U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:19 PM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My late MIL had a thing about cheese and butter. Wouldn't eat them. DH was an adult before he realized lasagna was supposed to have cheese in it (they were Italian).

About cheese sticking to the noodles - it is not enough to throw some cheese in with the cooked noodles. It gets clumpy that way. You need to make a white sauce first, melt the cheese in that, then add to the noodles.

My step mom made THE BEST homemade M&C, she used an entire bar of Cracker Barrel cheddar and it was baked in the oven.
I assume (but we know what that means) that some of the mac n cheese I've had over the years WAS made that way, but it just never seemed to actually be glommed onto the macaroni right.

I made it once in my life, and that had to be twenty-five years ago. It was my sister's bridal shower. I made it with a white sauce with cheese added (and I had broccoli in it). Everyone liked it. I don't think I had any. I was up all night cooking and sick of looking at it all the food by the time the shower occurred.

People who attended told me I should be a caterer, but most of them were my mother's older friends. Just one time making that much food was enough for a lifetime. I would NEVER EVER want to be a caterer!!!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 PM

70 posts, read 63,251 times
Loved the story how your dog licked the TV during a Kraft Mac&Cheese commercial. Your dog has good taste! Love Kraft Mac&Cheese.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:37 PM

7,612 posts, read 10,414,111 times
I keep Annie's on hand but i don't know why. We never have it.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:45 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,495,745 times
I love it. I used to make it and doctor it up with butter and more cheese.

Low carb now, so I don't indulge.... maybe on my death bed....

Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 PM

4,249 posts, read 1,574,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I think Mac & Cheese is well liked in many countries outside the US, however the US has akways really loved Mac & Cheese and helped make it a much more prominant dish, and you can buy Kraft Mac & Chesse in the UK.
My sister moved to the UK many years ago and there were obviously foods she missed. No Amazon back then. It was easy to find great Christmas presents for her every year. Her faves happened to be true maple syrup, Kraft Mac & Cheese, a specific brand of American-style bacon.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 PM

4,249 posts, read 1,574,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I love the stories in here connected with food memories.
Here's a fun one...may have told this here already, so apologies!

Was hired to do breeding songbird surveys in a remote part of AK for the summer. Our crew of 3 plus a mountain of tents, research equipment, personal items, fuel, and food were dropped at the end of a gravel runway in early May. The weather was so bad the cargo plane barely made it through a hole in the clouds and snow, dumped everything as quickly as possible, and took off before it closed in again. We couldn't even put up the tents or reach anyone by radio to suggest maybe picking us up again. All the gear and the food froze to the ground.

There was a small metal cargo container abandoned on the runway so we crawled inside to wait it out, snacking on whatever dry food we could dig out of the piles. Pilot Bread crackers, peanut butter, jam, little bits of salami that could be shaved off the frozen hunk, canned tuna. We thawed food packages and containers by wearing them inside our clothes. The fresh food was hard as cement or spoiled.

Days later the weather finally let up, we got the cook tent up, fired up the stove, and tried to cook a meal. There was a block of Velveeta with Jalopeno pepper cheese. Nothing made a dent in that stuff, even a hard freeze. At first we turned up our noses at it but we were getting hungry.

Then there was a long period when the plane couldn't reach us due to weather or mechanical problems. There was literally no solid food left in camp. We began watching the migrating caribou with more than passing interest. Resisted catching and eating birds because that would ruin the research. We were supposed to be counting them not consuming them. Only a few spawned out salmon in the creek and they wouldn't take lures. We tried to chase them into small side channels and knock them on the head with sticks. They were pretty far gone...no one wanted to touch them. Tolerable if grilled, but a bear had stepped on our tiny camp grill and chewed it up.

Finally, in desperation someone cut open the peppery rubbery Velveeta, warmed up the tuna, and spread a gelatinous mass of it on the Pilot Bread. We thought we'd died and gone to heaven. We loved our discovery so much we wrote it down in the field log and prepared it for guests. Funny that the air crews who brought us fresh supplies periodically never seemed to feel the same way about it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-30-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 PM

120 posts, read 64,908 times
Oh Oh Parnassia. You made me feel like I was there. Thank you for getting my story. You gave me a few little journeys that I would never had taken if you hadn't answered my post.

You are a gem!

Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 PM

18,922 posts, read 12,528,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I think Mac & Cheese is well liked in many countries outside the US, however the US has akways really loved Mac & Cheese and helped make it a much more prominant dish, and you can buy Kraft Mac & Chesse in the UK.

I really love Mac & Cheese, indeed I like a lot of dishes and drinks that America has embraced with the exception of Root Beer.
I think you would have to have had your first root beer when you were a kid, to like it. It is a bit of an acquired taste. But good old fashioned root beer tastes pretty good to me. And, actually, root beer is a traditional country beverage actually brewed from roots, such as sassafras. I don’t know if anyone still brews their own anymore. But there are some local brewers and bottlers around the country.

Regarding mac and cheese, of any sort, what’s not to like? I imagine baked mac covered with good British cheddar would be to die for.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:43 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,492,893 times
My Charleston grandmother's maid used to make the best mac and cheese. She used a half dozen eggs in it.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:31 PM

15,009 posts, read 16,576,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
How sad that you didn't read the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
How sad that you didn't read the thread.
Your original post did not solicit any specific type of response, therefore it is open to any relevant commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or