U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM

8,852 posts, read 8,186,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
I have made this once in awhile over the years and still enjoy it and since it makes so much, I give some to my dog. Today, a commercial for Kraft Mac & cheese came on the tv and my dog jumped up and licked the screen. I guess it's time to make it again. LOL.
I have never made macaroni and cheese except by starting with Mornay sauce, so I shall not opine on Kraft, but I will say your dog story is hilarious.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:01 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
I love the stories in here connected with food memories.

I did not know until I began a relationship with a Canadian how big Kraft Mac n Cheese is up there. They simply refer to it as "KD" (Kraft Dinner). They laugh at themselves for it--it's mentioned in their TV commercials and in Canadian TV shows.

"Kraft Dinner has been called the de facto national dish of Canada.[2] Packaged in Quebec with Canadian wheat and milk, and other ingredients from Canada and the US,[12] Canadians purchase 1.7 million of the 7 million boxes sold globally each week[13] and eat an average of 3.2 boxes of Kraft Dinner each year, 55% more than Americans. The meal is the most popular grocery item in the country
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_Dinner

It's not something I grew up eating myself, and I was surprised when I read the article that it has been around since 1937. I never heard of it until the 1980s, when I was well into adulthood and my sister was feeding it to my niece.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,508,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I sometimes make Kraft and add some shredded cheddar and or mozzarella.

Me Too

My favorite add is Smoked Cheddar

Old 10-30-2018, 10:59 AM

8,198 posts, read 7,492,893 times
Now I want macaroni and cheese.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Now I want macaroni and cheese.
I just had some.

Wasn't Kraft, though. I've upgraded to Cracker Barrel, the cheddar and havarti one. The orange cheese is in a packet, no need to add water, just squeeze it out over the hot macaroni. High-class.

I added mixed vegetables. That was the other night. Microwaved the leftovers for lunch today.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

10,180 posts, read 16,748,016 times
I love the slippery creaminess of Kraft dinner. I did eat it as a child, so maybe itís another one of those things you had to grow up on. No peas and tuna in mine please!

Homemade Mac and cheese is so heavy and can tend to be gummy with over-cooked pasta. Iíll eat it, but itís not a treat to me. Come to think of it, mom made that when I was a kid too, but I never liked it.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I love the slippery creaminess of Kraft dinner. I did eat it as a child, so maybe it’s another one of those things you had to grow up on. No peas and tuna in mine please!

Homemade Mac and cheese is so heavy and can tend to be gummy with over-cooked pasta. I’ll eat it, but it’s not a treat to me. Come to think of it, mom made that when I was a kid too, but I never liked it.
I never had homemade mac n cheese until I was an adult. That's not something my mother made. (I don't think I ate CHEESE until I was an adult, except the kind that was on pizza. I thought it was disgusting. I'm over that, hehehe.) But I don't really like the homemade that much. The fake stuff sticks to the macaroni so much better.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:58 PM

1,754 posts, read 709,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never had homemade mac n cheese until I was an adult. That's not something my mother made. (I don't think I ate CHEESE until I was an adult, except the kind that was on pizza. I thought it was disgusting. I'm over that, hehehe.) But I don't really like the homemade that much. The fake stuff sticks to the macaroni so much better.

My late MIL had a thing about cheese and butter. Wouldn't eat them. DH was an adult before he realized lasagna was supposed to have cheese in it (they were Italian).

About cheese sticking to the noodles - it is not enough to throw some cheese in with the cooked noodles. It gets clumpy that way. You need to make a white sauce first, melt the cheese in that, then add to the noodles.

My step mom made THE BEST homemade M&C, she used an entire bar of Cracker Barrel cheddar and it was baked in the oven.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:05 PM

2,995 posts, read 1,719,313 times
The trick to getting real cheese to stick to mac and cheese is to add cream cheese to the hard cheese. It forms a creamy cheese that oozes and melts right in

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-30-2018 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
797 posts, read 227,862 times
That doesn't even sound appetizing.

Quote:
Homemade Mac and cheese is so heavy and can tend to be gummy with over-cooked pasta. I?ll eat it, but it?s not a treat to me. Come to think of it, mom made that when I was a kid too, but I never liked it.

That. Especially the way my dad makes it, gimme the Blue Box over homemade any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or