese to get a 6-cheese Italian blend.

The only thing that has changed is the marketing.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 8,881,411 times
But things did start to get truly silly with the invention of convenience foods. They were marketing the idea that cooking from scratch is next to impossible, which it isn't.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

15,629 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Shredded cheese blends have been around for ages (Italian blends, Mexican blends, etc.) and I like them because I don't have to buy six packages of shredded cheese to get a 6-cheese Italian blend.

The only thing that has changed is the marketing.
Yep. It's just a change in marketing strategy. I don't buy packaged cheese blends often, but when needed, they're very convenient and not silly at all.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

7,990 posts, read 3,882,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But things did start to get truly silly with the invention of convenience foods. They were marketing the idea that cooking from scratch is next to impossible, which it isn't.
Who wants to buy six different blocks of cheese and manually grate them all? Can I do it? Sure. Do I want to? No thanks.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

15,629 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Who wants to buy six different blocks of cheese and manually grate them all? Can I do it? Sure. Do I want to? No thanks.
Definitely not when I have thirty minutes to get myself and the kid fed on busy nights.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

17,430 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Different flavors of potato chips seem kinda ridiculous...wasabi, maple etc.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,233,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Different flavors of potato chips seem kinda ridiculous...wasabi, maple etc.

Why? Many of them are quite tasty.

No one who doesn't want to buy them has to buy them, but they are available for those who do want to buy them.

I don't care at all for raisins and consider chocolate-covered raisins to be an abomination. That doesn't mean they shouldn't exist; it just means I don't buy them. On the bright side, that leaves more for the people who do like them. Same with things I like that others do not. Like wasabi potato chips.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
Those Kraft blends are pretty good. I was using them until my kiddo became allergic to potato. Now I'm grating cheese from different blocks, which is much less convenient.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

31 posts, read 2,638 times
If you watch the sales prices and/or buy the generic brands, a lot of shredded cheese blends are cheaper than buying it by the block and grating it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or